• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

Vertexx69

First Post
Fangor the Fierce said:
You do realize that if you have the Mage Slayer feat, that any spellcaster that you threaten automatically knows that you have it, and that they know they can't cast defensively? It's in the description of the feat. I ran into this with my own spiked chain wielding barbarian/fighter in my home game. Just thought you would like to know.
I don't have access to all the books anymore, just crystalkeep.com which has abbreviated rules. But its ok since they have to be within my threatened range to know. :)

Vertexx69

First Post
Douane said:
In my quest for an archer concept I'd been going over the old (and not converted) 3.0 archer PrC Peerless Archer and Deepwood sniper to see if they could possibly turned into adequate 3.5 versions. Still I've been a bit reluctant to suggest those since their 3.0 status. Same goes for the 3.0 "Three arrows for the King" pdf which concentrated on archery.
Warlock is always overlooked as an "archer" class, even though thats precisely what it is. 1 feat and you have a 250ft range with all kinds of nifty extras. If you're totally flabbergasted, theres another option :) and they can be of fey origin to keep with your "wilderness" theme.

sure go ahead and post the text.

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! :) (Truth be told I usually suck at playing the spell-casting classes and thus I never really looked into Complete Arcane/Mage books; just bought them for the group.)

Mage Slayer

You have studied the ways and weaknesses of spellcasters and can timr your attack and defenses against them expertly.
Benefits: You gain a +1 bonus to Will saves. Spellcasters you threaten may not cast defensively (they automatically fail their concentration checks to do so), but they are aware that they cannot cast defensively while being threatened by character with this feat.
Special: Taking this feat reduces your spellcaster level for all your spells and spell-like abilities by 4.

moritheil

First Post
Just a reminder - our resident gnome is not going to be a full spellcaster. Also, I'm afraid a spellthief can't fully replace a rogue with regard to liberating items and bypassing traps. Just letting you know so it doesn't come as a surprise later.

We have a druid but that's about it with regard to full casters, insofar as I can tell. Of course, the Dragon Shaman can also buff/heal. But we have no Knock spell, no Invisibility, no Detect Invisibility . . .

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
No problems here but I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I play with a RL group consisting of a Rogue, a Ranger and a Fighter/Ranger/Rogue Bard. :)

BTW, I noticed a few things on rosalind's sheet:

"Acrobatic Backstack" - She doesn't qualify for the skill feat as it requires 12 ranks of tumble. (Had looked into this myself when I considered a sneak attack-based archer.)

Mithral Chain Shirt +1 [2100 gp; AC5 6maxdex 0 ACP 10% ASF] - Costs only 1100 GP.

+1 Keen Enfeebling Rapier [20000 gp; 1d4+1 15-20x2, 1d6+2 Str dam on crit; casts L1 shield when drawn] - Shouldn't this cost 22000 GP ? 18000 for a weapon +3, 4000 for the continuous spell (Spell level 1 x CL 1 x 2000 x 2 ["If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2"]) I had also thought about adding a continuous spell but the total cost was a rather prohibitive.

Arabesu

moritheil,

Your total gear value should go up to 24,000 total, not 24,640.

Duoane is right, I'm not sure the boon is calculated correctly. If understand, the shield goes off every time its drawn? So essentially you will always have it, yes? Did you get the "draw to cast shield at L1" from the MIC? If its in there, I'm not familiar with it.

As it is, your could get it as a 3/day use activated for 4000X3/5 = 2400. Pretty close to what you were aiming for, but you'd need to push a few gold around. I would then let you upgrade it to be any number of times per day at a later date for the difference (in this case 1600). Arguable it would still be under-costed since a +3 buckler would cost 9k, a +2 animated h. shield would cost 16k, and the ring of force shield is 12k (and only a +2). Still, it could be dispelled, only lasts 1 minute, and requires that you draw your weapon to "cast" all of which limit the ability in what I think are interesting ways so I'll allow it at the above prices. One other limitation: If it absorbs a magic missile spell, it is dispelled until redrawn.

There, done! I'm pretty happy with it.

Also, the gnome illusionist variant is pretty balanced, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Which book is it taken from?

My recollection as to whether the gnome would be a full caster is a little bit fuzzy. I think they will be a bit behind since the Master Spellthief adds the arcane caster level to spell thief spell-like ability caster level I thought. The Master Spellthief feat isn't in the crystalkeep pdf I have, so if you have the time, could you transcribe the text into this thread? Thanks.

The tabletop vesion of EotLQ has a spellthief and its worked out nicely, but they also had swordsage, a scout, and rogue at one point. Talk about stealthy!

I see what you mean regarding the deficiency in disable device/open lock. You'll just have to find and disable traps the old fashioned way; by setting them off :]

Good thing you have a barbarian.

Last edited:

Remove ads