• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Baldur's Gate Comic from IDW Announcement.

Sammael

Adventurer
IDW has a long standing relationship with Hasbro so it's quite logical for them to be doing D&D comics.

They have several current Tranformers comic series, with "More Than Meets the Eye" being arguably the most popular (with superb writing, great plot twists, and mostly excellent art).

Chaltab

Explorer
I kinda have to roll my eyes at more Forgotten Realms material, but the art looks solid.

Though... I may be wrong, but isn't Tyranny of Dragons several hundred years after Baldur's Gate, considering the Spellplauge and whatever reverses the Spellplauge? I mean there are plenty of excuses to keep a guy from the 2E era alive in FR I guess so it's not a huge deal.

I hope Baldur's Gate isn't the only comic they're putting out. The previous one with John Rogers was great and never really got enough love, and I'd like to see takes on other worlds like Dark Sun or Sigil.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
so hang on, if I read this comic, am I going to get spoilers from the tyranny of dragons module thats coming out??
I doubt it.

Jim Zub said:
So although this is happening at the same time as Tyranny of Dragons and has some threads connecting it, it’s really meant to stand alone and be a new reader-friendly story for people to be able to pick up, whether or not they’ve played the Baldur’s Gate video games or whether or not they’ve ever read a D&D story before.
From the article cited upthread.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
My perspective:

Minsc and Boo survived the Spellplague? Nothing else matters; all is forgiven.

Seriously, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of Greenwood's The Herald, which is both the first Sundering novel I've read and the first Greenwood novel I've read, and it prominently features at least four characters who predate the Spellplague.

It's clear they're serious about handwaving this retcon -- if that's even the right word. The old Realms is back, for better or worse.

I am saddened they're not continuing the previous comic series. That one was awesome. So many comics are "okay for a licenced adaptation" but the previous D&D comic was excellent in its own right.

I'm curious if they'll address Minsc and Boo somehow surviving the 100+ year time jump. Really, from when Baldur's Gate is set to Tyranny of Dragons they're looking at closer to 125 years.

It's funny that the same writer is doing both the Pathfinder and D&D comic books.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm curious if they'll address Minsc and Boo somehow surviving the 100+ year time jump. Really, from when Baldur's Gate is set to Tyranny of Dragons they're looking at closer to 125 years.

According to the writer this will be answered in issue 1.

It's funny that the same writer is doing both the Pathfinder and D&D comic books.

Not anymore. Before this opportunity came available to him, he left the Pathfinder book. He was hoping to do something non-fantasy to not get typecast. :)

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads