anthropomorphic rpg

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Yeah, Savage Species does have an anthropomorphic template at the back of the book, now that you mention. I don't remember the specifics of it.

Emiricol

Kesh said:
Ironclaw and Jadeclaw are a pair of fantasy RPGs using their own system.

<snip>

You can read more about them, as well as the new edition of the sci-fi setting Albedo: Platinum Catalyst, at Sanguine Productions.<snip>

Thanks, Kesh! Love the logo. One of my favorite pics in the book, heh.

EDIT: Half their links don't work though...

Kesh

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Yeah, Savage Species does have an anthropomorphic template at the back of the book, now that you mention. I don't remember the specifics of it.
I recall discussions here that the templates in SS are horribly, terribly unbalanced. Some too powerful, some too weak, very few playable. :(

Stormrunner

Explorer
The Savage Species table for anthro ability mods is totally wacked. They just went through the Animals list and changed their Size (Tiny or smaller -> Small, Small to Large -> Medium, Huge or larger -> Large), applying the size change modifiers as per the RAW. But, since many animals' attributes don't follow the size change progression, this results in weird and unuseable results.
Some examples: (STR/DEX/CON)
Ape: +2/+6/+0
Baboon: +4/+4/+2
Bison: +0/+2/+2
Dog: +6/+4/+2
Donkey: +0/+2/+2
Horse, light: -6/+4/+0
Horse, heavy war: +0/+4/+2
Mule: -2/+4/+2
Pony, war: +4/+2/+4
Snake, constrictor: +6/+6/+2
Snake, Tiny viper: +0/+4/+0
Snake, Huge viper: -8/+10/-2

That's right, an anthro light horse is weaker than a halfling and more agile than an elf, and an anthro pony far outmuscles him, and an anthro dog can beat either. A baboon is stronger and less agile than a gorilla... basically Table A-58 is completely unusable as written.

I have Furry Pirates, it's very similar to Ironclaw/Jadeclaw.

Samurai

Adventurer
Stormrunner said:
I have Furry Pirates, it's very similar to Ironclaw/Jadeclaw.
Perhaps similar in the nature of the setting, but the rules system is very different. I would recommend Ironclaw and Jadeclaw, with some house rules to reduce some of the die rolling. I've attached my house rules to this post... Note that 2 of the files are adapted from charts by Sanguine Productions, which I've then modified and added to.

Attachments

• Ironclaw Jadeclaw house rules.zip
    103.8 KB · Views: 35

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Wow I didn't think the anthro template of Savage Species was that bad, just looked like to much work to actually be useable.

Stormrunner: Would Furry Pirates be worth the money as a good read?

tecnowraith

First Post
Well recent issues of Dragon had stats for anthro likes frogmen and lupins, and ther is Monte catpeople as well. Races of the Wild ha sthe cat-folk but from the art, there more humaniod than animal.

tecnowraith

First Post
Well the whole idead for my campaign is that this would a fantasy world unlike any that has been yet. The world/planet itself is in fact very new like 10 to 20,000 years old and I wanted to create group races that would be the first inteligent, bipedal creatures before humans showed up. The one rule for this campaign I had was there will be no humans in the mains for story reasons.

Tetsubo

First Post
Nuclear Platypus said:
Here's a few things that might help:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, out of print but there's bound to be some relatively cheap copies floating around. The mutation rules were IMO the funnest part of it.

After The Bomb RPG is apparently the successor to TMNT (Palladium let the license go or otherwise lost it) that has even more extensive mutation rules, which may be more balanced as well.

Jadeclaw is a bit complex IIRC but its got anthropomorphic critters in an Asian setting. At the least it can be mined for ideas.

Advanced Bestiary has a template that can anthropomorphize critters. The example in the book is a triceratops (reminded me of the Triceratons from TMNT).

How do the animals with the Advanced Bestiary yemplate pan out CR-wise? I haven't actually played with the template yet. But it seems that there would be widely different CR levels. How would you resolve that for players wanting anthro PCs?

Remove ads