anthropomorphic rpg

Andor

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I'd use World Tree, but Ironclaw is another option.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who bought World Tree. Probably the most thoughly thought out setting I've ever seen.

-Andor

scourger

Explorer
Omega World d20 has great, simple rules for these types of characters. It's from the Polyhedron side of Dungeeon #94. It's really Gamma World, but the rules could very easily accomodate anthropomorphs. Mutant animal races in the game are already identified as clicky (bugs), hairy (mammals) or scaly (reptiles). I find that the mutations can give just about nay animal pwoers or characteristics that one might need.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Andor said:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who bought World Tree. Probably the most thoughly thought out setting I've ever seen.

-Andor
Are you kidding me? I think that book has the most amazing magic system and possibly the most fun player creation system. Combat could be done better, but it's not horrible either.

I just wish people actually played the game, though.

Angcuru

First Post
Well, when I think Anthropomorphic RPG, I think Redwall. BUT that's more of a setting than a system, were it to be converted to RPG form. A little bit of a happy-go lucky setting, but mix it up Midnight style and BAM, there you go.

Andor

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Are you kidding me? I think that book has the most amazing magic system and possibly the most fun player creation system. Combat could be done better, but it's not horrible either.

I just wish people actually played the game, though.

Yup on all points. Granted the magic is just a modified version of Ars Magica but it's implemented well, and I love the fact that the spell list includes all the usefull day to day spells people would actually use in a magic rich world as opposed to DnDs 12,000-ways-to-fry-your-foe-Not-one-way-to-heat-your-house. And how can you not love 'The wet surprise'?

Plus soildly thought out in game reasons for all the fanatsy tropes they wanted to support (I.E. No mass production, commonplace monsters & wilderness) and a ruthless discarding of ones they didn't want. (No mass levy armies because high level character will chew 'em up.)

Plus, stupid flying octopi as a PC race.

-Andor

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Andor said:
Yup on all points. Granted the magic is just a modified version of Ars Magica but it's implemented well, and I love the fact that the spell list includes all the usefull day to day spells people would actually use in a magic rich world as opposed to DnDs 12,000-ways-to-fry-your-foe-Not-one-way-to-heat-your-house. And how can you not love 'The wet surprise'?

Plus soildly thought out in game reasons for all the fanatsy tropes they wanted to support (I.E. No mass production, commonplace monsters & wilderness) and a ruthless discarding of ones they didn't want. (No mass levy armies because high level character will chew 'em up.)

Plus, stupid flying octopi as a PC race.

-Andor
Hah. I know a guy (big ladies' Orren) that hammercasted Wet Surprise. That was an interesting session.

It's a cool system while still being flexible, I think. We had a civil rights organization working for the fair treatment of khytsoyis. They wanted to be seen as not stupid flying octopi with big clubs.

Kesh

First Post
Emiricol said:
What are these "iron claw" and "jade claw" books?

Ironclaw and Jadeclaw are a pair of fantasy RPGs using their own system. Both feature anthropomorphic animals as the player races, with Ironclaw being the psuedo-Medieval Europe setting and Jadeclaw the pseudo-Oriental setting.

You can read more about them, as well as the new edition of the sci-fi setting Albedo: Platinum Catalyst, at Sanguine Productions.

Personally, I find the rules for the games to be very interesting (if a little complicated). The Ironclaw setting is very well-done, though the core rulebook doesn't have enough for my taste. You really have to pick up the nation splatbooks to get a proper feel for the world.

Still waiting on my copy of Albedo to arrive, and I haven't seen Jadeclaw yet.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I'd go with Big Eyes Small Mouth or Tristat DX. Of course it helps that I am already trying to write up such a thing. :)

For D20, this site looks nice. And doesn't Savage Species have an anthropormophic template?

PS. Anyone ever seen the Furry Pirates and Furry Outlaws? How were they? I know both are out of print, but at least pirates is now on RPGNow. Never seen outlaws myself.

Remove ads