• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

Douane

First Post
Arabesu said:
Yup. If for some reason you need to dip into four classes over 9 levels, then either

1) Your just trying to cherry pick the best out of the obviously front-loaded classes,

or

2) Your character concept doesn't fit with the base and prestige classes available

reason 1 is a common powergamer trick and I have to draw the line somewhere or pretty soon it'll escalate into everyone asking me if they can play gestalt characters and then I have to adjust the challenges accordingly and the other players suffer AND spend more time in preparation than I'd like. There are enough power-gamerish options out there already, so I have to set boundaries somewhere, and in my experience this is the simplest for me to adjudicate and still provide the flexibility that the DND multi-class rules encourage.
Well, I rather hope it's number two for me. :)

reason 2 I can work with, pitch a concept for a custom prestige or base class and I'll work on it. If looking to go Bo9s archer, there is a single class option on the internet that may interest you but I don't have time to find it now.
Sounds like Hong's Markman Adept to me. Thanks for the offer, but since I don't have the Bo9S, it's really no viable alternative for me.

Unfortunately, with the grandiose total of 1 (!) PrC for archers - and that being one that absolutely doesn't fit (OoBI) - there isn't much to choose from.

If you are short one feat, consider ONE flaw. I have opened that option up for another PC. This might allow you to drop fighter altogether.
The thing is, I'm not actually lacking in feat slots, but in feats that offer anything interesting to an archer. (The really interesting options are tied up in PrCs.) And if I forego fighter, I'd be also be missing about the only ways to increase an archer's damage output per arrow (weapon specialization and ranged weapon mastery).

So, in short, I will have to revaluate the concept and ponder if an archer really makes sense.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
That stat block won't make a good swordsage so I changed him to fighter. Is their an augment crystal that lets you call your weapon from anywhere for about 1500g? Otherwise I'll probably end up throwing the least undead crystal on it (+1d6 vs undead).

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Vertexx69 said:
That stat block won't make a good swordsage so I changed him to fighter. Is their an augment crystal that lets you call your weapon from anywhere for about 1500g? Otherwise I'll probably end up throwing the least undead crystal on it (+1d6 vs undead).

Lesser Crystal of Return, grants you ability to draw weapon as free action and also to call weapon from up to 30 feet away as move action for 1000 gp.

Jack of Tales

First Post
Thanks for the help with that Arabesu, I'll make those changes accordingly. I'm good with leaving off with just a Wildling clasp, it was more of a question then anything else.

Arabesu

not huge chain

Hey Vertexx69, I hope this won't be a problem, but I noticed that you are applying an additional size increase to reach and weapon damage from an enlarged weapon when mountain raging. As per the Races of Stone, pg 150 last sentence, that sound not be the case. All it does is increase space to 10ft, add +5 to natural reach, and apply size penalties to AC and attacks, plus the awesome ability enhancement of +6(!!) and Con and AC penalty.

Thus your reach will only be 20 feet when raging. Thats still pretty F'n far. You threaten a 50 ft diameter circle. Wow, battlefield control shouldn't be a problem.

Text for Mountain rage, last sentence pg 150 with regard to the enlargement, "However, he does not gain the additional benefits on weapon size and grapple checks, since he already has them from the powerful build racial trait."

Even without the 25ft reach and 3d6 damage, me thinks you have optimized pretty well for chain fighting. Should be interesting.

One other thing, I assume you are planning to use EITHER large and in charge OR improved trip per AOO, but not both.

Arabesu

Douane, how about this? Favored enemy generally sucks, instead of your favored enemy bonuses, you can get discretionary points that you can use to boost damage on a round for round basis. You can divide up the points over all your attacks for the round or add them to a single attack.

Additionally, if you aim at a single target for one full round you can double your bonus for that target for the subsequent round. Not a huge bonus to each arrow, but a way to get over the DR hump if you have little else and a nice neat mechanic for taking time and aiming at a target.

Bonus would be 2/round at 1st, 4/round at 5th, 6/round at 10th (or doubled if you aimed on the previous round), but unlike most precision damage, can be applied to any target(s) within the first range increment.

If you want a huge bonus to each arrow, consider a +1, impact bow as your boon. +5 damage is pretty big, and unlike the +7 points you'd get from energy, it would be tripled on a critical.

Vertexx69

First Post
Arabesu said:
Hey Vertexx69, I hope this won't be a problem, but I noticed that you are applying an additional size increase to reach and weapon damage from an enlarged weapon when mountain raging. As per the Races of Stone, pg 150 last sentence, that sound not be the case. All it does is increase space to 10ft, add +5 to natural reach, and apply size penalties to AC and attacks, plus the awesome ability enhancement of +6(!!) and Con and AC penalty.
The effect would have to increase the size of my gear 1 size as well, otherwise I would tear out of my armor and gear whenever I raged, like a lycanthrope (doesn't make a whole lot of sense).
So I would become large sized with large sized gear. And still have the powerful build feature, since the chain was already large size it goes up to huge. Since it doesn't specifically say your gear doesn't grow with you, like in the lycanthrope description (PHB p.176), it can be deduced that it does.

If none of that sways you to the common sense way of looking at the rules, then I suppose I can drop 1 of his pluses from the weapon to make it "Sizing" and just control it myself.

As far as the size bonuses to trip and grapple etc., those also come with penalties to hide and increased armor check penalties for being a size bigger. The 2 extra strength (normal rage is +4) is really only +1 damage because I get a -1 to hit for going up to large size.

Not trying to whine about it, but just trying to illustrate how everything is balanced.

They weren't thorough when they wrote the book, any gaps in verbage should revert back to the core rules IMHO.

For example how only the 2 weapon fighting feat (p.h.b.)mentions anything about critters with more than 2 arms. All subsequent book feats, that apply to two weapon fighting styles, don't say anything about them. But a bit of logic, and the game rolls on. If they had to write every rule out every time, the books would be twice as thick and expensive.

And my character doesn't qualify for the "Large and in Charge" feat as hightower isn't large sized (except when raging for a whole 7 rounds a day :p ) I think it's knockdown+improved trip your thinking of. (deal 10+ dmg you get to make a free trip attempt, if they trip follow up with another attack) - that was fun in 3.0 :cool:

Remove ads