A Merc's Life [OOC 02]

Leif

Adventurer
Is recruitment still open, Mowgs? No telling how many you'll get before it's all over. Your separate threads method keeps anyone from becoming discouraged by the number of applications, which was, I guess, your plan all along. Pretty smart. Kudos to you! On the other hand, you may have to cut recruitment off shortly to maintain your tenuous grip on sanity.

Leif

Adventurer
DeWar, I have dubbed the giant wars our characters were involved with the Angry Giant Wars, if that's acceptable to you. If you have something better, I'll happily change over to your name for it.

Not sure what you're thinking -- did our characters serve together in the wars? Was your fighter a soldier under my character's command? Or was my character a junior officer under your character's command? Did we originate in the same town or whatever? Have we gone from the wars straight to Moyra's Mavens, or was there some 'downtime' in there between the two? I figure my dude stayed in the army for some downtime (if there was any), until he got fed-up and headed to the Mavens.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
DeWar, FYI: My character, "Sword Lieutenant Marquan Vissel, became known as something of a butcher in the Angry Giant Wars when he refused to allow his soldiers to retreat in the face of a clearly superior force of Stone Giants led by a Fire Giant. His unit was on the extreme right flank, and he knew that if his force was routed, the Giants would turn the flank of the army and so ensure their victory that day. His action resulted in very high casualties among his force, but the line held and the humans carried the day. Still, to some in under his command, Lieutenant Marquan Vissel gained the title of "The Butcher" that day. Marquan is understanably sensitive about this, and hates to be called The Butcher. He refused the award of a medal for his action that day."

[MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION], I'd like for you to please add this [in quotes above] to the Myth-Weavers post for Marquan, preferably nested in another spoiler ["The Butcher"] at the end of his Background information? Pretty please?

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I was thinking My character, Jaque . . . Aw heck, here's what I have:

In his home was a variety of things: farm implements, mountain climbing equipment, hunting equipment. These were all tucked away in a mountain cavern where their home was built at the entrance. The ranch raised sheep and cattle, that is the main stay of the family. However Jaque and his father were hunters, hunting food creatures and hazards alike.

There was an incursion of ogres in the highlands that were being watched by his father and he. They were also being monitored by the mercenary company as well. it was during an attack of these strangely unified creatures that the parents were killed, regretfully.

The boss had just liberated a patrol of their unjust gains while the ogres were attacking a farmstead owned by a local hunter. he had fought valiantly to protect his wife and 10 year old son, but the boss's scrimish line could not break through and save the parents. His last dying words were to raise his son to fight for her, His only available payment for trying to save the family. What the ogres had not destroyed she payed in Jaque's training and equipment. The boy became a young man and continues to fight for the mercenaries.

. . . . .Basically, he was young, 7 years in the past. I am not sure He would have been in a unit such as "Butcher's boys"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Forty one completed apps, another 20 to 25 that have been started and may or may not be completed by Thursday. I'm still getting a few new ones trickling in daily. I'm obligated by forum etiquette to leave the applications open until my originally stated date - others have closed recruitment early, but that seems like bad form to me and I think I read in the forum rules that it's frowned upon. There are a lot of really good ones too - gonna be hard as heck to choose.

Yeah, keeping the applications private served a few different purposes. The major two were keeping folks from getting discouraged by looking at the ad and seeing a bazillion applications, and getting folks to apply with what they want to play, rather than trying to play the numbers game and just apply with a class that there weren't too many of already.

The pre-game IC threads should give me a good idea of who can follow posting etiquette and my format-Nazism, and which characters will drive me crazy if I have to read them every day. Should also give me an idea about who can post a conversation that allows others to play as well by putting in conversation hooks, etc.

I still need a couple of things from Leif and DeWar -

First, SDeWar - what the heck is your character's name?

Second, I'll need both of you to click on the "Sheets" tab at the top of any MW forum page you visit and fill out a character sheet. Once you get them filled in, go down toward the bottom to the "Stat Block" section. If you hover over the black border you'll see it turn to "Generate Statblock." Click it, and your characters stat block will be inserted there. Copy that in it's entirety, and post it into the "Stat Block" spoiler in your application. There'll be a link in that stat block back to your sheet.

I did go ahead and mark your applications done and assigned you to pre-game IC threads so you can go ahead and start some interaction.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Planning to get my character sheet filled soon. I was going to do it just now, but I got distracted by posting again, trying to prevent more bloodshed in The Quiet Woman.

Scott DeWar

almost done with my block of math in Kahn Acadamy

By the way, my character's first name is Jacques. Never came up with a last name yet. He might choose the name of someone with in the unit who was a father figure to him.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

interesting question on this math thing I am doing: a dollar bill is .0001 meters thick. the national debt is 16 trillion dollars. how high would a stack of dollar bills be. answer in scientific notation
(.0001) = 1 * 10^-4; 1 trillion is 1 * 10^12 so,
(1*10^4 ) (1.6*10^13) = a stack of bills 1.6 * 10^9 meters tall. That is our national debt.
1.6*10^9 meters = 1.6 * 10^6 Km; 1 Km = .62 miles or 6.2 * 10^-1, so
1.6 * 10^6 / 6.2 * 10^-1 = .258 * 10^7 miles or 2.58 * 10^6 or

2,580,645 miles tall stack of $1.00 bills

if I did it right

Leif

Adventurer
almost done with my block of math in Kahn Acadamy

By the way, my character's first name is Jacques. Never came up with a last name yet. He might choose the name of someone with in the unit who was a father figure to him.
Or you could give a nod to masonic tradition by naming him Jacques DeMolay! You might find a horse's head in your bed if you do so, though....

Remove ads