Metahuman College-Issue one: College bound [IC]

Rybaer

First Post
A small chill runs up Cloud's spine. She leans closer to the little girl.

"Careful of what?" she asks.

(ooc - is there any chance Cloud is speaking to a spirit? She's starting to get even more suspicious.)

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Runble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
16:45, August 2, 2003

After not finding an elevator Jonn made his way back to the stairs and followed a student who was bounding up ahead of him.

Man, I must be nervous to not notice there was no elevator. Oh well, plenty of time. No need to worry.

Last edited:

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
16:25, August 2, 2003

“Sure,” the secretary says in response to James’ thanks. When he looks back, he would see that the security guard had approached the desk and was talking with the secretary. Both were looking in his direction; it was clear what the topic of conversation was. But there was no indication that any of the security guards were following him.

An elevator quickly arrives, and people pour out of it. However, only two other people get on the elevator with James; a black-haired woman in a stylish blue business dress, and a balding man, easily in his forties, in a pinstripe suit. Both gave him unusual looks, but they did not accost him as the elevator began to move upward.

James watched the security guard and receptionist conversing as he walked away, his all-around vision letting him keep an eye on them, the other security guards and where he was going, though he had to concentrate a little to pay attention to three seperate scenes at once. James moved to the back wall of the elevator and leant against it, watching the fellow occupants of the lift with careful eyes, his thoughts drifting. 'Damn, I feel underdressed..but hell, not like I even own a suit these days.' James glaced down at his comfortable t-shirt and trousers under a long trenchcoat, all topped off by some sturdy combat boots, and mentally shook his head. 'OK, next time..try to look a little less like a dangerous terrorist planning to hold the building hostage. It'll probably make things easier. Assuming there is a next time.'

With a small shake of his head, James banished his mental ramblings and refocused on the task at hand. 'Come on, come on. I hate the waiting in these things.' James leant back against the wall, folded his arms, and waited.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Maxwell Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
20:30, August 2, 2003

It was a clear night, the moon and stars providing plenty of light to see by. Maxwell had just finished his work not too long ago, and was making his way to his lodgings. He was quite tired, as the work had been hard. But tomorrow he would be getting the day off, as he had to go into Charleston to meet with the representative from Greenwood Academy, at 11 am.

Looking up, Maxwell would be able to catch sigh of a shooting star as it plummeted from the heavens. Then another. On such a clear night it was easy to see all of the shooting stars. One in particular, however, seemed to burn brighter than the others. It also seemed closer. As Maxwell watched, it fell from the sky, landing with a loud crash in a field about 200 yards away.

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

“You want to study to be a doctor? That is really great!” Ken said in reply. “All those years of studying, that takes a lot of dedication. I hope you are successful.”

He started to say something else, but was interrupted when an older gentleman entered the room. He appeared to be in his early forties, with short brown hair, and green eyes shielded by wire-rimmed glasses. As he entered the room, he offered Hoshiko and Ken a smile and a good afternoon, before laying his briefcase down upon the desk. “Thank you for coming this afternoon. My name is Christopher Bell, and I am one of the assistant deans of Greenwood Academy, and their… recruiter, if you will.” Though he spoke Japanese well, his accent was clearly British. “Before I get started, are there any questions?”

-Marcus Stevens
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Due in part to his athletic training, Marcus had no trouble bounding up the three flights of stairs to the fourth floor. On his way up, however, he would notice that there seemed to be quite a commotion on the third floor. Men and women in white lab coats worked at a hurried rate, and it appeared they were pulling a large metal guard down over a glass observation window. That was all he was able to learn through the brief glance that he had spared through the doorway, as he began making his way up the final flight of stairs to the fourth floor.

-Jonn Birkey
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Jonn’s pace is more relaxed than the other kid’s, and he took his time going up the stairs. As he passed the second floor, he could hear the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs behind him, as someone else began making their way up the steps from the first floor.

Jonn reached the third floor in time to see the heavy metal door that lead to the labs slam shut.

-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

The girl folded her hands on the table in front of her and regarded Cloud seriously for a long moment. “My daddy would be mad if I said too much. But there are many who are getting mad at you. They don’t want you to use your powers.”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

The atmosphere in the elevator is an uncomfortable one. The two others had completed their initial assessment of him, and were now trying to ignore him.

With a soft whirring noise, the elevator made its way upward at a fast pace. It stopped at the 12th floor, and the man in the pinstripe suit got out. It stopped at the 15th floor, and the woman got out. Luckily, no one else got on the elevator.

After what felt like an eternity, the elevator stops at the 17th floor. The polished metal doors open to reveal a long hallway, lined with offices. Sure enough, on the door of the second office on the left hung a nameplate which read: “Mr. Christopher Bell, Greenwood Academy”.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Dark Nemesis said:
The girl folded her hands on the table in front of her and regarded Cloud seriously for a long moment. “My daddy would be mad if I said too much. But there are many who are getting mad at you. They don’t want you to use your powers.”

Cloud maintains a blank expression while her mind whirls at what this girl is telling her. People are mad at me? For using my powers? What people and why are they mad? It almost sounds like it must be Menominee ancestral spirits. But I haven't done anything wrong.

"Well, I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your dad," she says politely to the girl. "But thank you for warning me.

"When I was a little girl, only just a bit bigger than you are now, my grandfather taught me the Dreamwalking. He also taught me the wisdom and lore of my ancestors and how to avoid using it for selfish reasons. If some are getting mad at me, I don't know why. Maybe I'll be able to come to an understanding with them one day."

Cloud gives the girl a warm smile. "I think you're very brave for coming here and telling me this. Thank you again...? What is your name? I don't think I asked you yet."

Calinon

First Post
"Your Japanese is very good," Hoshiko says cheerfully. "Um... I hate to bring this up, but... this academy is attended on scholorship, right? I mean, my family isn't independantly wealthy. I was expecting to have to work for a few years before attending college, so I was very excited when I received my invitation," she adds quickly.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Marcus Stevens (Proton) HPs: 5/5

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Marcus passed the man in dark clothes on the stairs. “Excuse me, sir,” Marcus said respectfully. When he got to the third floor, he almost stopped after seeing the metal plate slam down. ‘Nothing to see here,’ he thought . . . then stopped partway up the stairs to the fourth floor and turned around – pausing in the middle of the stairs.

‘What am I saying,’ Marcus thought. ‘Someone could be hurt or in danger . . . and if I’m upstairs on four and something happens on three . . . I had to think at least it wasn't in the labs, didn't I.’

He noticed the man walking up the stairs, then made his decision . . . heading back down the stairs.

“Everything alright in there?!” Marcus called out loudly to anyone he saw in the third floor hallway.

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

The atmosphere in the elevator is an uncomfortable one. The two others had completed their initial assessment of him, and were now trying to ignore him.

With a soft whirring noise, the elevator made its way upward at a fast pace. It stopped at the 12th floor, and the man in the pinstripe suit got out. It stopped at the 15th floor, and the woman got out. Luckily, no one else got on the elevator.

After what felt like an eternity, the elevator stops at the 17th floor. The polished metal doors open to reveal a long hallway, lined with offices. Sure enough, on the door of the second office on the left hung a nameplate which read: “Mr. Christopher Bell, Greenwood Academy”.

James stepped out of the elevator carefully, looking around suspiciously now there was no-one to look askance at his odd behaviour. 'Alright then. Time to see if this is on the level..' James quietly walked towards the office, making surprisingly little noise in his sturdy boots. He cracked his knuckles, took a deep breath, and then firmly rapped on the door, straining his ears to hear any activity in the office beyond. Now that he was here, adrenalin was rushing through his veins, his senses pushed to their limits to detect any possible danger in the vicinity. Having knocked, James took a step back from the door and waited for an acknowledgement from the mysterious 'Mr Bell.'

(If there's no reply or the door doesn't open within a few minutes, James will cautiously open the door and venture in. If he hears anything odd from the room, he'll be extra cautious.)

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

As Jonn reached the landing to the third floor labs he was slightly shocked as heavy metal doors slammed shut. That seemed rather abrupt. Wonder what that was all about. Shrugging it off, Jonn started for the final flight of stairs as the guy who had run past him was running back down. Jonn watched as he ran up to the door and started yelling inside. Jonn turned back to the metal doors.

"Is there some kind of problem?" He started looking around for anything else that looked wrong.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

The child listens carefully to Cloud’s words, before nodding slightly. Her face held a seriousness to it that betrayed her age. “I hope so. You seem nice.” When Cloud tells her that she is brave, she beams, though the expression disappears when Cloud asks her name. She pauses for a long moment, thinking. “My name? I don’t know. I don’t remember.”

She looked like she wanted to say more, but is interrupted when a middle-aged man enters the room. He is tall, with brown hair and green eyes that were framed by wire-rimmed glasses. “Good day,” he says in greeting, offering Cloud a warm smile. His accent was decidedly British.

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

Mr. Bell bowed his head slightly at Hoshiko’s words. “Thank you… Mai-san, is it? It took many years before I was able to master your beautiful language. Concerning tuition, most students are required to pay an annual tuition, though we do offer scholarships to students with… certain talents. This meeting is concerning those scholarships.”

As he spoke, he opened his briefcase a retrieved a few brochures. On the cover was a picture of what could only be described as a castle, surrounded by verdant forests. He handed a brochure to both Hoshiko and Ken. “I must apologize; I was remiss in not sending a brochure along with the invitation. I am sure you would like to see what the school actually looks like, before you even begin making any decisions.”

Ken held up his brochure, studying it with keen interest. “This place looks huge!”

Marcus Stevens and Jonn Birkey
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

“What’s going on?” another voice echoed Jonn, belonging to an African-American man who was ascending the steps just behind them. The guy was huge, over 7 feet tall and muscular as well. He easily filled the stairwell. He was dressed nicely, in a pair of black slacks and a white dress shirt, with a tie. He looked curiously at the closed metal door, before looking back at Jonn and Marcus.

At first, no one replied to Marcus’ shouting. The long silence that followed ended with the metal door opening once more, and a short red-headed woman stepped out. She hastily shut the door once more behind her, before leaning against it, taking a deep breath. “Whew!” Then, she noticed the three guys on the landing with her. “Uh… hey.”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

As James listened, he briefly heard an unusual creaking sound coming from within the office. It stopped, and a moment later the door opened to reveal a tall, middle-aged man. He was dressed in a sweater and slacks, his brown hair combed into a neat style. He offered James a smile, his green eyes sparkling from behind his wire-rimmed glasses. “Ah, Mr. Dunbar is it? Please, come in.” He stepped to one side allowing James entry. Looking into the office, James would see that it looked rather ordinary. The walls were lined with oak bookshelves, filled with books. The far wall was composed almost entirely of a window, which looked out onto the street below. Just before it was an oak desk, with a computer that hummed quietly. There were two chairs positioned before the desk, for visitors.

Last edited:

Remove ads