Ceramic DM Winter 07 (Final Judgment Posted)

mythago

Hero
Gulla said:
I don't know much about the US generally an even less about Chicaco (exept what I have learned from old gangstermovies) but don't people look strangely at you if you wear a good coat and real gloves indoors?

Even here they do that ;)

People look at me strangely anyway, so what's a coat and gloves between friends?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Aris Dragonborn said:
I wasn't able to get much work done on my story this time around, as I came down with a nasty virus that knocked me flat for the better part of the weekend.

Here's the little I came up with.
It kicks ass that you posted what you've done. Even if an author doesn't finish, that's much more satisfying than the alternative. I wanted to say thank you.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Idolatry
Round 1, Match 4: BSF vs. Piratecat

I had no food or drink, so as I walked I chewed on my own little collection of miseries. They tasted bitter: thirst, sore back, sore feet, the gnawing spike of resentful guilt, and the acid taste of panic in my mouth. I needed a drink. I kept walking. I had little other choice. It was getting dark.

I’d left Alicja that afternoon when we argued. I stamped away from the car that she had pulled to the side of the road when she started to cry. She stood there with both hands on the door frame, words sharp as knives and cutting just as painfully, face twisted in an unattractive mixture of sorrow and anger, ordering me to come and discuss it instead of acting like an infant. I had been too furious to look back. I could feel the weight of disapproving parents and grandparents and relatives unknown sitting on my shoulders, anchoring me to ancient laws. I left Alicja behind me on the roadside and I walked away up a path that paralleled the road. I guessed it was less than fifteen kilometers to Kuzmina, and I could easily walk it. I heard her call once, then silence, and finally the distinctive sound of her car engine as it sped up the road.

I had almost turned back before I heard the car. Now I glowered and turned and kept going. I felt less self-righteous three hours later when it started to rain. I was lost.

I’m not entirely sure where my internal compass failed me. I’m sure I was self-involved enough to have missed a trail. When I topped a ridge and didn’t recognize the narrow valley stretching out before me, I swallowed my pride and back-tracked – and an hour later I still didn’t recognize where I was. By now I knew I had been foolish, but my pride prevented me from admitting defeat. The rain had stopped and it was a warm evening in the Carpathian foothills, so I certainly wasn’t worried about freezing. I was following a clear trail. I kept going.

Dusk fell, and the temperature with it.

Time to rest. I crumpled against a tree and put my head back, feeling the rough bark on the back on my neck. The birds were quieting now, but the meadows still smelled of summer. I clenched moss between my fingertips. Alicja wasn’t budging, and I could feel our love tottering – precariously balanced, slowly wobbling, and tipping under the counterweight of her false Gods. She didn’t have as much to lose as I did. She didn’t have to fear --

I pushed myself to my feet and kept moving. My good leather shoes were starting to raise blisters, but I knew sitting still meant getting cold.

Moving more slowly in the gloaming, I came out on a ridge overlooking another valley. Evening frogs were croaking somewhere in a swamp down the hill. Was that a road down there? Yes! And farther away, a light. Several lights. A town. Kuzmina? I didn’t think so, but they’d have a tavern with a phone. I’d call Alicja…

The blazes I would.

But I’d call a car service, or find someone to ferry me home. I suddenly realized how thirsty I was. I started down the hill, striding past the burbling of hidden frogs, moving cautiously through swampy turf to find a clear path. I kept moving, far too slowly for my impatience. Some time after midnight I hit the road. The town was farther than I would have guessed. By two in the morning I reached car-lined streets of cobblestone as old as the houses that lined them. The houses were dark. I could hear noise from somewhere – the sound of men laughing, and music.

The grumbling roar of heavy machinery led me to turn a corner, and far ahead of me I saw a bright yellow bulldozer pull away from a cheering, dispersing crowd. Someone yelled something that drew a bawdy laugh. A snippet of song, more shouted well wishes, and the small crowd began to disperse. I saw the growling bulldozer roaring towards me and to my astonishment the bulldozer’s lifted scoop had a bride and groom sitting in it, heads thrown back and faces suffused by joy. The bride’s white dress seemed to glow in the lamplight. I raised my hand and my voice, starting to ask for help, and then they were past me, laughing and waving. The bulldozer turned a corner and its roar faded in the narrow streets.

My thirst kicked in my throat like a wild beast.

They must have come out of a pub. I wearily tramped the remaining blocks up to where I had seen the crowd of people. The building was tall, black in the pale light, arched windows indicating an architectural style unusual for southern Poland. I looked up at the hanging sign. It said that the tavern was named The Quiet Pool. My heart sank when I saw that the “closed” sign was hanging on the door; the barman must have locked up as the last people left.

But maybe not? I knocked on the door, hesitatingly at first, then more loudly. I gathered my courage and tried the latch. It opened easily. The interior smelled old, very old, and damp – but not moldy or bad. I caught the scent of incense and horse. It caught me off guard.

“Hello?” The interior was dark other than a gentle light behind the bar. An oil lantern, wick turned low. It hung above a blue silk cloth that lined an empty niche in the wall.

“We’re closed, you know.” The voice came out of the dark. It was a resonant voice, female, but not from the kind of giggling women who trade tips on makeup and clothes. This voice didn’t giggle. It was the sort of voice could shake hospital walls during labor, that could call farm animals from the far end of fields. It carried the knowledge of pain within a rasp of smoke and liquor.

“I know, I saw, but I saw everyone leaving and I…” the words all flew out in a rush. “I had a row with my girlfriend and I got lost finding Kuzmina and I haven’t had anything to eat or drink since lunch. Please. I need someplace to rest, and something to drink.”

She was slow to respond. “Many people were just here. There was a wedding. Perhaps you saw.” She sounded amused, there in the darkness, but there was something else. Something formal. “You have asked for sanctuary in the same breath that you’ve asked for drink? How can I say no? I grant it, boy. Sit. Join me. This is a place where your thirst will be eased.”

I closed my eyes for half a second in silent thanks, and tottered to a chair. Her own bench scraped backwards, and she stepped to the bar. I watched her. Thin grey hair pulled back, a round face, Asian and ageless. She was very fat in her dull green cardigan sweater. My thirst scratched inside me, an angry rat trying to claw through a wall, but the first sip of beer washed it all away. No drink has ever tasted better than the one she handed me.

She sat, and her voice was proud. “I am Kopça, and you are in the Quiet Pool, my own little temple of drink. This has been my tavern for a long time. You saw the bulldozer?”

“I did. What is up with that?”

She sounded amused. “It is an ancient custom dating back a thousand years. The Mongol horsemen would ride their mounts in and swoop up their intended brides before the bride’s family could stop them. Later, after the marriage was consummated, the horseman’s brothers would gallop the couple around the camp as quickly as they could. It was meant to ensure that the baby would quicken in her. Some customs continue, even if the meaning has been forgotten. For horses we have bulldozers.” She shrugged, her worn hands expressive. “Things change.”

I wrinkled my brow and chuckled uneasily. “But those were proper Poles I saw, not Mongols. The groom must have had a friend who owned a bulldozer.”

“Of course he did. But just because they are proper Poles does not mean they have no Mongol blood. Ogedai Khan reached Poland in 1241. Surely you don’t think they came all this way without leaving something behind as well?” She chuckled deep in her throat. “Tradition is important, as are rituals. In religion and in life.”

It all came crashing back, and I sighed. Her eyes caught the light as she tilted her head. She had seen my expression. “But there is a story in why you are here.” I nodded reluctantly. “Then you will tell me. It is the offering and the exchange.”

I blinked. The beer was already half gone. “I’m sorry. The what?”

She smiled with her small round mouth. “Tradition is important. We will exchange stories. First you will tell me why you are here, and why you have fought.”

“My girlfriend,” I said, and I licked the foam off the inside of the glass. She fetched another pint and pushed it towards me. “I want to ask her to marry me, but we have a… problem.”

She watched me in silence. I felt awkward, exposed.

“What do you think of churches?” she asked abruptly.

My brow furrowed. How did she know? “I was raised in one.”

“So was I,” she said, “but surely in a different way. How are you of the church?”

“I’m orthodox. Really orthodox. My father is a Pastor. Our branch of the church makes, well,” I forced it out, “makes most conservative churches look like athiests. That’s the problem. We try to obey the old laws. I was raised to know what the one true God demands of me. I know the punishments if I fail. I don’t believe in blasphemy, or heretical worship, or the worship of false idols. And she does.”

She gave a croaking laugh. “False idols.” Her voice fell flat. “Of course. Deuteronomy 11:17?”

I lifted my eyebrows in surprise. “You know it?” She started, and we finished it together, her voice suddenly loud in the small space.

“And ye turn aside and serve other gods and worship them, and then the Lord’s wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit!”

And as she spoke I was gone from the bar. I was in a dank room in a seeping dungeon, and I could feel the weight of a castle above me, and the endless drag of years. It terrified me. The impression only lasted a second, but it left me shaking.

The room fell silent other than the burble of her breath. “What was that?” I asked. The taste of panic was back.

“History,” she said. “Ignore it.” And oddly enough, I did. “What is the other line about idols? Do you remember it?”

I instinctively quoted from chapter 29. “Ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold.”

“They forgot ceramic,” she said dryly.

“I’m sorry?” I asked.

“Nothing. How does this involve your girlfriend?” She settled back into the shadow, and I could hear her sip her drink.

“My girlfriend is a Wiccan,” I said. I pinched the bridge of my nose in embarrassment. “She worships.. I don’t even know. False idols. Trees, nature, the moon, some Goddess, the seasons, I have no idea. Their traditions are bizarre. She’s a heathen. I don’t think she’s a heathen, I mean, but everything I’ve ever been taught insists that she speaks blasphemy, and if I marry her I’ll be ex-communicated.” I hunched over my beer, miserable, taking a long pull. “I don’t know what to do. There are no other Gods. I wish she’d understand that.”

The room fell silent. She blinked slowly, as if considering.

“You need perspective.”

I sat up straight, angry, offended. She snorted in disdain.

“Today was a day of weddings,” she said, “and you complain of false gods. So what better than a story of idols? Hearken.” She settled down against the old leather of the seat. Her hands lifted the beer, and the liquid poured down her small mouth. She gave a croaking belch, swallowed convulsively, and looked past me as if talking to the distance. Her voice gained strength.

“The steppes of Asia are a desolate place, and a hard place. Once it was a land that birthed gods. Not like your god of Deuteronomy, although He was once like them as well. The steppes bred spirits. Tiny gods of Horse, and Luck, and Blood and Battle. Gods that a man could use. Men would call on their gods at home and in war.

“Kyzyk was one of them. Legend says that He was first a frog, a sign of life that drew a dying rider to a hidden mountain rainpool, after the rider had ridden thirsty for three days. The rainpool of the frog saved his life, and so he said prayers to the frog of the pool, and the spirit awakened. Thus was born Kyzyk, the God of Thirst, male and female both.”

I found myself behind the bar, pouring us both another drink. I brought both glasses back to the table. A libation, I thought nonsensically. She smiled at me with thin lips as one of her long fingers traced an abstract design in the spilled beer on the table. It was a frog, and it was beautiful.

“But Gods need worshippers,” she said. “The first horseman rode off and told others that he had found the sweetest nectar of life, the drink that salved all thirsts. He was the first hopping priest. His stories brought people to the high plateau, and they too drank the true water. The frog lived in a golden cage by now, gold stolen from the plundered cities of Xiongnu, and it was treated with respect so as not to offend the Thirst spirit that lived within it. When the frog died – for all things die, must they not? – the hopping priests took the dried corpse and wrapped it in muslin, burning incense over it all the while, and placed it in a special reliquary that watched over the pool. And the spirit stayed, tied to the idol.

“Soon, the hopping priests to the God of Thirst would take payment from any who would come. Their method of prayer was laughable to outsiders, hopping across the plateau with their faces to the ground as they offered up their sacrifices unto their God. But none would mock them openly! For it was known that the priests could curse their enemies with drought and dryness, as their frog-god would grant their prayers. It was a heady time for those who settled near the pool. By now the reliquary for the God of Thirst was pottery, round that it might be filled with drink, and painted in the image of the frog that led the first travelers to the pool. The faithful traveled and brought their rites across the steppes to the edge of the Caspian Sea itself, and their antics were often greeted with equal amounts of laughter and fear. Death sometimes followed. Such is the fate of prophets and missionaries.

She looked directly at me with her slow-blinking eyes. “You would call this God a false idol, would you not? And yet it was as true in its way as your God was to His worshippers.

“Fame breeds jealousy, and jealousy breeds greed. Soon the tale of the God of Thirst had even reached the ears of the great ones. They spoke to their shamans, and a plan was hatched. The Shrine of the Quiet Pool was razed and burned under the orders of Ong Khan, and the reliquary of Kyzyk was stolen forever. Imagine what it must have been like: to be at the Pool and hear the thunder of the approaching horses, to know that you held a power that would be of no help at all! The pool was stained red by the blood of the fallen priests that day, and as far as I know it runs red still.”

Her voice was sad, and she paused to drink. I was lost in the horse scent and sharp tang of coppery blood, in the screams of the fallen and the sound of steel. I was somehow there, under the mid-day sun, and I saw the filthy warrior who ripped the idol from the arms of a bleeding boy. Her voice jolted me back.

“Ong Khan gave the idol to the warlord Temüjin. He had 70,000 horse soldiers, and he brought Kyzyk with him as he wrought war across deserts. It traveled with him after he took the title Genghis Khan, and it traveled with him when he swept westward across Asia. When Genghis died and his son Ogedai continued west, the idol went with them. When the Mongols invaded Poland, though, the idol was seized. A Catholic priest recognized it for what it was, an object of holy power. And here in the Carpathians, it spent the next six hundred years hidden in the dungeons of a tower belonging to the Knights Templar.”

Once again, I was seized by the claustrophobic image of darkness and time. I looked up to see her eyes glinting orange in the lantern flame. Her voice was terribly old.

“You talk of faith and false idols. Imagine being stripped of your worshippers, to be self-aware enough to feel your power stripped from you by the icons of a heathen religion that had trapped you, and to be able to do no good while you languished. They preached to it constantly, scores of monks reciting scripture all the hours of the night. That is misery. You shun your love because she worships Gods you do not believe in. That does not make them false, boy. You can have everything or nothing, just as Kyzyk could have, and it is your choice.

“For that is what the God of Thirst did. He changed. As the years grated on, He realized that he had not been abandoned by His worshippers. For was there was not a time when He had no worshippers at all, before he created them himself? It is so! And so He did with the Knights Templar. It took decades, but the newly faithful smuggled Him out of the dungeons on a dark night, and some gave their lives to make sure that the God was free. People talk of religious freedom now, but this is something they would never have dreamed of. Kyzyk knew that He could never return to the old days. This was a new world ruled by a different God, and He could never again perform vast miracles or keep an army of missionaries.”

My voice was dry. “What… what did He do?”

She smiled, and it was like a drink of icy water after a dusty ride. “Why, I like to think that He found somewhere old and quiet to settle down. Someplace simple to act as His temple. Maybe some place He built to remind Himself of the prison, so he wouldn’t ever forget the lesson. Where He could help people who helped Him, and where no one would ever really know of His existence. Things change. So could He.”

Her hand clutched mine, and something roared through my body. I hadn’t eaten all day and all the alcohol seemed to hit at once. I could barely hear her voice.

“People adapt, boy. It’s who they are. It’s what they do. Gods are the same way. Are you so insecure in your faith that you would deny her hers? Or me mine?”

My voice came from a long ways away. “…no.”

The room whirled.

Something prodded me in the chest. “Up, you.”

I lifted a perfectly clear head. I was on the floor of the tavern, and a mustachioed man was prodding me with his foot. Early morning sunlight streamed in a dusty window. “What? Wait.” I pulled myself to my feet and looked around. No beer glasses. No chairs pulled out. My shoes had been taken off, and my sweater placed beneath my head for a pillow.

“What are you doing in here?” He looked as if he was going to throw me through a window. His mustache curled up the side of his nose, exquisitely waxed and combed. Close up, I could see the wrinkles around his eyes.

“The owner said I could stay here,” I said distantly. I was grasping for last night’s details. I felt like I should have had a hangover. I sat to pull on my shoes.

“I doubt it,” he rumbled. “I’m the owner. There was no one here when I closed up last night, and I locked the door. How’d you get in?” He glared. “I already checked the till. Good thing its all there.”

I caught something out of the corner of my eye. In a niche in the wall across the bar, a fat ceramic sculpture of a frog sat on blue silk. It looked ancient, and very familiar. I pointed slowly. “How long have you had that?”

He turned. “It’s been in the family forev—” He stopped cold. His voice dropped. He turned back to me. “You saw Her?”

I nodded.

“She called you here?”

“I…” I swallowed. “I think so.”

His face filled with light. “Then don’t talk about it, son. To anyone. But you’re always welcome here. I’ll make you some breakfast. And there’s a phone if you need to ring someone up.”

I did.

- The end -

Miles Pilitus

First Post
Round 1 Match 1 (Friday):
Aris Dragonborn vs. Miles Pilitus

Gods, I hate family reunions. It's always the same drunk relatives telling the same old stories, and everybody cherishing and reveling in the one new story everybody has brought out each year. At least the family managed to get the old family house in Virginia. It's an old colonial house near the Roanoke Rapids on the southern border of the state. It's a nice old place, but Uncle Joseph didn't like to offer it out for the family, but one of the few changes this year is his absence, given that we buried him in the ground in December. Alex is managing the property now, I'm not sure he knows what to do with it, but at least he's offered it up as the site of our latest family debacle this year before he finally makes the decision to sell it.

I manage to arrive by noon on Saturday, in spite of the plane dropping me off in North Carolina an hour later then it was supposed to. I get out of my rental truck (which is somehow cheaper than taking a taxi both ways) and take a look at the sky. I agreed to fly all of the way back to the east coast for the kayaking, and if my luck with these family trips held out, the skies where only a half an hour away from opening up. Surprisingly, the only clouds in the sky didn't seem to be threatening rain anytime today. [1]

I knock on the door and get brought into the house by Elizabeth, Alex's wife. We exchange the standard pleasantries as she leads me up to the guestroom that will serve as my personal refuge for the time that I'm here. I drop off my 2 articles of checked luggage and my carry-on bag, then turn around and ask Liz when lunch is. It was sandwiches, she and Alex picked up a good amount of meat from a local deli, so lunches for the first two days was taken care of. After that, the last of the stragglers will arrived, just in time for Alex to break out the wood and try to use the house's open fire pit to cook burgers and steak. I was, of course, going to miss the resulting inferno, as my job required me to fly back to Detroit before Tuesday.

The next few hours pass exactly as I expect them to, talking to family members who I haven't talked to in a year, and who I don't want to talk to, otherwise I would have kept in touch with them. They ask after me, and I give my half-hearted response to their questions, trying to deflect off the inevitable questions about why I haven't settled down yet. I manage to succeed for the first few hours at least, directing family members to their particular quirks, like asking Aunt Sue how her little princess doing, and smile and nod as I pretend to listen to her talking about her show dog for the next thirty minutes. After an hour or so of this, I beg my leave and go talk a long walk through the forest that sits on the property. I take my time walking through the paths of the forest; and, for a while, I actually manage to forget that I'm anywhere and just let my mind wander through the trees. I start walking back towards the house as evening begins to approach.

I enter the house through the kitchen door and walk into the kitchen. The kitchen is bustling with family members trying to do their part to help create the meal. It's probably the one thing worth coming out here for, the family dinners. Everybody puts all of their efforts into it, treating every dinner that the family eats together as Thanksgiving dinner. As I walk in, I get handed a peeler and pointed at a pile of potatoes sitting in a basket on the counter. I'm working on the island in the center of the kitchen, next to Tim and Sue, who must have arrived when I was losing myself in the woods. We exchange a set of honest pleasantries, Tim and I are probably about the only two who actually keep in touch with each other outside of this little reoccurring nightmare and the other holidays that call us together. They're prepping the salad, dicing the ingredients as Edna comes over with the camera and says she wants to get a picture of the happy couple. They smile and raise their knives, and actually manage to keep the smiles as Edna pulls out her horrible "Say Ginsu" line.[2] After the witch has moved on to torment others, including me as I take my turn mugging for the camera, I lean over to Tim and as him if he and his darling wife would like to join me in finding someplace to drink enough to sleep through the rest of the weekend. Unsurprisingly, they both agree that they would love to join me for a little time out on the town tonight. We plan it out as we finish the prep and are given our freedom by the prison-matron of the kitchen. I thank my mother for her endless graciousness as Tim and I walk out to the gazebo after each grabbing the primer for our night.

I manage to suffer through dinner, taking some time to take measure of the few teen and college-age family members who've been given the honor of sitting at the adult’s table. Most disappoint me, barely able to understand some of the concepts that are being discussed at the table and having a skewed view of what few things they do manage to fit into their small minds. But the food is good, and we've managed to avoid delving into the taboo subjects of Politics and Religion, which is probably good as it's too early for the police to make their regular appearance at our family reunion just yet.

When dinner is over, we men-folk are ushered out of the dining room into the family room as the matrons of the family take control over the kitchen once more, it's time to wipe from existence all traces of the dinner and leave only strangely labeled Tupperware as a reminder. It's still light outside, but Alex insists on lighting a fire, and no one else seems to want to disagree with our wonderful host on these matters, so Alex spends the next twenty minutes pulling wood in from outside and poking at the stack of lumber with a candle-lighter. Just as he starts to get the logs light through sheer bloody-mindedness Tim motions to the door where Sue is waiting and we bid the family good-bye to check out what life there is in this area. As we walk out the door to Tim's rental I make mention of an Irish bar I noticed on my drive up here and Tim, New Yorker that he is, thinks it might be amusing to see what Virginia considers a Irish bar. I ask him is wants to try what they consider pizza as we pass a local branch of the soulless corporate pizza chain and he reminds me that we are in Virginia, not Chicago or New York, and that they don't sell pizza here. All three of us laugh, letting the tensions of dealing with family loosen as we prepare to get utterly smashed.

My eyes hurt. My tongue has been replaced with cotton and I feel like I had a midget dancing on my head. Midget? What made me think of a midget? Brief snippets of last night float back into my memory. The leprechaun. The bar employed a leprechaun. I think I remember something about a leprechaun who poured drinks.[3] I think I remember Tim making a comment that it was a bit more tasteless then any Irish bar you'd find in NYC, but it certainly had that "quirky local flavor" that we used to try and find back when we shared a room in college.

*Ahem*

S:):):). I look up, shielding my eyes from the bright sunlight streaming into the curtains that have been thrown open by the person who standing over my bed, guilt trip already beginning to roll off of her tongue. I nod through my mother's speech and promise that I will participate in family activities today. I roll out of bed and prepare myself for the day. As I walk into the dining room, Liz has just finished setting up the lunchmeat and I get into the line to make a sandwich. Over the sandwiches, plans are made for the day. It seems that enough relatives have arrived between today and yesterday to actually merit some activities other them re-transmittance of our wonderful family narratives. Alex is saying it would be a shame to not use the near-by water to have some fun with, and I back him up on this concept, which gets more then a few strange looks from those with a more acute understanding of the family politics, perhaps not the least from Alex himself before he realizes that he's actually stumbled upon an idea the whole family agrees with. Stopped clocks as they say. Before I can suggest a quick run into town to rent some vehicles for water-sports, Alex says that Uncle Joseph's old family canoe is still in the tool shed behind the house and it has room for everybody who wants to go.

All of use strong and burly girly-men lug the canoe to the water, with Sue and Liz grabbing some paddles. We reach the water and walk the canoe into the water. As soon as the water's deep enough, we drop the canoe and start to pile in. After a quick game of Twister as everyone figures out where they want to sit and if they want to paddle, we're seated and start paddling. I'm sitting in the back of the canoe with an old wooden paddle and I'm trying to keep us going in a straight line as we paddle.

Then I begin to notice my ankles are getting wet. I feel the water creeping up my legs and ask Alex if he's examined to canoe or taken it out on the water before this particular acid test. He asks me why and as I inform him that my end of the canoe has just hit the bottom of the shallow that we are currently in, I think the boat may be suffering from a slight leak. Abandon ship comes the cry as everybody tries to leave the ship all at once, dumping Liz into the water.[4] We water-soaked rats stumble our way back to shore and I suggest we go into town to see if we can't rent some kayaks. The idea is not considered unwise and we manage to bring back half dozen kayaks in the back of my rental truck along with some life vests for those who didn't think to pack one in their bags. Liz agrees to drop us off a few miles upriver with my truck for this first run and we spend the rest of the day ferrying people to the launch point with the kayaks and letting the kayaks drift back down river and be handed to the next family member in line. I manage to get a few trips in before dusk arrives upon us and we store the kayaks and head into the house to dry off.

The day of pure exertion seems to have loosened something up. There's not the tension that was there, the waiting for the other shoe to drop and for someone to start the exchange of ideas that will lead to the exchange of blows. The rest of the night passes without too much hassle, although the conversation is still tedious. Jason's offers up a new plan for tonight instead of sitting in a stuffy living room, to make a nice big bonfire and sit by the fire and talk till the fire has spent it's anger against the wood that is fed to it. I've always had respect for the other writers in the family and their ability to turn a phrase, and when combined with the idea, it made the perfect pitch to me for how to spend the rest of the night. We build a long, slow fire that doesn't die until three in the morning and sit outside and drink beer. I don't talk much, but the primal need for man to stare into the heart of the flame allows me to go without special comment. I'm one of the last to crawl into bed, having arranged have Jason drive me back to the airport tomorrow morning so he can take over the rental of my truck.

Another family reunion survived. We should have realized long ago, that if you don't introduce fire and water into these gatherings, then the empty space would simply be taken up with hot air.

[1] http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27620
[2]http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27622
[3]http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27621
[4]http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27623

BSF

Explorer
Round 1, Match 4 - Piratecat vs BSF
Untitled

“A were-frog?”

“Were-toad, I made you one of us last night when I bit you in the middle of our love-making.”

“Oh, bloody hell Lucinda!” I craned my neck to look at my shoulder where she had bit me last night. “You barely drew blood and now you are trying tell me that like some sort of witch you are turning me into a frog?” I looked into her brownish-green eyes to make sure the poor girl wasn't too unbalanced. That is just what I needed, to have bedded another loony.

“Do not call me a witch! I do not curse you with spells and devour your soul. I bit you while we shared our passion. Now you are one of us. Soon the rains will come and I will see if our union has produced any young. Then next year you will return to us. You and I might mate again.”

Lucinda's voice carried too much excitement and conviction for me to be comfortable. I decided that I had better play along until I could summon a taxi to take me from here. Far from here. I began gathering my clothes so I could sneak back to my room before her father woke.

“Sure I will return, but it is difficult to say when. Sometimes my father needs me and I can't take holiday whenever I want.” She would appreciate my declared familial obligations, even it if was a little white lie. Ok, a big lie. I was the rake of the family and I pretty much do take holiday anytime I wanted.

She sat up in bed, watching me with a coy smile on her face. “Oh you will be back Hugh. Probably not this year because the rains come soon and the change will not be complete. But by next year you will return.”

I returned her smile as I slunk out the door. By breakfast I was packed and had placed a call for a taxi to the local airport. I sat there taking my morning tea and eating sausage and eggs while Lucinda giggled on the other side of the room while talking with her mother and sister. Suddenly Na-na, her mother, stood and waddled across the small breakfast room. She placed both hands on my cheeks and looked directly into my eyes. Then a smile crept across her face and she cried out, “Welcome! Welcome to the family. I see it too, you are one of us now!”

It was discomfiting, I tell you. I am a philanderer. You might call it my hobby. I have had to make a rapid departure many times in my life. Usually I am being chased and things are being thrown with words like debauched and womanizer used to describe me. But never have I been welcomed into the family as if I had just proposed . Lucinda's father, Milos, walked in from the kitchen.

“Did you call for a taxi?”

Milos was kind enough to load my luggage into the waiting taxi as I settled my bill for the previous week. It was a beautiful bed and breakfast and I paused to look out across the lake one last time before I left. Suddenly Milos pulled my shirt back off my shoulder and peered and the hickey Lucinda had left the night before. I shook free and raised my fists in case he intended to box me. Instead he smiled and embraced me in a hug. Then he opened the door of the taxi for me. Before the taxi pulled away he leaned over and spoke through the window.

“Do yourself a favor, don't fight the pull when you feel it. It will only make things worse. Embrace it and accept that you are one of us now.”

I couldn't help but feel a certain sense of relief as I boarded the plane for London later that evening. Lucinda's entire family seemed to be infected with her delusions and I was happy to put them behind me, forever.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Imagine my dismay fourteen months later as I found myself booking a flight and taxi back to that little Spanish town. I had been sick for days, nauseous and shaking, and none of the doctors could explain why. All I could dream about were the cool waters of the lake where I first met Lucinda. Milos' words haunted me. As daft as it sounds, I had to know if they were right. Against my better judgment, I packed for a trip.

I didn't even make it to the bed and breakfast. The taxi rounded the curve in the mountains and I could see the lake spread out before me. I ordered the driver to stop. Staggering out the door and pushing a wad of bills into his hand I asked him to continue with my baggage. I could see storm clouds in the distance and I stumbled down toward the lake and began hiking along the shore, toward Lucinda's house.

I don't know how long it took me, I remember looking down at my hands in the mud and trying to puzzle out why my hands were dirty. Then I looked up and there was Lucinda's family coming toward me. They were walking on their hands and feet. Na-na was first, with her red blouse and crazy grin. Milos was a bit further back, watching his daughters. Lucinda and Francisca both wore the traditional head scarves marking them as unmarried. (picture 1_4_2.jpg)

Na-na sat down next to me in the mud. “It is good to see you once again,” she said simply as I shuddered.

“I warned you not to fight the pull my young friend. Why did you wait so long?” Milos looked genuinely concerned.

Lucinda simply sat down and began to sing a strange, throaty tune as the rain advanced across the lake. I could scarcely believe my eyes when she seemed to shrink and change as the first rain drops hit her. But then the rain touched me and I finally understood.

I sat there in the mud with Lucinda's family for the rest of the month. We would sing beautiful ballads in our croaky voices and chase each other through the mud and water of the lake. I try not to think of what we ate during that time. Suffice to say that it didn't seem disgusting at the time.

I sat with Milos overlooking the lake that September, coming to grips with who I was now and what it all meant. “You mean I must return here every year or I will die?”

Milos lit a cigar. “Oh yes, you are one of us now and your fate is tied to the lake's fate.”

“Wait, what? My fate, our fate, is tied to the lake? So what happens if the lake dries up or somesuch as that?” A memory was nagging the back of my mind. Something I had read in the paper before I left London.

Milos pondered for a moment. “Our kind was born here and can only live here. There are other clans around the lake who I will introduce you to soon. But I suppose if something happened to the lake, we would all die.”

It took nearly a week to track down that dim memory. But then I had it and it worried me. It was a big story about an English company that was developing a nearby town. They had won permission to divert a river to create a nicer resort town. The same river that filled the lake here. I moped for a few weeks without telling Lucinda's family.

By that time, I had fumbled across a possible idea. The company had been founded by the Anselm family. They weren't an old British family as mine was, but they had been ascending through social circles for some time. Like all respectable families, they too had their own share of ne'er do wells. This generation's was a girl named Gemma. Even better, she had a token seat on the board of directors, and she was unmarried.

I am a ladies man, surely I could persuade her to change the direction of the board somehow.

A week later I was in London learning all I could about Gemma Anselm. While my hobbies included carousing and womanizing, she was interested in the occult. In fact, her family had purchased, or inherited, nobody was quite sure, a castle in Germany. Lady Gemma spent quite a bit of time there.

It took two more weeks for me to finagle an invitation to a stuffy luncheon that I knew she would be at as well. We hit it off famously! There was only one real problem but of course that problem had a solution.

Lady Gemma was a virgin and she wasn't prepared to break her chastity for anything short of marriage. Mind you, when a free spirit such as myself hears the word marriage, it causes a certain shrinkage in the, soul. However, the prospect of an early death does warrant the reconsideration of certain freedoms. Nonetheless, I made every effort to give Gemma the same gift that Lucinda had given me, without the necessity of marriage.

As I said though, there was also a solution. Gemma had an older brother and an older sister, both whom sat on the board of director's for their late father's company. All three were unmarried, but it was their father's directive that the first married child would be given the directorship of the company. Gemma confided in me one night that she had used magic to keep her brother and her sister from marrying. She was biding her time to find the right gentleman to marry so she could ascend to the head of the company. Her chastity was what powered her spells so that her siblings would not beat her to the altar.

I was dubious, though I cannot explain why. After all, I was cursed as a were-toad, why dismiss the idea that Gemma was casting spells powered by her chastity? Instead, I resolved myself, bought an engagement diamond and proposed to her the next week. What can I say? It took me a while to gather my resolve.

To my great disappointment, Gemma insisted that we journey to her family's castle for our honeymoon. I had hoped for someplace a bit more romantic, and warm. But she insisted that the framework of her spells was erected in the castle. Once she removed the spells, her siblings would be free to act as they wished, and she would be free to break her chastity.

It was late January for the wedding. We exchanged vows outside a church and then clambered into the maw of a bulldozer to symbolize the ascension of Gemma to the director's chair of her father's company. (picture 1_4_4.jpg). As we rode down the street, Gemma leaned over towards me. “I will be sending this bulldozer to Spain next week for a big project we are beginning.” I quickly turned toward her to protest, but then I looked into her laughing eyes. Instead, I kept my protests to myself. Let he have her wedding day. After the honeymoon, after she was one of us, she would rethink her decision. And since she was now the director, her decision would stand.

As the automobile ascended the mountain toward the castle I reflected that it was quite a gothic affair. (picture 1_4_3.jpg) Very angular and foreboding, and the seeming vortex of clouds about the castle did little to make me feel better.

“It is Imbolc evening my darling Hugh, carry me across the threshold and then I will lead you upstairs to your reward.” Gemma's words were sweet like honey and I happily acquiesced, thoughts of conjugal bliss in the forefront of my mind.

Inside, the castle was dark with few lights. Gemma lead me up the stairs by the hand. I could feel her grip tightening in anticipation of what was to come. I almost felt bad for what I had planned. I would bind her to the lake as tightly as I was bound. Once she realized the danger of diverting the river, she would change her plans and I would be safe.

She guided me into her bed chamber, lit by hundreds of flickering candles. They must have been lit by servants as we arrived, I supposed. “Sit her.” With a gesture she directed me to a pedestal. The room was opulent and decadent, in a creepy sort of way. I could see a cauldron in one corner. Shelves with books and jars. A mortar and pestle. An immense four poster bed sprawled before me and Gemma stood before it, looking radiant. I was entranced.

Perhaps that is why I didn't notice her chanting as she slowly undid her dress? As her wedding dress fell to the floor, I gasped lightly in surprise. What she wore beneath her wedding clothes is not what I had expected to see my virgin bride in. It was at that time that I noticed my clothes had also fallen to the floor. Something had abruptly changed and I had missed it! My vision had changed slightly, my perspective had dropped so I felt shorter. I was completely atop the pedestal. I was also in my toad form. I opened my mouth to cry out, and Gemma completed the last syllable. I was transfixed like that, a toad atop a pedestal with my mouth in an O shape. (picture 1_4_1.jpg)

Gemma strode across the room and pulled an old black cloak off a wall hook. She threw it around her shoulders, looking the picture of the perfect witch.

“You know Hugh, I knew who you were and where you had been from the first moment I saw you. My great, great, grandmother was betrayed by her toad, did you know that? Did they tell you how they came to be at that little Spanish lake? They have a little magic all their own don't they? But they need to bring in men from the outside to spawn the next generation.”

Gemma walked over to the cauldron, a fire lighting as she approached. She stirred the contents a few times, ladled the contents into a small bowl and picked up a horsehair paint brush.

“But my family couldn't easily exact our revenge upon them. We were blocked by protective magics stolen from us! But then you came to me. There is a poetic symmetry here. I am sure you planned to betray me as well. Perhaps you thought to convince me that I shouldn't destroy that lake? You feel the pull of the magic there don't you Hugh? No matter though. I won;t divert the river, not now. Your essence permeates that bulldozer. I doubt you ever felt the magic. But now the bulldozer will crush their homes and the pathetic little toads as well. Then I recover the magic hearthstone they stole from this castle.”

Dipping the brush into the bowl, Gemma began to brush some strange liquid onto my back. Somehow, I knew she was binding me into this shape permanently. I could feel the magic seeping into my pores.

“One last question Hugh. You swore to honor, serve and protect me didn't you? Do you know what a familiar is?”

BSF

Explorer
I have the durned thing posted! It was quite a struggle to deal with the Muses this time.

I wandered through the ball aimlessly, listening to the music and looking for any of the muses. Finally, I spot a familiar figure up on a balcony overlooking some room. Stopping, I call up.

"Hello Muse? I aplogize for interrupting, but might I have a bit of inspiration please?"

A faint glow of a smile as she looks over the banister at me. "Oh look, 'tis somebody else looking for inspiration." One of her sisters peers down at me a moment later.

"Indeed, he looks a bit desperate doesn't he?"
"Oh my, perhaps it is gastrointestinal distress though?" The Muses look at each other and laugh before the first one calls out once again.

"Oh dear, is it really important? You see, we are working with a small group of writers right now. There is this contest and it amuses us to no end to watch them squirm."

I bite my lip momentarily. "This contest, it wouldn't have to do with trying to string a group of dastardly pictures together into a coherent whole would it?"

She smiles once again. "Indeed it does! You have heard of this pasttime?"

"Yes, yes I have! Umm, I am one of the writers."

They both peer down, scrutinizing me. "He does look vaguely familiar. Wasn't there that one that used to participate and was trying to curry our favor once again?"

An arched eyebrow is aimed at me. "Yes, there was that one. He disappears for a while, changes things around and then just shows up again one day. Do you think this is he?"

"Well, the avatar looks similar does it not? But then, avatars are easily changed."

I wave, trying not to look panicked. "Yes, my avatar was done by Sialia. She did a few actually and I cycle through them at different times."

"Sialia? Yes, we know her. We like her. She honors us in all manner of ways. What are you doing with some of her art?"

I am abashed. "Well, she was nice and made the avatars that I use. Very generous she is!"

The first muse snaps her fingers. "Ah yes, he shortened his name! That is why he looks familiar."

"Shortened his name? Whatever for?"

This is clearly not going the way I was hoping. "Well, it was a rather long name and most people shortened it anyway. I just thought I would save folks the mouthful of syllables.

"You truncate your name to a mere three letters and then have the audacity to ask for inspiration? You intentionally make your name less clever, after neglecting us for quite some time I might add, and you think you are deserving of our gifts?" There is a small harumph from the balcony.

"Well, it's not entirely for me. You see, if I have no inspiration then I can't post a story. And that is bad for the entire contest. Besides, you gave that three legged, one eyed feline inspiration. Is it so much to ask for a little myself? Please? Anything, just give me something to work with, please."

"Well, he does have a point I suppose. We should give him something. It needn't be much though. Just enough to keep the contest moving along and amuse us."

"Yes, you are right, but still he bothers me somewhat. Still, what we sacrifice for art yes?" she looks down at me and picks up a napkin with a danish on it. The danish looks tasty! Even from this distance I can tell it is laced with inspiration. "We might bless you with inspiration. You understand all the caveats? All we can do is provide, it is up to you to make something of the inspiration. As well, I must insist that you post! After all, you are the one making the case that it will help the entire contest."

I nod eagerly. "Of course! I understand, it is my responsibility. And I wouldn't think of not posting!"

"Very well then." She picks up the danish, looks down at me, then pops the danish in her mouth and shakes three crumbs off the napkin down, down, down to the floor. Both muses look down at me, then turn abruptly away, back to the Ceramic gladitorial floor.

Down below, I scramble to pick up the crumbs as fast as I can. Slowly, the door begins to open, waiting for me to enter the arena against Piratecat.

yangnome

First Post
OK, looks like we have all the stories from those who started Friday. Thanks guys for getting those done and turned in. I've yet to read any of them except for the Gabriel vs Berandor match, but will get to them soon. I'd like to echo PC's thanks to Aris Dragonborn for turning in what you'd worked on. It is much better to see a partial story than a post saying you weren't able to write, or worse yet, nothing at all.

I'll be posting the next matches soon.

Berandor

lunatic
Last edited:

Remove ads