Dark Knight Rises (review and discussion) [major spoilers from second post onwards]

I loved it. I saw talia comeing in the rain storm. I really expected the cop to become robin, but replacement batman was cool. I felt the whole prison escape was great, and in a city underseiged I do feel the batman needs an explanation how he got home.

Like Dark Knight, this is a difinitive batman movie. I felt that the bat is very much like batman beyond batmoble.

Catwoman felt she walked right off the comic page. Hathaway won me over right from the start.

All in all 8.5 out of 10

I'm quite happy with the final scene being the new dark knight literally rising atop that platform. Smashcut to black. The Dark Knight Rises.

I see what you did there, Nolan.

James, I like some of your flavorful additions. Maybe they could have fit that in if they'd made the movie 2 hours and 50 minutes, instead of 2:44 (like we'd know the difference).

The only thing that caught me by surprise was that Ra's al Ghul was really dead. I figured he'd come back again.

Yes, logically a bomb that will go off in exactly 5 months, to the point that you can have a countdown, all based on some sort of containment decay or something, doesn't make a whole lotta sense. Probably would've been better if they'd had the bomb not have a countdown normally, and Talia's device would just start a 15 minute countdown, long enough for them to get out of the city.

I liked it. And hell, I liked the cheesy happy ending. Nolan directed The Prestige, and you can't make something disappear and end up with a happy audience unless you bring it back again.

"You realize I have to kill you now? You're just going to have to imagine the heat."

Great lines from Bane.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Great movie! Finally an accurate portrayal of Bane as a character.

A spectacular finale to a trilogy that understood that the best Batman stories aren't about focusing on Batman exclusively, but that it's the characters and their inter-personal dynamics with each other that are an equal share of Batman's mythos & appeal.

I also give extensive props to the number of instances of Batman-lore from the comics that are given homage in one form or another throughout the film.

And while I had my reservations about Hatthaway as Catwoman, the lady nailed it. THAT'S the best Selina Kyle I've seen outside of the comics (& Arkham City), period.

As the OP, said, this was a comic-book movie, and as such it was the best comic-book movie (or movie period) I've seen this year. Avengers, however, was the best superhero movie I saw this year. A quibble, I know.

It was an epic finish to the trilogy. It wasn't better than the Dark Knight, but then I don't think it could have been -- it had a different role to play. Batman Begins began Bruce's story, DK Rises brings the epic conclusion. The Dark Knight, however, was classic Batman in all its glory against his archnemesis.

As I told my son, who was grappling with the "which one was best?" question, in The Dark Knight Rises, you knew Bane was coming -- you knew Bruce was going to have to come back and take him down. In contrast, with the Dark Knight, while you knew Batman would win, everything else was largely up for grabs if for no other reason than trying to piece together the chaotic insanity of the Joker.

Great movie. Fantastic series.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It's funny, because Marion Cotillard was rumored to be playing Talia right from the point she was cast, but Nolan's camp denied it. And I knew that a young girl had been hired to play young Talia... but somehow, I forgot all of that when the movie was on and let it deliver the twist.

When they implied that Bane was the child, the son of Ras Al Ghul, I was like, "uhhh, ok. I'll go with that. It's different, but I'll accept it." But, ha! joke's on me.

Nolan just directs the movie so confidently, I just accept what I'm watching and don't think about it until after. He's a magician.

I'm not very familiar with the comics and avoided casting spoilers so I was a fresh audience. That he also managed to keep some true fans like yourself off balance, says even more about the direction. Very impressive!

Joker

First Post
or the nuclear macguffin, which never made sense to me (Only one person can shut it off? It's about to blow but a car crash doesn't do anything to it? Only one person can set it off?)

Nukes aren't particularly unstable. They're complicated devices which can survive falls from planes. Usually if a nuke is damaged it will be disabled, i.e. it won't blow up.

Jemal

Adventurer
I really expected the cop to become robin, but replacement batman was cool.

Technically he was.. Did you catch the part where he's grabbing his gear right before spelunking and the clerk says he should use his real name 'robin'?

I was also one of those hoping through the whole movie that he'd take up the mantle before the end and we'd get to see him in the suit.

Technically he was.. Did you catch the part where he's grabbing his gear right before spelunking and the clerk says he should use his real name 'robin'?

I was also one of those hoping through the whole movie that he'd take up the mantle before the end and we'd get to see him in the suit.

I actually ment full cuostume (most likely more like red robin) to be a bright shining day light defender. A replacement during the no mans land then when batman came back become partners

Ahnehnois

First Post
Nukes aren't particularly unstable. They're complicated devices which can survive falls from planes. Usually if a nuke is damaged it will be disabled, i.e. it won't blow up.
Even if it's a minute from detonating? To be fair, I don't really understand how these things work, and it may very well be scientifically accurate, it just bothered me watching it.

Fiery James said:
It's funny, because Marion Cotillard was rumored to be playing Talia right from the point she was cast, but Nolan's camp denied it. And I knew that a young girl had been hired to play young Talia... but somehow, I forgot all of that when the movie was on and let it deliver the twist.
I thought it a fine piece of acting; despite having every reason to suspect her as being the bad guy, she sold a lot of us on the contrary.

Last edited:

When an atom of a radioactive element is hit by a neutron, it can split into two smaller atoms, and shoot off more neutrons, which can then hit other atoms. Usually, in nature, there aren't enough radioactive atoms together in one place for this to keep happening; the neutrons go flying off and hit non-radioactive matter.

But if you have a high enough density of radioactive atoms (a critical mass), what happens is that one atom decays, which spits out neutrons that hits others and makes them decay, on and on and on in a cascade. Each of these reactions releases energy, and if you've got enough, it'll explode.

Now, if you just stick one 'sub-critical' lump of plutonium next to another 'sub-critical' lump, together they can 'go critical,' and you'll kill everyone nearby with radiation. What most nuclear weapons do is have a sub-critical quantity of uranium or plutonium, then use external explosives to compress that mass into a smaller volume. Like if you take a marshmallow and squeeze it into a tiny ball, only you've got something already quite dense and you're compacting it more.

This sets off a massive chain reaction, which explodes.

(Modern nuclear weapons use a fission bomb like this to trigger a fusion reaction, but I understand that less well.)

Now, this is a movie, and they're talking about some sort of fusion energy device. Their device looks to be WAY smaller than any fusion reactor I've ever heard about, outside of maybe Battletech. I assume it was designed with Hollywood science (i.e., bullsh*t). If I followed the exposition correctly, the reactor had some sort of core that could be modified into a bomb, that could be triggered at any moment. Fair enough.

Then, for a bit of (in my opinion) unnecessary extra tension, they tossed in the fact that, if removed from its housing, this bomb becomes unstable . . . but a very precise sort of unstable, so you can predict when it will go off, to the second, 5 months from now.

Again, I think it would have made more sense if they'd just left that out. Instead, have the bomb have both an immediate trigger and a countdown. The villains could be waiting to watch Gotham fall apart, and then will cap things off by blowing up the city as they get away. When Batman gets back, he could have led the effort to free the city, and things could have gone exactly the same.

Talia, like, has the control device and presses button 1 to prime the bomb, which starts the countdown. Then when she pressed button 2 to actually set it off, the jammer stops that. Realizing Batman and company are going to try to disarm the bomb, she decides to martyr herself for the cause, and stays in the city so she can keep control of the bomb until it explodes.

But that's just a small nitpick. Overall I loved the movie.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases