• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

Jack of Tales

First Post
Wow after finding the wildling clasp I want to remake the abilities the gauntlet grants. It'd be brilliant to have a black panther running around with this monstrosity attached to its left arm.

Edit: Can armor crystals be added to an item for Arms? I suck at making magic items...

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Maximum number of classes = 3; NO EXCEPTIONS!

Is this for starting characters only, or does this mean if I take a level of a PrC, I'll never be able to advance in anything but Ranger, Fighter and the PrC ?

Thanks!

Arabesu

Yup. If for some reason you need to dip into four classes over 9 levels, then either

1) Your just trying to cherry pick the best out of the obviously front-loaded classes,

or

2) Your character concept doesn't fit with the base and prestige classes available

reason 1 is a common powergamer trick and I have to draw the line somewhere or pretty soon it'll escalate into everyone asking me if they can play gestalt characters and then I have to adjust the challenges accordingly and the other players suffer AND spend more time in preparation than I'd like. There are enough power-gamerish options out there already, so I have to set boundaries somewhere, and in my experience this is the simplest for me to adjudicate and still provide the flexibility that the DND multi-class rules encourage.

reason 2 I can work with, pitch a concept for a custom prestige or base class and I'll work on it. If looking to go Bo9s archer, there is a single class option on the internet that may interest you but I don't have time to find it now.

If you are short one feat, consider ONE flaw. I have opened that option up for another PC. This might allow you to drop fighter altogether.

Three classes is a reasonable number for a 9th level character IMO.

Last edited:

Arabesu

So, with the 28 point buy, or die roll, if you rolled, and the dice were unfavorable to me, then I couldn't then go for the point buy, right?

Yes, thats right. Choose which method you want to use before you roll. You're on your honor here to stay balanced. I'm not going to go back to invisible castle and scan the last 100 rolls for your character name, but one of the other players might and they are in their right to do so. I'm not going to because I don't have time to.

Personally, I like the first two options more, because I like playing with mediocre but consistent stats, presumably because I play PCs with MAD.

Last edited:

Arabesu

Wow after finding the wildling clasp I want to remake the abilities the gauntlet grants. It'd be brilliant to have a black panther running around with this monstrosity attached to its left arm.

Edit: Can armor crystals be added to an item for Arms? I suck at making magic items...

Yes, armor crystals can be added to items for arms assuming they provide an armor bonus i.e. bracers of armor. Your item occupies the glove slot which is technically distinct from the arm slot. I'm going to rule that you can either have the wildling clasp OR an augment crystal but not both attached at any given time. The wildling clasp is arguably very strong for its price, and I like it, the draw back being it limits your options for crystals. You could have a second item with the crystal, but your boon item would not be able to take both.

Arabesu

math error

Jack of Tales,

I think you have made an error in your calculations for your boon item. Its +13k to go from +6 armor to +7 armor, not to go from +0 armor to +7 armor, a common confusion with the way they've presented that table in the MIC.

Your boon could have +3 armor bonus for 9k, similar to bracers of armor +3... and you would be able to upgrade it to +4 at the first opportunity by investing 7k.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Ok, fine tuned my character sheet, adding what items I thought would be appropriate. When you said that I could remove the Swift Action from the Changeling and Returning properties, did you mean simply the Changeling Properties? Returning is a free action to catch the weapon beginning of next round. So, 50% of the Returning and Changeling price, which is 1/2 of 6k, plus 1/2 of 2k, totaling 4k. Is that right? I would think that it would be 50% of the property being reduced (Changeling), and if needing to increase that cost, it should be the cost of the magical weapon, without the added magical properties such as Returning, Impaling, etc. So, 1/2 of 2k (for it's +1 Magical Enhancement), and 1/2 of 2k for Changeling property.

Or is this a House Rule, as I have never encountered this aspect. It's a nice option, but pricey. I still think it would be worth it, especially for a Dragon Shaman. I will be saving up to take advantage of this option for sure!

Added the usual, traveling papers, id papers, darkweave explorers outfit, etc. Are you allowing, as the norm, a free suit of player's choice? I took explorer's outfit, as that's his norm. I only added 100gp for the Darkweave addition, to gain a +1 to hide in shadowy illumination or darkness.

Arabesu

Fangor,

Sorry if I was unclear, what I meant about the returning property is an upgrade that makes the weapon return instantaneously, allowing, for example, for you to move after throwing or to throw multiple times in a round. I had forgotten that returning was +1 rather than a flat gold. Let me think on it and I can come up with an improved returning as total of +2, but you'll need something more to make it worth it, like the ability to throw further a limited number of times a day.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Sure, typical explorer's clothes can be free. Royal or noble outfits must be purchased from gold. If you want something cheaper than explorer's gear then take the difference as gold; its not much, but a little somin-somin for the monks.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Arabesu said:
Fangor,

Sorry if I was unclear, what I meant about the returning property is an upgrade that makes the weapon return instantaneously, allowing, for example, for you to move after throwing or to throw multiple times in a round. I had forgotten that returning was +1 rather than a flat gold. Let me think on it and I can come up with an improved returning as total of +2, but you'll need something more to make it worth it, like the ability to throw further a limited number of times a day.

No worries. I was hoping that the Changeling as a swift action could be reduced instead, as that costs a swift action, and having it be a free action would be better suited to his style of fighting. As for reducing the Returning power to be able to throw more than once a round, it's not really a choice right now, with the BAB of 3, as that won't even come into play until 8th level, when I get BAB 6/1 for that second attack. I would rather go with the reduction in Changeling to instant.

Remove ads