Adventurers League Adventures Now Available To All

More details: http://dndadventurersleague.org/changes-to-the-dd-adventurers-league/ Today, Wizards of the Coast announced some changes to the D&D Adventurers League program. You can read the entire announcement on the Wizards website. Here's a summary of the changes as well as some additional information about some of the repercussions. Starting with season 4 all D&D Adventurers League...

More details:

http://dndadventurersleague.org/changes-to-the-dd-adventurers-league/

Today, Wizards of the Coast announced some changes to the D&D Adventurers League program. You can read the entire announcement on the Wizards website.

Here's a summary of the changes as well as some additional information about some of the repercussions.

• Starting with season 4 all D&D Adventurers League adventures will be distributed for purchase through the DMs Guild website and will be available to everyone to play in the official D&D Adventurers League campaign.
  • The hosting of the D&D Adventurers League modules on this website will end with the end of the Rage of Demons campaign.
  • Not all content on the DMsGuild is D&D Adventurers League legal, legal content will have the D&D Adventurers League logo on it.
  • The admins are working on if and how player content would be D&D Adventurers League legal.
  • Conventions that are awarded Premier Adventures will be given complimentary copies of the adventure they're premiering as well as the usual convention support package.
  • The terms Expeditions and Encounter are being retired.
  • The Epics are still convention specials and will NOT be available on the DMsGuild.
  • Any organizer (including for stores and convention) can download a D&D Adventurers League Organizer kit, which will include character sheets, player's guides, as well as custom campaign information, for free.
  • We are working on having magic item certs still be limited to in-store and convention play. More on that, as it develops.
  • New D&D Adventurers League designers will likely be asked to design for the League based on adventure's they've posted to the DMsGuild.
  • All future D&D Adventurers League adventure designers will be paid exclusively through the sales of their adventures on the DMsGuild site with no cap for those payments.
  • Fai Chen's Fantastical Faire will still be offered to conventions and game-days that invite an admin or RC.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
They want people to play the AL adventures at home...

and if they are willing (and thinking about how) to allow player generated homebrew, then I think it will change for the better. And get rid of a majority of the restrictions. Don't you think?

There are really very few restrictions so I do not see them removing them.

Mirtek

Hero
They want people to play the AL adventures at home...

and if they are willing (and thinking about how) to allow player generated homebrew, then I think it will change for the better. And get rid of a majority of the restrictions. Don't you think?
I wouldn't be surprised by this turn of events. Sounds like some top down decisions by WotC are coming down the road and I wouldn't bet on them asking what the admins think of them

I'm just happy that I (as a non AL participant) can now buy D&D modules that have otherwise been unavailable to me for many years now, and use them in my home games as I see fit.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
and if they are willing (and thinking about how) to allow player generated homebrew, then I think it will change for the better.

Oh, gods no.

Have you ever played an MMO that allowed player-generated content? The most popular mods always, ALWAYS, were the mods people generated as 'farms' -- XP farms, item farms, etc. This would be a disaster for AL, throwing a to-this-point carefully crafted campaign to the winds.

Also, AL has done an admirable job of de-emphasizing the optimizer style in Organized Play to this point in its lifespan -- eliminating the content restrictions would simply open the floodgates to allow optmizers who are growing bored with PFS to invade AL and ruin an outstanding experience for the many AL players who neither feel the need nor have the desire to optimize in order to contribute to the success of their adventuring parties.

In other words, even though the distribution and play of AL has changed significantly as a result of this announcement, the role of the admins is the same today as it was yesterday -- oversee a shared-world campaign where, ideally, any player can feel confident in joining any game and having an enjoyable time.

--
Pauper

Mirtek

Hero
Have you ever played an MMO that allowed player-generated content? The most popular mods always, ALWAYS, were the mods people generated as 'farms' -- XP farms, item farms, etc. This would be a disaster for AL, throwing a to-this-point carefully crafted campaign to the winds.
Let's hope that WotC cares. Seems like a lot of the latest changing impacting AL have been as surprising to the admins as to the ordinary gamer
any player can feel confident in joining any game and having an enjoyable time.
Except if he/she's an optimizer :p

Benji

First Post
Thing I'm wondering - as someone who runs. Why would I run an adventurer's league adventure as opposed to my own? Before, it was free content. Now, I'd have to either pay or make something up to run in store. I'd just make something up to avoid paying. New players barely have a concept of AL and don't actually need to using it to enjoy D&D and become a member of the community, right? Am I missing something?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess, [MENTION=6793743]Benji[/MENTION], it's just a case of whether a couple of bucks is worth saving you the effort. Why would you buy any adventure ever? Why would you buy a novel rather than write your own?

Just an effort-reward equation. It's different for everyone. You buy it if you think it's worth it, but it's OK if you don't. :)

kalani

First Post
Yes. The admins were not the ones in the dark about this, just the rest of the campaign staff (not for lack of trying to get permission to tell us though of course) lol.

Remove ads

Remove ads