Lord of the Rings TV Show Reboot

"Spin off" could mean anything. "Bywater Abbey". "Cheers" set in the Green Dragon Inn. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. Where Eagles Don't Dare. The Fresh Prince of Gondor. ...

CapnZapp

Legend
Sounds much more reasonable than retelling 'The Hobbit' or 'The Lord of the Rings'. And if they write their own stories rather than try to adapt what remains of Tolkien's other 'novels', it might actually be good.
"The Lord of the Rings doesn’t contain any of the ingredients that turned Thrones into a global hit apart from the scale of its story. Thrones essentially took Tolkien’s work and added a smörgåsbord of provocative elements: copious nudity, stylized violence, and timely political intrigue."

So the question is:

Will these new stories contain any of what made GoT into a runaway success?

Should they?

Can they (do that to our memories)?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
GoT has a lot more that just nudity, violence, and politics (not that those didn't help). Most importantly it has charismatic acting, and good writing. Probably the two most important elements of any TV show. If the new LotR series has those two things, it doesn't need nudity, violence, and politics.

Maelish

Explorer
Well that's too bad. I would have preferred that Netflix had won the bidding war for that show.

Amazon might have a lot of prime users because they love the fast shipping but their streaming service is pretty bad. The interface is confusing and captions are terrible. It's as though they refused to use any common sense in the design.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
On the rare occasions that I've been tempted to play a Middle Earth game, I've zeroed in on the river valleys between Rohan and Arnor, between the mountains and the sea, as a good place for a setting.
I want to work in a new field, face 'typical LotR challenges' that are of manageable size, and not have uber-NPCs wandering around all the time.
One of the rivers has a bridge or ford marked on the big map; start there with the typical traders' village that springs up when travelers have to stop and change over their gear.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Most importantly it -GoT- has charismatic acting, and good writing. Probably the two most important elements of any TV show.
Based on friends' descriptions, most of the quality writing is wrapped up in one man, who has other projects ongoing. (So he can't help with LotR.)

Acting is a mystery to me, not predictable at all. It seems that the last person you'd expect turns into the star of the series.

Remove ads