• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vin Diesel

gfunk

First Post
Threedub said:
I know it was done for humor, but it is obvious Conan doesn't understand that the typical role-player is no longer 12, living at home, and dreaming about being able to go out in public.

Yeah, you're right. That image was *maybe* accurate back in the mid 80s. But now the typical role-player is 30. still living at home, and dreaming about being able to go out in public (except for GenCon and the occasional LARP).

BTW, for those of you who are interested, Vin Diesel's comments are on this website: http://www.dieselsounds.com/

Just click on the "Dungeons and Dragons" link

I missed the beginning of the interview, even the beginning of the part where they started talking about D&D. When I turned to NBC, Vin was talking about a tattoo he had in XXX that read "Melchor" (sp?) and that was the name of his drow witch-hunter.

I too was surprised that Conan, whom I assumed was somewhat of a total nerd, would make such jokes on D&D players, especially when the gamer who's sitting right next behind him could easily have crushed him into a bloody red-haired pulp.

Anyways, Diesel seemed totally at ease talking about it. Later in the interview, he also mentionned that he'd like to participate in a remake of guys and dolls.

Many facets to that guy.

TS

Threedub said:
And there was Conan putting down all the "lame" geeks out there who were watching and now thought they were "cool" by association to Mr. Diesel. Vin didn't say anything about Conan's antics, just half-smiled. I know it was done for humor, but it is obvious Conan doesn't understand that the typical role-player is no longer 12, living at home, and dreaming about being able to go out in public.

I would think that of all people a person named Conan would understand that.

Hey now. Comedians thrive on exaggeration the way an accountant thrives on his calculator. It's a tool of the trade. Besides, all the gamers I know watch and love Conan, and were probably thrilled to see him zing us. To me, getting zinged by Conan while hearing one of the biggest movie stars around talking about his D&D character all add up to "positive exposure" in my book. There's a big difference between a late-night clown like Conan taking playful potshots at the gamer stereotype, and some hell-bent mother of a drug-addicted, mentally unbalanced son who killed himself unleashing a crusade on a gamer stereotype that has NEVER existed.

Regarding Conan's insensitivity: Since you mentioned you don't watch his show much, I can tell you he spends half of an average show making fun of himself. He really rips on himself sometimes. So I have no problem when he makes fun of something I cherish, because I know he doesn't mean any harm by it.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Sorry, but I agree with the Tarrasque Wrangler: Conan O' Brien gets a pass at making fun of gaming/gamers. The guy is a self-admitted dork of the first order.

Hell, he wa a staff writer for The Simpsons at one point wasn't he?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Have to see if it airs on Comedy Central Monday evening (6 eastern) as they have the repeats. :)

I thought Conan was a gamer too?

edit: corrected time

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
That interview was awesome-

First off the guy stood up and panomimed (sp?) a half-orc wieldign an axe. Come on, how cool.

He admitted that one of his tattoos in xXx was the name of his Drow witch hunter.

He admitted that he played for 21 years. Now lets remember that the guy is like 30, so this means he quit when he had to because he was famous and didn't have time to game. He didn't play when he was a little geek, he still is a gamer.

He also said that he view D&D as the training grounds for imagination. Something that is immensly true. I know that growing up through middle school gaming I became much more willing to speak in front of others, was able to come up with stuff on the spot, and my vocabulary increased many times over.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:

Hell, [Conan] wa a staff writer for The Simpsons at one point wasn't he?
Yep. He also did a short stint as a writer for SNL. I don't mind his jokes about D&D as much as Jay Leno's. There is a saying: if a late-night talk show host mentioned it in his comedic monologue, it's very popular and very household. :cool:

I mean, D&D got a lot of exposures, especially that GE commercial, several episodes of Buffy (including the series finale), Angel, Freaks & Geeks, etc.

Ranger REG

Explorer
AeroDm said:

[Vin Diesel] also said that he view D&D as the training grounds for imagination. Something that is immensly true. I know that growing up through middle school gaming I became much more willing to speak in front of others, was able to come up with stuff on the spot, and my vocabulary increased many times over.
Heh. A very good statement that should be posted in the following discussion thread:

What ever happened to Role Playing?

Remove ads