Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS

Both Marius and Morgrym could find easy hiding spots all around if needed. There are so many crevices among the stone barriers that it would be almost natural to hide from scouts, even in flight.

“I’ll be fine in the dark.” – Arvana responds to her companions’ doubts. “Better to scout without torches and the like…” – for a second, she glances over her shoulders, possibly considering Reynard’s fate. “As we came up, I thought I heard…” – she begins, faintly. “Aah… Never mind. We should get your dagger as far from here as possible.” – she looks once more towards the vague lights to the south. “Question is, where should we go?” – she looks at Marius while Morgrym subtly steps away to evaluate the dagger.

“Listen, as I said, I can take you to some friends. They know these things. They travel a lot. Odds are Adalous is known to them – as well as his general intentions. If you want to give it a try, we can go towards the Road of Blood, or maybe the Road of Legacy. From there it would be easy to find them, I take it.” – she seems distressed at first, but in due time she gets a hold of herself.

“Either that or we could go towards the villages, restock and ask around. If we’re subtle, who’d take notice?”
Marius has a fair knowledge of the region. They’d be a few hours from the Road of Legacy, and some more from the Road of Blood. The area is dry and dusty, hard to live on. Mercenaries and brigands are scattered all around. Still, some salt-of-the-earth dwarves chose to make their homes in mining villages all around. It wouldn’t take long to find one, should they try.

Morgrym has similar notions from the area. It might be tougher to wonder the stone desert, but Arvana’s option might lead them towards a trap, should she turn out a traitor. Gods know how many would be waiting. As they talk about their next steps, the dwarf observes the dagger. His eyes widen as he perceives the lingering souls walking around as unrecognizable shades, vaguely human for the most part. Other shapes, far more eccentric, roam around, passing through stones and bodies, unaffected and unaffecting.

[See below for the dagger’s description]

Marius and Morgrym realize that, whatever decision is made, it involves equal amounts of risk and reward. As they consider their next move, Arvana climbs the nearby hill, trying to get a better view of the area. Standing above the stones, she squints a bit, turning in all directions with grace and confidence. She stops for a while, her silhouette blackened by the lights beyond. Finally, she climbs down, wearing a gaze of disappointment.
“Maran burns, just as the Gardener said. But not entirely. I think part of the docs is still safe, as well as most of the outer rim. It seems the fire spreads from the Helen’s. Smuggler’s docks might be safe as well. We could try for a boat.” – she falls silent as she cleans the dust from her gloves.

ENSLAVER

This dagger does not seem to have been forged by any methods known to mortals. On the contrary, the sheer perfection met on both hilt and blade could only find a match in legends… And that’s coming from a dwarf. It also looks like the piece changed a bit since the last time Morgrym saw it. The adornments placed upon it are somehow sharper, as if the hilt was embellished while hidden away. Also, details he wouldn’t have noticed before seem to have appeared. Odd patterns swirl around the blade, making it nearly… alive.

On closer inspection, it reveals a strong, pulsating aura. Unlikely many other items and artifacts, though, it does not present the usual layers of spell-weaving, making it difficult to identify its exact function. One thing becomes clear, though, to anyone with a discerning eye for magic: the dagger behaves more like a spontaneous magical manifestation, as a natural planar gate or a magical beast.

The orderly nature of the blade defines its powers and the ways they work. The blade can transport anyone immediately to a location, even across planes, or bring anyone or anything to the user’s location, according to the will of its wielder. There is a restriction, though: the blade will only unite objects and people bound to each other by undisputable right or unbroken vows. If one side of the link can’t be moved, the other will be taken to it, despite the wielder’s choice.
In order to employ the dagger, the wielder must offer it part of its own blood. The blade might be used by offering someone else’s blood, but it would be restricted to bring people and objects linked to the one that bled on the blade. In such cases, the wielder would still have the power to decide what would be transported.

Bound by honor, the weapon charges the sacrificed person with a debt. Upon death, the soul of the sacrificed returns to the dagger and remains with it, lingering around it, never to be released. Anyone cut by the dagger will be able to feel its presence and sense its general direction, a side effect of the power the artifact exerts over the soul of the sacrificed.

[System: the sacrificed suffers 1d4 points of damage each time the dagger is used. It transports the sacrificed to a person or thing sworn or belonging to him, or vice-versa. From then on, the sacrificed will be able to locate the dagger with a simple perception test, feeling its general direction. The dagger may be used as many times as desired, but will repeat the damage delivered every time it is employed.]

HAGADARK

“You walked too much, and talked even more, alchemist…” – Klutha retorts. “I prefer Hala do the talking for me…” – she points out the blade attached to her back, an enchanted bone sword worthy of a name. “And then, again, why bleed when there’s no need?”
The six hunters follow Hagadarth unquestioningly. The little tribe was one of the many to come across the oceans, from beyond the Old Kingdom. Dwarven politics constantly find in orcs and half-orcs appropriate martyrs and slaves. When the tribes realized there were opportunities across the seas, many decided to leave, settling around the dwarven colonies and, sometimes, against the slopes of the mountains. War, gold and dwarves to slay. What else could an orc desire?

Most of Hagadark’s allied tribe was curiously comprised of half-orcs, though. Orc blood was almost brought to extinction during the Old Kingdom’s expansionist campaign, even though some tribes still retain blood purity. For the four half-breeds in the hunting party, Hagadarth’s inspired words were recomforting, as always. The pure-blood pair in the back, though, did not return amiable looks towards the alchemist, mostly referred to as “shaman” among the tribesmen. The old orcs resented him for his odd behavior. They resented his smooth talk and his human heritage. They resented Klutha’s leadership, as well as her closeness to one particular pure-blood named Ghor, now left behind to lead the rest of the encampment. They resented a lot of things, maybe because there was little they could understand besides violence and pleasure. Still, in a way, they knew Hagadarth was right. That was one of the reasons some orc kings in the past took human females for partners. They needed human sagacity and craftiness if they were to survive. The time of the orcs might as well have passed. They knew it… And they resented the world for it.

[I'm using the opportunity to settle your character and re-settle Marius and Morgrym. Since I rushed things back at the start, I'll use this post to allow development as we align time and position, lol]

@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @MetaVoid

Last edited:

Hagadark smiles. His human face with too wide mouth splits in half in something humans might call a terrifying grin. But with small, barely pronounced tusks, it is nothing to the orc-born.

"Well, yes. I do have experience both with orcs and humans. Thus, neither trusts me completely. But letting your sword talk instead of you limits you to being a weapon. A weapon to be sent wherever, unthinking, killing for unknown cause. And yet, you think, you analyze, you worry about the consequences. Take the power into your hands and time to actually talk to people. You can actually refuse or even actively oppose those that would pay you, but harm someone you care about. Or you could at least get a wider picture instead of worrying about it."

He takes a leaf to enhance his own endurance and starts chewing. He checks his bearings on an ornate compass. "We should be getting close. Another night, perhaps two."

OOC: I would hazard that orcs would travel in te night rather than through the day?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“Who are these people yeh know, lass?” Morgrym asked Arvanna. “We dae need supplies,” he said. “I cuild create some berries an’ water,” he said. “But might be better t’ ‘ave real food. If there’s a village on the way t’ the road, we shuild stop there.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I agree, we need to supply for wherever we're going next since we fled the city without preparation. Lead on, Arvana. And we get some time to think before we make a decision. We should look for this mage, but also be wary of the daggers lure. Those snake things now know we have it."

After Arvana indicates the direction he melds into shadows ranging across and around his companions, the shadows of the night his friends.

Archon Basileus

First Post
MARIUS/MORGRYM

Arvana starts to climb the steep wall towards west, stepping carefully as she finds a trail upwards. “You know them simply as the night elves. My people call them the Sorrowful, on account of the sad tale of their queen’s loss, ages ago. This particular group, led by a man named Endoras, helped me in the past, as I travelled to lands that were unknown to me back then…” – as she reaches the top of the stone mound, she looks around, trying to uncover the easiest way.

“They have great knowledge of Gaelia. This is why I think they might guide us towards your target.” – she looks at her companions, as if to ask for help finding a trail. “There should be a gatherer’s camp not far from here. We can resupply there and move on towards the western road, where the Sorrowful might be.”
She indicates the way, allowing her companions to take point. Despite her nimble reflexes, she seems to have difficulty working the terrain directly, a problem not shared by Morgrym and Marius.

As the group moves west, the desert becomes a jungle of stone columns, visited by harsh winds and thick clouds of dust. The cold air of the night howls through the wastes, giving the area an ominous appearance. After some time, the trio arrives at an open area, where the formations seem to have been destroyed by potent forces. As soon as they gain a detritus slope, they see a vast plain area, greyed against the moonlight and covered in remnants of a past war. Scattered all over the dry, sterile field, pieces of massive dwarven war machines share space with tore parts of stone golems. A faint gleam denounces the presence of a bonfire amidst the wreckage, and a cloud of vaporous smoke comes from the same area. Slowly, the wind brings the vanishing noise of a steam engine struggling to work.

HAGADARK

Renewed by his medicines, the alchemist leads the way, sided by the warrior and followed closely by the hunters. As they move southwest, the planes open up, leaving a great deal of the dark hills behind.

Soon enough, though, the group sighs a chasm in the distance. Throughout the south, the skeleton of the old Heolford Bridge can be seen. The massive structure allows ten men to go through side by side. The bridge is the fastest way across, but it might be under watch, considering these troubled times. Going a bit further north might allow the group to go down the chasm and, following it under the bridge, they could use a natural cave to reappear on the other side.

It would delay the trip, though.

The swordswoman looks at Hagadarth, awaiting his decision.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Marius takes the point, his purple eyes easily finding the trail and his reflexes matching that of Arvana. After they arrive, he looks over the plain looking at lighted places.

"Do you know for sure these are elves, Arvana? We wouldn't really like to barge into an orc or goblin camp. How far would you say they are? And how many of them should there be?"

"I can scout ahead in the dark. Eventually warn you about any sentries or even disable them. But if we're trying to be friendly that may not be a good idea. So, I warn you ahead of time and we can decide then if we want to approach them or go toward the fires and wait to be challenged."

HAGADARTH
Soon enough, though, the group sighs a chasm in the distance. Throughout the south, the skeleton of the old Heolford Bridge can be seen. The massive structure allows ten men to go through side by side. The bridge is the fastest way across, but it might be under watch, considering these troubled times. Going a bit further north might allow the group to go down the chasm and, following it under the bridge, they could use a natural cave to reappear on the other side.

It would delay the trip, though.

The swordswoman looks at HagadarthK, awaiting his decision.

Hagadark looks at his hunters, noting the combination of fatigue and anticipation at the possibility of combat at the bridge. They, however, are not here to pillage and plunder, but the find some people. And fighting at the bridge is hardly good position to be in, especially if you're the one attacking.

"We take to the caves. We'll be slower, but may pass unnoticed. And in any case, we have an advantage in the darkness."
"Prepare for stealth! If any of you causes our discovery by charging into combat, I'll use you for my next mutagen test." the language of diplomacy among orcs, a threat. He sighs. Things could be so much better if he could breed more human into the orcs and more orc into humans.

He takes out tanglefoot bag in his hand, load flashbang powder and acid flask into his wristsheats and drinks one of his potions.
"Move out. Scout, with me, Klutha, lead them behind us at a good distance. Say, 50 paces?"

OOC: it's HagadarK - he drank Heightened Awareness extract.

Archon Basileus

First Post
MORGRYM/MARIUS (O-20)

"Do you know for sure these are elves, Arvana? We wouldn't really like to barge into an orc or goblin camp. How far would you say they are? And how many of them should there be?"

“We should be careful. My acquaintances are elfic, yes, but… They’d never be this far from the road. And they wouldn’t be this noisy.” – she moves closer to the monk, trying to assert the situation as they go.

“We can try and get some visuals. If you go closer, I’ll move to high ground” – she taps a leather tube under her cloak. “I might be able to scout the area, at least a bit.” – she then turns to Morgrym. “Any tricks under your sleeve?”

HAGADARK (N-23)

The group follows the orders of the half-orc down to the detail. Funny thing, despite the chaotic nature of the species, they know how to respect one’s orders. Back west, in Laholt, it is said some would-be lords used such trait to their advantage, waging war against their lawful leaders by harnessing the power of an orc legion. As soon as they got their hands on their petty thrones, though, the greenskin mercenaries turned against them, turning cities and castles into hostages.

The purebloods frown at the command though, despite their obedience. Klutha’s presence dissuades them from doing any harm by detouring or charging ahead. As much as they hate the woman, she can hold her ground in a fight, and they know it. The others would likely take Hagadark’s side as well. It pays to outnumber purebloods in a hunting party, after all.

With heightened senses, Hagadark can easily find a secret, safe way down. Vision grows in darkness, revealing the grey, sharp ends of the canyon, covered in petrified trees. Soon enough, the party finds shelter beneath the stiffened branches, putting themselves into march towards the passage on the other side.

As they approach the bridge, Hagadark can see the black shapes of armed soldiers against the moonlight. As he thought before, the bridge is under watch. Whether they are dwarves, orcs or saurians, he cannot tell. The place is swallowed in darkness, both up above and down below. Surely they can see in the dark, odds being they’ve prepared to fend off any warring parties to try and pass through.

After a long, calculated walk, the group arrives at the entrance of the cave, not far from the bridge itself. The opening in the stone would allow twenty men side by side to go through. The terrain is quite broken, though, housing a colorful explosion of different fungi, as well as a now lively crowd of insects, shining against the pale moonlight that passes through with difficulty.

As Hagadark scouts ahead, he stops dead on his tracks for a second. He sees a pair of large, glowing yellow eyes, staring at the hunters’ general direction, unblinking and unmoving. Whoever – or whatever – it is, the creature stands right in the middle of the way, making it a lot harder to go through the cave without being noticed.

The half-orc forces its heightened senses to try and uncover anything else. His ears pick on a heavy breath, faint and controlled, as if the creature had somehow noticed their presence. He also notices the rugged steps of clawed creatures within that cave, probably two. On occasion, his eyes meet the quick flickering of lesser, bestial, gazes surrounding the first pair of eyes he noticed. The smell coming from inside is not very inviting, as well. Masqueraded by the fungi, it suggests rotten flesh and excrements within a good distance.

Klutha signals to Hagadark, as if to ask what detains him. They do not seem to notice the creature – or creatures – beyond.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Near Maran
Night
Round 0

“Elves,” Morgrym muttered when Arvana named her friends. But he followed on through the desert of stone columns until they came to the plain and the wreckage of a dwarven war. He scowled and studied the campfire below.

“Scavengers?” He snorted in disgust.

When Arvana asked what he could do, he said, “I cuild create fog ‘r mist t’ cover us, but tha’ moight look suspicious oot ‘ere in the desert,” he said. “I c’n provide light, or water. Nothin’ much else ‘elpful at the moment,” he said. “I say we get as close as we can sneaky-like an’ see wot we can see. If ‘tis safe, then we walk on in th’open sae’s no’ t’ be suspicious.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Endure Elements, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain), Barkskin, Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Neurotic

"Keep the spells for when we need to run or hide. Right now, let's use the darkness and scout out. Arvana, Morgrym, I'll find the high place for you to hide and look over the camp that has no sentries on it. Once that's done, I'll go down to check. You can cover me if I get into trouble. Or we can approach them, peacefully without revealing how many of us there is." comments the monk

He motions toward the light.
"Let's approach some more, I'll go forward checking as I go. Do you see any raise that you think would be good for your observation?"

he leads the way, uncharacteristically visible to his companions even while yards in front of them instead of just disappearing into the dark.

Stealth; Perception: 1D20+8 = [4]+8 = 12; 1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29 - pathetic stealth, add 2 more if any observers lack darkvision (i.e. if Marius has concealment) - but at least I can notice them too :)

Remove ads