• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E D&D - Are you playing already (or ever)?

Are you already playing a 4E campaign?

• I own 4E books and we have started a campaign

Votes: 168 52.5%
  • I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions.

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • I own 4E books and read them, but didn't have the opportunity yet to play a game.

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after playing one or more sessions.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • I own 4E books, but decided not to play after reading them.

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • I don't have the 4E books, but we have started a campaign or played a one-shot/test session.

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but I am planning to do so.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, do not plan to buy them, but I will play.

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • I don't have any 4E books, but played and decided not to buy or play anymore.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I don't have any 4E books, and I do not plan to buy them or play the game.

Votes: 40 12.5%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after reading it.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after playing it for a while.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd really like to have the books and play, but I totally lack time/money/group/etc.

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • I don't want the books nor play, but I lack time/money/group/etc. anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
So, I am wondering - how many people are actually running 4E campaigns? Or are people still in the wrap-up phase of other games? Are they still testing out the system before committing to a campaign? Or are they not even considering running a campaign?

So, outside of the scope of the poll, feel free to talk about what kind of games you are running - are you using the published adventures? Use a homebrew system? Created a new campaign? What are your plans to the future?

So, the possible answers are (provided I can enter them all into the poll and EN World doesn't explode or anything).

You own the books? Do you play?
I own 4E books and we have started a campaign.
I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions.
I own 4E books and read them, but didn't have the opportunity (time, group, DM etc.) yet to play a game.
I own 4E books, but decided not to play after playing one or more sessions.
I own 4E books, but decided not to play after reading them.

If I write "a campaign", I also include "multiple campaigns". Start can also include conversions of running campaigns. (Both would apply in my case.)

You don't own the books? Do you play, or would you like to?
I don't have the 4E books, but we have started a campaign or played a one-shot/test session.
I don't have any 4E books, but I am planning to do so.
I don't have any 4E books, do not plan to buy them, but I will play.
I don't have any 4E books, and I do not plan to buy them or play the game.
I don't have any 4E books, but played and decided not to buy or play anymore.

I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after reading it.
I had the 4E books, but I got rid of them after playing it for a while.
I'd really like to have the books and play, but I totally can't afford it (no time, no money, etc.)
I don't want the books nor play, but I couldn't afford it anyway (no time, no money, etc.)

I won't give an other option here. If you really don't fit _any_ of the descriptions, elaborate. I tried to have all sensible combinations of questions in the poll.

There will be a poll up, but the board will probably have the thread up before that.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Own the books and most of the things that have come out for 4e.

I was all ready to start a 4e game but came up with a great idea for the final 3e campaign. So, we are doing that right now. And I like holding off on 4e for a few more books and options and it allows me to learn the game that much more.

I choose "I own 4E books, but have only played a one-shot or a few test sessions" because I have played it as a one shot and that was horrible!! It had nothing to do with the game, but no one knew the rules and the adventure was not all that good.

Last edited:

Edgewood

First Post
I do not own the books and I don't intend to buy them or play 4E. I'm happy with 3.5 and will probably try out Pathfinder. I just don't have the disposable income that I used to have, and I really don't want to have to start over again with a new version. I don't have any opinion on 4E because I have never read the books, so my reasons for not playing really are money and laziness on my part. I'm sure it's a great game and is probably fun to play but so is 3.5.

Greg K

Legend
I didn't vote.
I don't own the books. I followed the design journals and the previews and was disatisfied with a lot of the mechanical changes and some of the fundamental philosophy and inspriations of the design team- the thought of all which led me to walk out of a demo to free a spot in case someone else showed up to play.

After a few weeks, I went to a bookstore and sat down with the PHB and DMG for about an a hour and half to two hours. When I left, the only things that I felt the designers had succeeded in doing right (for my preferences) were:
- removing the non-biological aspects of race and making them feats
- iirc, you can't just multiclass and get all of the new class's armor and weapons proficiencies to circumvent using feats ( I know multiclassing requires feats to gain abilities. I just don't recall with certainty how it applies to gaining armor and weapon proficiencies in 4e).
- unified save progression
- passive perception
- no more XP costs for casting certain spells.
- no level drain
- toning down the spellcasters, but I don't like the mechanics
- pruning the Christmas tree, but I don't like the mechanics associated with daily magic items.

My conclusion was that I might try it after the third party companies get a hold of it and play with it just as was the case with 3e. Currently, however, there is nothing about 4e that makes me want to leave 3e. Third party support for 3e along with UA and a few house rules allows me to tailor 3e to be almost exactly what I wanted from a 4e- although I still want 4e's removal of the non-biological aspects of race (e.g., elven weapon bonuses and dwarven bonuses vs. giants) and its making them into feats.

Last edited:

I own all of the books out to date, I played in 1 campaing that ended in epic (with a tpk) and that group justt started again at level 1, and I play in a group that is at 15th level, but I am running a 3.5 game that started months before 4e...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I chose "I own 4E books and read them, but didn't have the opportunity yet to play a game." because, while I purchased the PHB and was invited to play in a game, the fact that I was unemployed (and thus tight on funds) made it impossible for me to drive the 20 miles roundtrip to get to the game (I already make this drive once per week for Dark Heresy).

Remove ads