• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dungeons and Them (DM:johnmeier1, judge:????)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante's kama-chain flickers faster than the eye can follow, bouncing off each of the hardest parts of the dragon then finally finding one weak spot.

"Don't go for those 6 places," Dante says, checking his kama to see if they are bent or something.

OOC: Gr... invisible castle is down. Me no likey this dice roller much. 2(d20), 2(d20), 2(d20), 20(d20), 1(d6), 1(d6), 9(d20), 3(d20). Average d20 roll: 6.

@Luinnar, The only class I know of that could be able to up your crit range at this level is a bow-bard. Since we don't have one of those, you're probably out of luck.

[sblock=Actions]Free(when hit by Dragon): Counterstrike Armor: Dragon takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends).
Minor: Hunter's Quarry the Dragon.
Standard: Jaws of the Wolf:
*Attack 1: 1d20+15+2(CA)=19 AC vs Dragon, miss, 4d4+11+2(Max)+1(CA)=25/2=12 damage.
*Attack 2: 1d20+15+2(CA)=19 AC vs Dragon, miss, 4d4+11+2(Max)+1(CA)=26/2=13 damage.
Move->Minor: Off-Hand Strike: 1d20+15+2(CA)=19 AC vs Dragon, miss.
AP Granted MBA: MBA: 1d20+15+2(CA)=CRIT vs Dragon, 2d6+22+6(Quarry)=30.
AP: Standard: Twin Strike
*Attack 1: 1d20+15+2(CA)=26 AC vs Dragon, miss.
*Attack 2: 1d20+15+2(CA)=20 AC vs Dragon, miss.

Status Effects: +2 damage vs Dragon, CA vs Dragon

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 8
Passive Perception:22(24), Passive Insight:17
AC:23, Fort:23, Reflex:22, Will:20 -- Speed:6
HP:36/57, Bloodied:28, Surge Value:15, Surges left:1/6
Initiative +7, Action Points:0
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Boots of the Fencing Master, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Healing Lore, Amulet of Resolution, Vanous' Combined Awareness

MBA: +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)

[sblock=Notes]*Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante.
*Dante deals +1 damage when he has CA.
*Dante deals +2 damage to bloodied enemies.
*Dante gains +1 AC/Ref whenever he shifts.
*Dante can draw his spiked chain as part of an attack made with it.
*The first enemy to hit Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends).
*Dante does +1 damage on his first attack of an encounter.[/sblock]

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 8
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:48/78, Bloodied:39, Surge Value:18(23), Surges left:1/2
MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.

Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
OOC: Iron Sky you should see my crappy rolls with my striker. Also I think you got the order wrong. Dante only gets the MBA if he hits with the AP attack. I will let you keep the crit though.

Luinnar

First Post
I AM NOT LIKE YOU! Draglin shouts. I'LL NEVER BE LIKE YOU! I AM BRAVE AND JUST AND HONORABLE! AND THOU ARE A SCALY FIEND WHO DESERVES TO FACE MY WRAITH! he shouts his eyes glowing a deep blue. His swords flash in the torchlight as he prepares himself for what could be his final act.

His blades flash in a flurry of attacks aimed at the dragon. A thousand cuts, a thousand slashes, and thousands blows land on the dragon. Each one delivering more pain than the last. In seconds he lacerates the dragon's entire body with dozens of cuts, each one striking a vital area.

COME GET SOME MORE!
the fighter shouts. I AM READY TO DIE FOR MY HONOR!
[sblock=actions]
Minor:Battle Fury Stance: +2 power bonus to damage -2 to AC.

Action Point
Free: MBA CRIT! 26+6=32 damage. Dragon is marked EONT.

Standard: Rain of Blows:
Rolls:
33 vs AC 20 damage
37 vs AC 19 damage
33 vs AC 20 damage

Standard: Tempest Dance
27 vs AC 30 damage
23 vs AC miss
31 vs AC 29 damage

Minor: Rain of Steel Stance
Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to Draglin takes 1d6+4 damage as long as Draglin can make OAs. Battle fury stance ends (Draglin gets back his AC)
Damage roll 10 damage.
[/sblock]

OOC: If the dragon gets a breath interrupt attack or something please let me know, I get +2 damage when bloodied ;)

In summary: Draglin does 150 damage to the dragon in total when its turn starts! :lol:

(Draglin got +2 damage from Bravo, +2 from Max (it is untyped bonus) ,+2 from Battle Fury stance, +1 from CA (light blade expertise).

[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 7
Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 13
AC 24, Fort 21, Reflex 20, Will 14
HP 38/64 Bloodied 32 Surge Value 17, Surges 2/10
Speed 6, Initiative +7
Action Points: 0

Basic Attack Short Sword; +15, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:Rain of Steel Stance
Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to Draglin takes 1d6+4 damage as long as Draglin can make OAs.
[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
OOC: I'm not sure I even understand what just happened, other than Tempest Dance was probably designed for multiple targets to prevent this (I am sorry I gave you the go ahead on that) Anyway, the dragon is likely bloodied at some point. It may take me a while to do the math, but here goes the Breath Weapon

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: I'm not sure I even understand what just happened, other than Tempest Dance was probably designed for multiple targets to prevent this (I am sorry I gave you the go ahead on that) Anyway, the dragon is likely bloodied at some point. It may take me a while to do the math, but here goes the Breath Weapon
OOC: If you would like me to change the action so I don't use Tempest Dance I don't mind :)

Erm, actually I did 160 damage. Here is the attack breakdown:

Minor: Battle Fury Stance (+2 power bonus to damage, -2 to AC).

Free: Action point grants a MBA as a free action (from Max) MBA is 1d6+13+2(bravo)+2(Max's power)+2(Battle Fury Stance)+1(light blade expertise with CA)= 1d6+20. It crit so it did+2d6 and I rolled two 3s so it did 20+6+6=32.

Standard: Rain of Blows is three attacks (1d6+8+2(bravo)+2(Max's power)+2(Battle Fury Stance)+1(light blade expertise with CA)= 1d6+15 per attack. All three hit so 59 damage total.

Standard:Tempest Dance is three attacks (1d6+17 with CA +2(bravo)+2(Max's power)+2(Battle Fury Stance)+1(light blade expertise with CA)= 1d6+24 per attack. Two attacks hit so it did 59 damage total.

Minor: Entered Rain of Steel stance, overrides Battle Fury Stance. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to Draglin takes 1d6+4 damage as long as Draglin can make OAs. So the dragon took 10 damage at the start of its turn.

32+59+59+10=160. If he was bloodied by the dragon breath, every attack after he was bloodied (including rain of steel damage roll) gets +2 damage, which I did not include.

johnmeier1

Explorer
After a pummeling the dragon roars in defiance. The blood runs from numerous cuts about its neck, face and the arm that grasps Draglin. It opens its mouth in a defensive measure, incinerating the toad and burning all others nearby except for Max.

[sblock=mini-update]This is a short status update (Max didn't need walk it off since Claw does not do ongoing damage, only Bite) dragon was 319/428 after Max. I'll say Dante critical on twin strike during AP which gave him the free MBA so he did only 5 less damage (50 total! with those misses even) puts dragon at 269/428. Draglin bloodies the dragon after Rain of blows so it is at 115/428 hp so (note Breath Weapon left Draglin at 1hp, if I had rolled 1 higher...) nerdytenor: Community says on Inevitable Shot, needs to be different target.

Vlassick (young red dragon, advanced) 115/428 hp AP:2
AC 27 Fort 25 Ref 22 Will 22 Resist 15 fire
MBA Melee 2 +16 vs AC for 2d10+8 and grabbed (escape DC 23) takes ongoing 5 fire
Claw Melee 2 +16 vs AC (two attacks) and grabbed (escape DC 20)
Trigger (enemy leaves a square within 2 of the dragon) Melee 3 +14 vs Ref for 1d6+7 and knocked prone
Status: Marked by Draglin, grabbing Draglin (Escape DC 20), breath weapon used, bloodied, prone

Devinihm 14/51 AP: 1 bloodied HS:4/11
Jonathan 45/45 AP: 1 HS:3/8
Auntie Mab 53/56 AP: 1 Invisible to Vlassick HS:5/8
Draglin 1/64 AP: 0 grabbed (Escape DC 20), Rain of Steel Stance HS:2/10
Dante 18/57 AP: 0 Hunter's Quarry on dragon HS:1/6
Virgil 11/78 HS:1/2
Max 39/62 AP: 0 Allies have +2 damage TENT HS:2/8
[/sblock]

OOC: Just waiting on pacdidj

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: I'm curious why the critical was move to a Twin Strike instead of the granted MBA? Before, I thought you said to do the granted attack first, which is what I did and that was the one that got the critical.

It's your game, I was just wondering as to the reasoning for moving the critical to a different attack.

johnmeier1

Explorer
OOC: The next successful attack will put max in a bloodied stat. This will trigger Max's sword power which grants a free attack to an ally 5 squares away. Max chooses Dante

[sblock=Spending an AP in the Presence of Max: Please Read]
Bravura Presence
When an ally Max sees spends an action point to take another action to use it as an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll.
If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, then the ally can choose to do the following after the AP action:
* make a basic attack +1 to hit (due to feat: improved bravura)
or
* make a move action as a free action +1 added to ally's speed for movement
(due to feat: improved bravura)
If the AP attack misses, the ally grants CA to all enemies TENT.
Clearly worth the risk :)
[/sblock]

OOC: I don't remember contradicting this order:
1. Spend AP
2. Choose to use Bravura Prescence
3. Roll AP attack
4. If Hit then gain MBA
5. If Miss grant CA

Last edited:

Remove ads