• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Brawler is out. What subclass should replace it?

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?

• Arcane Archer

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Cavalier

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Echo Knight

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Psi Warrior

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.1%

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That's litterally the same level 18 feature they put on the Champion.

That's more than just stepping on someone's toes. It's sharing an entire leg.
They also get the same level 10 feature.

When it came out I kind of figured that it was a way of stealthily "replacing" the Champion. I guess in a similar way to how the Undying Patron Warlock has been "replaced" with the Undead Warlock from Ravenloft.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Turning the Brute into a short or long rest subclass sounds like a pretty big rewrite to me. One worthy of a UA.

Also kinda undermines the flavor IMO.
WOTC doesn't UA math though. :cool:

Turning the Brute into a short or long rest subclass just puts it on a Paladinesque Schedule. "Normal attack or Big damage attack"

The Barbarian is simple and it manages resources.

But yes, muscles vs magic would be a decent pair. That's fair.

Though maybe
Champion (muscles) vs EK (magic)
Battlemaster (calculated) vs PDK (emotional).
That works too.
But the PDK would need UA.
That's the problem.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd have to see that math, because my gut tells me that a scaling extra damage dice that's added to all attacks is pretty much always going to be better than a 5% increase in crit range.
Yoy have a gut, Mearls had a spreadsheet, which he couldn't show because of proprietary, but went on at length how they even oit to he same thing. Guys can be wrong about math, but Mearls point was that even if the math is right people's guts are what matter to selling products.

mellored

Legend
Turning the Brute into a short or long rest subclass just puts it on a Paladinesque Schedule. "Normal attack or Big damage attack"
That's not the same subclass though. The only thing your keeping is the name.

Though the idea of a fighter who could combine multiple attacks into one big attack would be different.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's not the same subclass though. The only thing your keeping is the name.

Though the idea of a fighter who could combine multiple attacks into one big attack would be different.
Adding a die to every attack is too much damage. It would have to be limited. Either a retuned Brute, the Psi Warrior,or the Rune Knight.

Everything else needs playtesting.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You're confused about the conversation.

• The Battlemaster, Champion, and Eldritch Knight are confirmed for 2024 and out the UA stage.
  • The Brawler is cut from the 2024 PHB.
  • They are stopping playtesting on the Fighter.
  • The 4th Fighter subclass has to be a subclass that does not need public playtest.
  • It has to be a reprint of a past published Fighter subclass, an adjusted published Fighter subclass that they already have data on what to fix, or a UA fighter subclass that they have data on
  • The PHB subclasses were chosen as opposed pairs
  • The Champion (simple strategy) was paired with the Battlemaster (complex tactics)
  • The Brawler (uses nonweapon attacks) was paired with the EK uses (spells)
  • The Brawler is cut from the 2024 PHB.
  • The chosen subclass will likely have to pair with the EK
  • Out of what is available the best contrasts to the EK is the Psi Knight and the Brute.
All of this makes sense, and I completely understood.

It also has nothing to do with your claim that the Champion can't change without a UA

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads