best way to lose an MMA fight?

True, Tex would probably win. Still, I can't help but get totally unexcited at the prospect. Then again, any time someone mentions a Cormier fight I feel, well, totally underwhelmed. He's not, uhh, good.
Yeah, every time I think about Cormier and Texiera, I want to take a nap.
Football is usually fun. This was a game of suck. Two terrible teams being terrible for a terribly long time. It was baaaaaad.
That's why there is beer.

Fortunately UFC Fight Night 30 is this Saturday. Machida is fighting at 185. It should be interesting. The guy is fast at 205. I want to see if he is faster at 185. The question is will he be able to be as strong? I think he'll do pretty well at 185. There is a chance that the fight can be exciting... or really boring if he fights as fearfully as he has been doing the last couple of times. The rest of the card doesn't seem very interesting, but you never know.

Machida fighting at 185 brings up a few interesting questions. What happens if Silva regains his belt? Would Machida actually be willing to fight Silva? Would Silva want to fight Machida? It would be a great fight if it actually happened.

And with Machida now fighting at 185, you have to wonder if Machida even believes that Silva can regain his belt from Weidman? I'm not too sure Silva can. I mean, he is a hell of a fighter, but he is almost 40 years old. He has started to slow down. It happens with the best of them. Roy Jones Jr. slowed down at about the same age. it wasn't like Roy became a snail, but he slowed enough to be far less effective and get caught. Maybe Machida doesn't think Silva can beat Weidman. Weidman, stylistically at least, is a pretty bad match up for Silva. He has great wrestling, hits hard, has pretty good striking, and has enough self control not to fall for Silva's trolling and baiting during the fight.

Machida may be a worse match up for Weidman. Machida seems to have a really good game plan for wrestlers. That would be an interesting fight. Also, recently Dana said he would give Nick Diaz a fight with Bispin at 185. If Diaz starts fighting at 185, there is a chance that he may get to fight either Machida or Silva. That would be a glorious beat-down. Diaz would come out sounding more brain damaged than he usually does. 185 is getting interesting.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Sure sounds like it is. I don't know about Silva anymore either - like you say, he's on the downswing. Just nature - nothing against him. That said, I don't think that had anything to do with Machida's thinking. I don't think he thought about Silva at all. It's not like he's right in line for a shot anyway so he's got time. If Silva wins it again Machida will just fight whoever until Silva retires or loses. His hopes at 205 are just as bad as they are at 185 with Silva on top. Jones made him look like a fool so he isn't gonna get another shot any time soon.

I'd love to see Diaz get beaten down by Machida. dood would have nothing to offer against him. He thinks he's good slipping shots and the like but he's never seen anyone like Machida. It'd be awesome. The thing is if this Bisping/Diaz fight happens it'll kinda suck. Like, who do you want to lose more? Maybe a double KO ...

Sure sounds like it is. I don't know about Silva anymore either - like you say, he's on the downswing. Just nature - nothing against him. That said, I don't think that had anything to do with Machida's thinking. I don't think he thought about Silva at all. It's not like he's right in line for a shot anyway so he's got time. If Silva wins it again Machida will just fight whoever until Silva retires or loses. His hopes at 205 are just as bad as they are at 185 with Silva on top. Jones made him look like a fool so he isn't gonna get another shot any time soon.
Yeah, Silva's body is aging. He is still a great fighter that can take on a lot of top fighters, but he has lost a step. He isn't as fast, as active, or as aggressive as he was when he first got into the UFC.
I saw one of the interviews they did in Brazil with Silva and Weidman. Silva was asked, for like the billionth time, what went wrong and if he was going to change anything. According to Silva, the only thing he did wrong was make a "technical" mistake which he had apparently been making for several fights. Silva said that Weidman had obviously taken the time and studied fight tapes and saw the mistake and capitalized on it. Silva said he corrected that mistake, but he is keeping everything else the same. I don't see that working for Silva. If it had been only one mistake he needed to fix, Weidman wouldn't have beaten him that first round or knocked him out the second round.

I'd love to see Diaz get beaten down by Machida. dood would have nothing to offer against him. He thinks he's good slipping shots and the like but he's never seen anyone like Machida. It'd be awesome.
It would be an awesome fight. Machida is ridiculously elusive. Seeing as Diaz can only walk in a straight line while throwing punches. Machida may decide to be a bit more aggressive against a fighter like Diaz that has no fight plan besides "throw punches in bunches at 50% power, then when he is against the fence throw punches at 100% power." Diaz may think he is good at slipping shots, but the only thing he is going to slip is into unconsciousness.

The thing is if this Bisping/Diaz fight happens it'll kinda suck. Like, who do you want to lose more? Maybe a double KO ...
Diaz... always Diaz.:p
In any case, the pre-fight smack talk would be amazing. It wasn't very good when Bispin fought Sonnen, but that's probably because Sonnen like Bisping. Diaz doesn't like anyone. I'm sure he'd say something to get Bisping going. It would also be an interesting fight. Diaz with is 'walk face first into punches,' and Bisping, who has decent kickboxing. Bisping would also be throwing more kicks and a variety of strikes and take-downs against Diaz.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
The only problem with Diaz/Bisping is that Bisping has no power. He's ... weak. His technique also isn't very good. Honestly, I think the game has passed him by. He was good when guys weren't as skilled as they are. I'm not saying Diaz would beat him but, well, it's certainly possible.

Machida, though? He'd kill Diaz. It would be awesome.

The only problem with Diaz/Bisping is that Bisping has no power. He's ... weak. His technique also isn't very good. Honestly, I think the game has passed him by. He was good when guys weren't as skilled as they are. I'm not saying Diaz would beat him but, well, it's certainly possible.
While Bisping may not have a lot of power, he does posses a more versatile skill set. Also, Bisping isn't known for backing up and evading. He would probably throw strikes and outwrestle Diaz. Sure, there is a chance Diaz could win, but that just means that we get to see Bisping beat up, which is always fun. Either way, we get to see one of them lose.
Machida, though? He'd kill Diaz. It would be awesome.
I'd give it one round only. Machida would catch Diaz with some ridiculous counter like he did he did with Badder.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
True, one of those TARDIS would lose but it may end up being boring as hell. Two guys who can't hit all mad at each other and throwing punches an infant could laugh off. Not interesting. Maybe in the middle of round 2 they send Hendo in to give 'em both a big right. That'd make it better.

Yeah, Machida would dominate Diaz. Nick can't hurt him, can't take him down and would be incredibly frustrated by his jukiness really, really quickly. He'd do something dumb and get caught with something spectacular. Hmm ... Dana should make this happen. The question is whether or not Machida's camp would even bother. I think they'd see Nick (correctly) as beneath him. Of course, if they got some PPV backend ...

Remove ads