Any Malazan fans here?

Melanos

Explorer
Cool. I was kind of hoping such an ability existed. Anyways, your builds are definitely worthy of the characters as I see them in the series. Great job.

Belzamus

First Post
Thanks. :)

I think I've exhausted most of the non-magical iconic figures. Are there any others that come to mind you'd (or anyone else here) would like to see?

Otherwise I'll have to started with the more magical people. Rake comes to mind. :devil:

Oh, maybe Kilmandaros? Or one of the Forkrul Assail? (don't know too much about them, though). Maybe a K'chain. Lots of cool art of those...

I'm not really sure how do magic, though. It's easy for the Ascendant types to just give them at-will SLAs since they have such massive reserves of power, but for mortal mages, some kind of system seems necessary. Maybe something similar to Psionics, but with aspected spell lists rather than disciplines. Hmm...

Belzamus

First Post
And...here he is. (These pictures are, of course, Michael Kormack's outstanding, Ascendant-caliber work) (also, I really hate the spacing issues at ENWorld.)

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } --> </style> [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anomandaris[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anomander Rake, Dragnipurake, Son of Darkness, Knight of High House Dark, Lord of the Tiste Andii, Lord of Moon's Spawn, Mane of Chaos, Blacksword[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
Rake.jpg
Rake2.jpg

[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]To mother's regret...was Light granted birth. In dismay, she saw to late its corruption. Galayn...you are the unintended victim...of punishment long overdue!”[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anomander Rake. Lord of the black-skinned Tiste Andiii, who has looked down on a hundred thousand winters, who has tasted the blood of dragons, who leads the last of his kind, seated in the Throne of Sorrow and a kingdom tragic and fey.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tiste Andii [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Medium Outsider [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hit Dice: 100d20 +3,300 (5,300 hp)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Initiative: +56 (+28 Dexterity, +20 Divine, +8 Superior Initiative)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Speed: 100 ft.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Armor Class: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]139 (+20 Armor, +36 Deflection, +28 Dexterity, +20 Divine, +25 Natural) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Flat-Footed:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] 111 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Touch: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]94[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Base Attack/Grapple: +100/+153[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Attack: Dragnipur +205/+205/+205/+200/+195/+190 24d6+105 17-20/x3[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Special Abilities: Divine Aura (4,400 ft.), Draconean Soletaken, Knight of High House Dark, Kurald Galain, Spell-Like Abilities [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Special Qualities: Divine Bonus (+20), DR 50/epic, Fast Healing 50, SR 130, Spell Reflection[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Saves: Fort [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]+131[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ref[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] +127 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Will [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]+125[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Abilities: Str [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]77 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dex[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] 67 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Con [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]76 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Int [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]63 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Wis[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] 65[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cha [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]83[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Skills: Omnicompetent, all skills= 123+Relevant Ability Modifier[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Improved Initiative, Improved Critical (Greatsword), Improved Critical Multiplier (Greatsword), Melee Weapon Mastery (slashing, Power Attack, Slashing Flurry, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Weapon Supremacy (Greatsword)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Epic Feats: Combat Mastery, Dire Charge, Double Standards, Epic Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Epic Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Greater Critical Multiplier (Greatsword), Light Armor Mastery, Medium Armor Mastery, Heavy Armor Mastery, Weapon Abatement[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Metamagic Feats: Automatic Metamagick Capacity (10), Dire Spell, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Intensify Spell, Masterful Spell, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Thaumaturgic Spell, Widen Spell[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Divine Abilities: Annihilating Spell, Cunning Soul, Dolorous Spell, Greater Aura, Perfect Initiative, Quickness, Prodigious Spell, Spell Abatement, Superior Aura, Sure-Footed,Sure-Handed, Sure-Minded[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cosmic Abilities: Spell Amplification[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Alignment: Neutral[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Environment: Moon's Spawn/Black Coral[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ECL: 144[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]CR: 96[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Possessions: Dragnipur, +12 Full Plate of Heavy Fortification [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dragnipur[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dragnipur had never offered salvation. Iron forged to bind, a hundred-thousand chains hammered into the blade, layers upon layers entwined, folded, wrapped like rope. Draconus, surrounded in the molten fires of Burn's heart, drawing forth chains of every metal that had ever existed, drawing them out link by glowing link. Twisted ropes of metal on the anvil, and down came the hammer. The one hammer, the only tool that could forge such a weapon – and he remembered its vast weight, the scalding grip that had lacerated his alien hand.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Even in her dreaming, Burn had been most displeased.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Chains upon chains. Chains to bind. Bind Darkness itself, transforming the ancient forest through which it had wandered, twisting that blackwood into a wagon, into huge, tottering wheels, into a bed that formed a horizontal door – like the entrance to a barrow – above the portal. Blackwood, to hold and contain the soul of Kurald Galain. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He remembered. Sparks in countless hues skipping away like shattered rainbows. The deafening ringing of the hammer and the way the anvil trembled to every blow. The waves of heat flashing against his face. The bitter taste of raw ore, the stench of sulfur. Chains, chains, and chains, pounded down into glowing impressions upon the blade, quenched and honed and thrust into Burn's white heart and then – it begins again. And again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Chains! Chains to bind![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Bind the fallen![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Slain by his own craft, the sword Dragnipur passed from the Elder God, Draconus, into the hands of Anomander Rake. And for a hundred-thousand years, he has carried its unbearable burden, feeding souls into its cold dominion, souls to drag chains in darkness, dragging Darkness itself from the advance of Chaos. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Easily the most fearsome weapon ever forged, Dragnipur is more a burden to he who wields it, forcing him to slay again and again, to chain souls in agony for eternity. With a single stroke, it can consume any creature, drawing them into the sword's dismal Warren, shackled for all time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It is a +40 Greatsword that ignores all Damage Reduction or Hardness, as well as an opponent's immunity to Critical Hits. Due to the crushing weight of the thousands upon tens of thousands of souls trapped within, the sword's base damage is increased to 24d6 and requires a 70 strength to wield effectively. It has a natural critical threat range of 17-20 and a natural critical multiplier of x3. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On successful attack (that deals at least 1 point of damage), an opponent must make a Fortitude and Will Save (DC 120) or have their soul drawn into the sword, forever imprisoned. There is no way, short of breaking the sword with the Hammer of Burn (the sword cannot be damaged by any other means), to free the souls Dragnipur has chained. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When drawn, Dragnipur emits the sorrow and suffering of all those trapped within, in a 6,000 ft. radius. The table below illustrates the effects: (DC 120)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5 Hit Dice or fewer: Death[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5-10 Hit Dice: Nauseated[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]10-20 Hit Dice: Pain (as Symbol of Pain)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]21+ Hit Dice: Sickened[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The save is made each time a creature enters Dragnipur's aura.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mages, in addition, suffer 1d10 damage per Caster Level upon entering the aura.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The wielder can suppress this ability in a given round by making a Will Save (DC 120)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Combat[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rake always acts first in a given round.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He can not be Tripped, Disarmed, or Feinted against.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His spells use d12s in the place of their normal damage-die and have their caps quadrupled. All of his spells do Permanent Damage and half Divine Damage. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Abatement[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rake ignores the first weapon and spell to strike him each round. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Divine Aura[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rake's Divine Aura extends out to 4,400 ft. It has the following effects, all of which are DC 66:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Daze [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fear[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sleep[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pain[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stunning[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Weakness[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Superior Heroism[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Draconean Soletaken[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As a Full-Round Action, Rake can veer into the form of a Titanic Dragon, black as the heart of Darkness, with a mane of glistening silver. He can remain in this form indefinitely, however, any damage he takes carries over between transformations. While in his Eleint form, Rake's stats are modified as follows:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His Hit Dice are increased to d100s, raising his Hit Points to 14,300 (with his increased Constitution).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His Strength increases by 50 and his Constitution by 20, while his Dexterity decreases by 10. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He takes a -16 Size Penalty on Attack Rolls and Armor Class[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He gains a Fly Speed (Good) of 270 ft. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He gains two Claw attacks (10d10), a Bite attack (15d10), two Wing Attacks (8d8), and a Tail Slap attack (10d10). [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He gains two breath weapons, powered by Kurald Galain and Starvald Demalain, respectively. (cone 550 ft., 50d12 Divine Cold and 50d12 Permanent Damage; and line 2,200 ft. 50d20 Divine Damage and 50d20 Force Damage, Reflex DC 113 for ½. He must wait 1d2 rounds before using each breath weapon again.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Knight of High House Dark[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anomander Rake holds the position of Knight in High House Dark. The House's ancient power suffuses him, affording him the following benefits:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He can see perfectly in any darkness, even magical darkness[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He is immune to Cold damage and Negative Energy[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He gains a +40 Competence Bonus to all rolls and Armor Class whenever in areas of darkness[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He gains Regeneration 100 while in areas of darkness[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Kurald Galain[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rake is not merely a High mage of the Warren of Elder Dark, he is the Archmage of the Tiste Andii and the son of Mother Dark herself. Kurald Galain would be his very lifeblood, were it not contaminated with the chaotic blood of Tiam. Still, Rake remains the mightiest user of Kurald Galain to ever live and with it can use the following effects:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As an at-will Spell-Like Ability he may duplicate the effects of any spell with the [Darkness] or [Cold] descriptor, applying Automatic Metamagic as he sees fit.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As a Standard Action, he may Plane Shift to Kurald Galain at will.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He may assault his foes with the essence of the Elder Dark in the following ways, each of these abilities deal half Divine Cold damage and half Permanent Damage:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Beam 4,400 ft., 100d12, no save[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blast 4,400 ft. range, 275 ft. burst, 50d12, Reflex (DC 116) for ½ [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Breath 1,100 ft. line or 275 ft. cone, 100d12, Reflex (DC 113) for ½ [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blood 25d12 when struck, Reflex (DC 113) for ½ [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hand Melee Touch, 150d12, no save[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Immolation 4,400 ft. Burst on death, 150d12, Reflex (DC 116) for ½ [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Storm 4,400 ft. emanation, 25d12 per round, Reflex (DC 116) for ½ [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Strike +25d12 on attacks, no save[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Wrath 275 ft. Gaze, 50d12, Will (DC 116) for ½ [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]By spending an additional round concentrating on these effects, Rake may doubled their rage, area, and damage.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Spell-Like Abilities[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At Will: Commune, Dream, Etherealness, Geas/Quest, Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Teleport, Magic Jar, Sending, Tongues[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]20/day: Wish[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Spell Reflection[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When a spell fails to penetrate Rake's Spell Resistance, he can rebound it back on the caster immediately, amplifying it with his own Automatic Metamagic Abilities.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey Belzamus,

just wanted to thank you so much for suggesting this series to us forum-dwellers here! After you mentioned what the books are about, I immediately went to the city and bought the whole 9 books that are available so far; and I'm loving Erikson's work :D

Belzamus

First Post
That's great! :)

I knew you guys would like it if you gave it a chance.

Just 6 more months until the final book comes out, I can't wait!

Belzamus

First Post
Oh, also, I've noticed that my power scale seems to have jumped up a bit from what I originally intended. The only person who seems like he should be pushed up is Dassem, I think closer to ECL 75 or 80 would be more accurate for him. He's still not in the league of the continent-smashers like the last three I posted, though.

I really want to stat Raest at some point, but I don't know if I should do with-Finnest or without-Finnest. There's little consensus among the Malazan community if when Rake is questioning if he'd be able to win against him, if he knew Raest was deprived of his Finnest at the time. If he was afraid of fighting the 1/10th power version of Raest we saw in GotM...Raest would have to be level 300 or something with his Finnest, which...might make sense, considering he enslaved entire continents, drove multiple species to extinction by laying waste to the land, and with the help of a Bonecaster, could have annihilated the entire pantheon. Hmm...I think I prefer to take the sane approach and assume Rake meant with-Finnest, and at full power, Raest is in the ECL 180 range.

Hoss2847

First Post
Great work here man. You ever read Night Angel? I would love to see what you could come up with for those characters. Durzo Blint and Kylar especially.

Remove ads