Character portraits

Ferret

Explorer
Riveneye said:

Hmmm, this is going to be hard without putting another colour image here for comparison, but I don't want to do that, since it might insult the artist who did it. What I mean is that a lot of the other colour images don't focus very much on detail. They're just a rough outline, with some colour to fill in. They're almost cartoon-ish in nature. With Romus's images, you can see a vast amount of detail, and the shading he (she? sorry if you're a she ;)) uses is quite incredible.

There you go again saying quite, it means the same as: to a certain extent, or fairly. I was merely trying to point out it was to good to be quite okish.

Conaill

First Post
Ferret said:
There you go again saying quite, it means the same as: to a certain extent, or fairly. I was merely trying to point out it was to good to be quite okish.
Ferret, this seems to be a difference in usage of the word "quite" between (parts of?) the UK and the US. Through the Hyper Dictionary, here's the Webster's definition of the word:
1. Completely; wholly; entirely; totally; perfectly; as, the work is not quite done; the object is quite accomplished; to be quite mistaken.

Man shall not quite be lost, but saved who will.
--Milton.

The same actions may be aimed at different ends, and arise from quite contrary principles.
--Spectator.

2. To a great extent or degree; very; very much; considerably. ``Quite amusing.'' --Macaulay.

He really looks quite concerned.
--Landor.

The island stretches along the land and is quite close to it.
--Jowett (Thucyd. ).
In contrast, I've noticed that a few of the British dictionaries have "to a degree [syn: {rather}]" as first definition. Which is almost entirely the opposite meaning!

Last edited:

Riveneye

First Post
I don't know if there is a difference in the US and UK definitions of the word, but if it is so, I imagine that I would be using the UK version (being Australian, it seems likely that our definition would be similar to the UK's, rather than the US's).

The dictionary I have on my desk (The Australian Oxford Dictionary), gives the following definition -

quite adv. completely, entirely, absolutely; rather, to some extent; (often + so) said to indicate agreement.quite a few a fairly large number (of). quite something remarkable thing or person.

Remove ads