Airwalkrr's Maure Castle 3.5 OOC

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not an optimizer, and I am often just thinking of a story for the character. In this case, it was trying to do something with HW 6 (for the dimension door) that would be playable and fun.

I appreciate the point about MAD -- I thought I could overcome some of that with weapon finesse, but maybe I've missed something. As I said, I had originally thought of this as a ranged character.

I don't think the special feats will be that useful given the few levels I have -- smite is only +3 in any case, 1/day.

You're right about tripping -- I thought maybe that finesse would apply, thinking of a whip in the off hand. But probably not viable. Two rapiers, then?

WIth the knowledge consolidation that you describe and no need for Combat expertise and tripping, Intelligence could drop (with skill point adjustments), and cha could go higher (for the bonus to saves), or con (hit points).

[sblock="Here's what I've got so far:"]

Name: Courage Bloodstone
Class: Ranger/Paladin/Horizon Walker
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Alignment: Lawful Good

Level: 3/3/6 XP: 66,000
BAB: +12/+7/+2
Initial(Cost) Race Level Misc Total Bonus
Str: 10 (2p.) 10 0
Dex: 16 (10p.) +3 19 +4
Con: 14 (6p.) +0 14 +2
Int: 14 (6p.) 14 +2
Wis: 10 (2p.) 10 0
Cha: 14 (6p.) 14 +2

Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin, Giant, Gnoll, Undercommon (3pts in langs).

Abilities:
Paladin: Aura of Good (moderate), detect evil at will, smite evil 1/day (+3 damage vs. evil), divine grace (see saving throws), lay on hands (3 x cha bonus/day), Aura of Courage (immune to fear; allies get +4 on saves vs. fear), Divine health.

Ranger: Wild Empathy (+2 synergy), Favored enemy: Gnoll or whatever

Horizon Walker: +1 insight on attack and damage vs. creatures in Desert, Forest, Hills, Plains, Underground, and shifting plane; darkvision 60’; immune to fatigue; dimension door 1 per 1-4 rounds

Feats: Track (ranger), Endurance (ranger), Two weapon fighting (ranger), Weapon finesse (human), and....

Skills

this'll change now with the knowledge changes; attribute bonuses still to be added
Kn (Geography) 8 +2
Kn (Dungeoneering) 5 +2
Kn (Nature) 5 +2 (+2 syn)
Spot 11 +4competence
Listen 15 +4competence
Survival 15 (+2syn often) +2 when following tracks
Hide 15 +4competence
Handle Animal 5
Tumble (cc) 5
Search 5
Sense motive: 8
Kn (Religion) 1
Kn (Nobility) 1
Balance 5 +2syn
Ride 0 +2syn
Jump 0 +2syn[/sblock]

If this just isn't going to fit, I could start on something else.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Kobold Stew.... I know you wanted to have a high dex but with a 10 str you're not going to make much of the front line fighter... with the mix of classes you have you've pretty much set yourself up to have the spread your ability points too thin.

My suggestion... drop a class... go with one or two of them and make sure their needed abilities overlap to maximize potential. This is NOT an easy module to say the least, and you're concept in my opinion is a bit over the top for it....

then again this is your decision... submit what you wish to for a character to be approved by air... don't let me stop you... just wanted to give friendly advice...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yeah, you are all right. As I fiddle with this, it just doesn't work. I clearly tank at tanking. Let me think, and I'll see if I something else emerges.

Rhun

First Post
Also... On this note people.. I've got all of the Knowledge's above +10 or more. I'm not saying your character shouldn't have a Knowledge, but if we're all together most of the time you don't need to waste your skill points on them!

My wizard is lacking the equipment at this time, but spells and most other things, non-equipment related are done.

Knowledge skills are maxed, along with spellcraft.

My cleric will have some knowledge skills, mainly religion (which just makes sense). However, I may redistribute some skill points now based on your PCs and their knowledge.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So, what the team needs is a fighter --

perhaps Fighter 7/Dwarven Defender 5

(or if the racial paragons can be used from the srd (unearthed Arcana?):
Fighter 4/Dwarf Paragon 3/Dwarven Defender 5.) But now I gotta get to work.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
So what you're saying is if I have Knowledge Local and Knowledge History I'm wasting points as they are rolled into one now?
Exactly.

Re: racial paragons, no. I want to keep player options simple. Part of what bogged down the game last time I started this up was throwing the door wide open on what I would consider, and I ended up spending weeks looking at stuff to decide if it was appropriate. Inevitably I made some poor decisions that ended up with at least one character being way too wacky for what I was looking for. If it comes from the sources I listed, you can use it; there are no exceptions.

Rhun

First Post
Re: racial paragons, no. I want to keep player options simple. Part of what bogged down the game last time I started this up was throwing the door wide open on what I would consider, and I ended up spending weeks looking at stuff to decide if it was appropriate. Inevitably I made some poor decisions that ended up with at least one character being way too wacky for what I was looking for. If it comes from the sources I listed, you can use it; there are no exceptions.

Can't argue with this. It is often hard to determine if something is balanced at all until it is too late. I've ran into that a few times. In future games, I think I will limit options some too.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

Fair enough -- I was just looking at the online SRD (I don't have the PHB2) and trying to think. Fighter 7 is fine.

Solid build, heh.

s@squ@tch

First Post
So, I'm making up my wizard, and I'm noticing my saves are only in the +8 or +10 range. Kind of thinking that is a bit low, and I've already bought a cloak of protection.

Remove ads