[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: Holiday schedule already in my 'ststus', but I will repeat here:

will be on vacation from 12/22 - 1/4, slow posting (if any) during that time

evilbob

Explorer
Mervin holds up his hand to stop the group. "This door is magically protected with a ward. It seems like a good thief could pick the lock, but otherwise I'm not yet sure how to bypass it."

[sblock=ooc]Yeah, don't just open it (yet). :) It's a DC 20 thievery, and we get a +2... Does anyone have higher than a +3 to thievery (my skill level)? We may want to have one person try and another assist (if possible), and everyone else just stand back in case it's bad. I still think this will be better than completely backtracking at this point, however. No other methods seem available. HMG, should I roll an arcane check to see if I can figure out any other way to bypass?

(And before anyone asks, no, I don't have any kind of "knock" spell, sadly.)

Holiday: yeah, it will be VERY slow posting for me after today as well, although I will be around. Back again to full speed in January.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Gensai grabs the torch and moves back toward the way, illuminating the glyph carved above the door.

"Magic indeed."

[sblock=rolls]
Arcana on Glyph: 1d20+13=33 Nat 20

2 in a row!
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Tenchuu]Per your Arcana check, see Mervin's spoiler in the description above. Not much different, but you too get a +2 to a Thievery check against the glyph.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]So it seems like Tenchuu and I should be "helpers" at least. What's everyone's thievery? I know we have some people missing...[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: EB/Tenchuu: I looked over everyone's CSs and it appears that Mervin and Gensai actually have the best Thievery bonuses (+5 each, when you include the result of your Arcana checks).

Recommendation: The PCs with lower bonuses can use Aid Another at a (Thievery DC 13)

[sblock=Aid Another Rules]AID AN ALLY’S SKILL OR ABILITY CHECK

• Action: Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target adjacent to it.
  • DC: The creature makes a skill check or an ability check with a DC equal to 10 + one-half the creature’s level.
  • Success: The target gains a +2 bonus to the next check using the same skill or ability before the end of the assisting creature’s next turn.
  • Failure: The target takes a -1 penalty to the next check using the same skill or ability before the end of the assisting creature’s next turn. This penalty represents the distraction or interference caused by the failed assistance.

A creature can affect a particular check only once using the aid another action. However, up to four creatures can use aid another to affect a single check, for a maximum bonus of +8 or a maximum penalty of -4.
In certain circumstances, the DM might decide that only one, two, or three creatures can try to aid a check. For example, it is unlikely that four creatures can assist in picking a lock.
Aid Attack

A creature can aid an ally’s attack against an enemy. This action represents a feint, a distraction, or some other action that makes it easier for the ally to hit the enemy.
[/sblock].

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

Riardon tries to help at his best ability.

[sblock=OOC]

Arcana roll for bonus.

Thievery: 1d20 + 3 = 17 (+2 for arcana check? He doesn't hold his shield while doing the check)
Arcana: 1d20 + 13 = 30

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 19 Insight: 14 Low-light Vision
AC 22 Fortitude 19 Reflex 19 Will 17
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=WD]Below is a copy of the spoiler that I gave to Tenchuu and EB: [sblock=Arcana success]A magical presence seizes you. It seems to be coming from above the door. At first, you just stare, thinking that the dim light must be playing tricks on your eyes, but after a few moments of inspection it is unmistakable. There is magical glyph carved above the door:
GlyphofWarding.png

The meaning is clear. Passage is dangerous.

GM: This is a glyph of warding.
Countermeasure: Thievery DC 20 (you get a +2 bonus. Not much, but every little bit helps).

Unfortunately, there seems to be no magical countermeasure to the glyph.
[/sblock] I surmise that you used this +2 Thievery bonus on your check. Please let me know if this is an attempt to disarm the glyph or Aid Another.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
ooc: Disarm check. Doesn't include the arcana check bonus. Riardon has thievery +3 when his shield is on his back and not in his hand. So we have now 3 characters with a +5 bonus at least.

Remove ads