[4e] Fallen OOC (Full)

Sparky

Regarding the Crucible writing prompts:

This is strictly a freeform writing exercise to present your PCs in different situations. No rolls needed.

Chime in with how long you've been at the Arena. I know the 'Levels' section of your sheets are a rough indication, but levels don't really map well to time.

I'm looking for weeks/months/years.

Insight

Adventurer

This is strictly a freeform writing exercise to present your PCs in different situations. No rolls needed.

Chime in with how long you've been at the Arena. I know the 'Levels' section of your sheets are a rough indication, but levels don't really map well to time.

LOL I already posted 2 rounds worth of rolls. I'll get rid of that mess. Lucky for Q'ynn because he sucks in one-on-one fights and was about to get his head handed to him.

Sparky

Works for me. Whatever's easiest with you.

Gosh - the site is running terribly right now... I just lost one of my posts for my game.... waste of 20 minutes :(

Ugh, I know, right? I nearly lost the whole 'history class' intro to the IC thread last night. Teach me to compose my posts on the forums instead of in word or text editors.

eblue562

First Post
Two Reasons for no sblocks:
1. Text hidden in sblocks is unsearchable. That means that I can't use ctrl-f to find things on a page (and though I can use the forum search, that search is rough at best). So to find something that's in a statblock I have to dig more than if that something weren't hidden.

Wow, I didn't know that they were unsearchable. In my current game I DM, I make it a point to go over each individual post before I do a status update, just to make sure I didn't forgot something. But I can see non-searching being a huge PITA later on.

2. I don't need them. I keep all that mini statblock information in a spreadsheet for my reference.

It occurs to me that you guys might want the miniblocks as an easy point of reference to keep tabs on your own and others' HP, power uses, etc.
I believe you're right, most people just want it for their own purposes, while DM's don't find it particularly helpful. Does this mean it is ok for us to do it?

I've used Google Group spreadsheets as maps in games past. Not great to look at but effective. I also used a more conventional spreadsheet to track stats. I didn't expose it to the players because it had NPC info on it, but I could easily strip that info out and publish it for player use.
I just use excel and screenshot the maps for updates. Seems to work ok but is a little clunky. Hopefully any descriptions I use will make things come more "alive" than "there's an x at block D11"

You're game, you're rules. So far I am A-OK with everything you've posted here. I trust that you have a system that works for your use and makes it easy on the players. I do have one question from previous post though:

Edit - Thanks for answering my question. Hot thread atm. Rodeh has probably been in the arena for a few years now, although he's not entirely sure. The days of endless killing kinda blend, after all.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer

I'd say about three to six months for Atrius at the current status. But he started training say ten years ago, and has been competing in the arena (at the athlete tier) for, say, six years.

Walking Dad

First Post
I posted with the assumption that as we didn't neccesarily come to the arena at the same times, our first fight wouldn't involve other PCs, but other than that we were free to make up any arena combat we wanted.
I had the same assumption. I also thought it should be first time ever in the arena, not first in a row.

@Everyone: In response to Walking Dad's request - I don't want any sblocks hiding OOC information. I do like that sblocks hide OOC clutter from the IC flow. The color and size of the OOC text is my compromise to making OOC less intrusive.

Two Reasons for no sblocks:
1. Text hidden in sblocks is unsearchable. That means that I can't use ctrl-f to find things on a page (and though I can use the forum search, that search is rough at best). So to find something that's in a statblock I have to dig more than if that something weren't hidden.

2. I don't need them. I keep all that mini statblock information in a spreadsheet for my reference.

It occurs to me that you guys might want the miniblocks as an easy point of reference to keep tabs on your own and others' HP, power uses, etc.

I've used Google Group spreadsheets as maps in games past. Not great to look at but effective. I also used a more conventional spreadsheet to track stats. I didn't expose it to the players because it had NPC info on it, but I could easily strip that info out and publish it for player use.

Work?
Can I still use mini block for my personal reference and post the 'official' OOC stuff as described by you?

LOL I already posted 2 rounds worth of rolls. I'll get rid of that mess. Lucky for Q'ynn because he sucks in one-on-one fights and was about to get his head handed to him.
Do we need to win?

Walking Dad

First Post

How often are the fights? You can actually do the math for XP ;)

Sparky

The frequency of fights is variable. And the challenges not always level appropriate in both directions.

---

We've got 2/3 of the responses in - looking good, folks. Keep 'em coming, I want to see what Pirx, Run and the Scholar have in store for us!

Sparky

@Walking Dad: Correct, the response should be about the first Arena fight. Since we don't have a formal timeline, include other PCs only obliquely.

Use the mini-statblock if you want it, but don't hide any OOC actions in blocks.

The only real requirement of the post is that you 'not die.'

Remove ads