• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The Burning Tower (Knight Otu Judging) [Concluded]

SlagMortar

First Post
Fool, fool, fool, Nars mutters to himself. Professor Underhill at the Academy always extolled patience. 1. Analyze the problem from all angles. 2. Design a solution. 3. Implement the solution. I got so caught up in the emergency that failed to see it was no longer an emergency. I won't be so hasty again. Nars remains silent preferring to let the more diplomatic individuals speak with the strange automation.

OOC: Are there any doors or windows in the room?

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
The south wall of the room is about 1/4 of a circle, and contains the door from which the party entered the tower. There are internal doors in the northeast and northwest walls.

IcyCool

First Post
Gorefoot - Gnome Barbarian 1

Gorefoot stares at the puppet for a moment, and then says, "We're not customers, we came to put out the fire."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Fant greats each of the new arrivals as they come, introducing herself as well. Her tone of voice and manner give the distinct impression that she seems to be the one in charge around here. She is paticularly glad as to the arrival of the locksmith.

"Welcome, all. I am afraid the Wizard Rilithorne is unavailable at this time. In fact, I must sadly inform you that containment measures are in effect. Please do not proceed further into the tower without authorization. May I assume you are present in the capacity of customers?"
Gorefoot stares at the puppet for a moment, and then says, "We're not customers, we came to put out the fire."

"It is as the Gnome said," says Fant, slightly annoyed at the undisciplined rush into the tower but too stoic to show any emotion whatsoever. "There appears to be some magical disturbance. Which way is the fastest to the top of the tower?" Fant does not expect to get far with the strage creature- she thinks it likely that it is not fully sentient and thus unable to deal with strange circumstances. She also doubts that the wizard would install any truly lethal deterrents to those who might wander around- but best to be careful.

If the puppet proves to be the mindless servitor she expects, Fant turns to Nars. "Locksmith Blackbeard, I would be grateful if you would open that door." She points to the northeastern door. "Be wary of any wizardly safeguards."

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
Nars will give the servitor a chance to respond to Lady Fant's questions until it becomes clear that it is no longer useful. Then he will proceed to the door and examine it cautiously until he is certain there are no traps and finally opening the door, picking the lock if necessary. If there are traps, he will attempt to disable them before opening the door. If anyone prods him while he is examining the door for traps he says, "I rushed into, ah, one thing today, and I'm not, er, gonna make it twice."

OOC: Take 20 (+6) on search for traps. Open Lock +7, Disable Device +7

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita said:
Shooing the small white owl off her shoulder and onto her wrist, she brings her face close to him. She tries to comunicate that fire would be worrisome and then flings him into the air. The owl will not go into the smoke, but hopefully will try to see if any flames are visible from above.

OOC: Looks like I'm the slow one here. Persephone would like to join here, but would have waited for Fridly to return with a report before entering the tower. Assuming he had nothing constructive to report, she would be in there with the rest. If so, she raises an eyebrow at the doors and comotion, and examines the paintings.

Zweischneid

First Post
Morulas too comes to a halt at the Wizards portrait after circeling the little waiting room - already the elf feels like a rabbit in a snare, breathing deeply now and than to fight back the rising dread of captivity.

"You must be Rilithorne I assume" he addresses the picture, trying to loosen his shoulders.

"A glorious mess you left for us this night. I hope that was all the mayhem we are going to see from you" he adds scanning the painting with his blue-and-silver eyes*, trying to get a feel for the person who build this tower and trapped Morulas there, aswell as the others.

If nothing unusual is found with the painting, Morulas walks over to the highborn lady and the dwarfen locksmith, accepting their greetings and kind words, introducing himself in turn.

Though he certainly wont rush Nars, he keeps looking over his shoulder towards the shimmering barrier like it might actually disappear again all by itself.

---------
* OOC: Searching (+6) the picture for anything unusual.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
OOC: Looks like I'm the slow one here. Persephone would like to join here, but would have waited for Fridly to return with a report before entering the tower. Assuming he had nothing constructive to report, she would be in there with the rest. If so, she raises an eyebrow at the doors and comotion, and examines the paintings.

Oops! Sorry I neglected to respond to that one. Fridly reports that towards the top of the tower, the smoke is extremely thick and difficult to see through. Bright flashes of light can be seen from within, but Fridly can't tell if the light is from fire or merely some sort of sparks.

Manzanita

First Post
Persephone

Persephone frowns. "Stuck, are we? I suspect this was no fire, but a trap of some sort. Buy why would he try to capture us if he doesn't even know us? Well, if he wants our help, he'll find this isn't the best way to do it. And if he wants to harm us, then... Durn. I guess I lost my big half-orc body guard back at the inn..."

She flops down on the comfortable couch, and addresses the puppet: "Hey, do you have anything else to say?"

Patlin

Explorer
Dire Warnings

Thomas Hobbes (Fant) said:
"It is as the Gnome said," says Fant, slightly annoyed at the undisciplined rush into the tower but too stoic to show any emotion whatsoever. "There appears to be some magical disturbance. Which way is the fastest to the top of the tower?" Fant does not expect to get far with the strage creature- she thinks it likely that it is not fully sentient and thus unable to deal with strange circumstances. She also doubts that the wizard would install any truly lethal deterrents to those who might wander around- but best to be careful.

The construct does in fact respond. While limited in its scope, it appears competent enough for basic conversation.

"Yes, there is indeed a magical disturbance. Unfortunately, an accident has occurred in the lab. In order to prevent the accident from endangering the city, a series of one way shields have been automatically activated extending outward from the lab. The master should return shortly, and will surely resolve the matter at that time. Until then, please make yourself comfortable in this waiting room. I am afraid that it would be dangerous to proceed further, as the master is not in residence. The creator of this tower put in place a variety of potent anti-theft devices which activate whenever the master is not in residence, and those defences could do you serious injury."

Remove ads