• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond - Xanathar's is Up!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've got a couple of comments:

I'm a little disappointed that in the traps, the DC for, say, Pit Traps (and a few others) to spot and avoid it is Perception dc10. AND it says (in another section) that you can use Passive Perception. SO... every commoner will always spot every pit-trap. RAW. That's just silly.

(To make matters worse, I remember the UA that had the same thing. And people noticed. And presumably left feedback. So... do they actually read the feedback? I'm starting to wonder.)

And...

What happend to the DDBeyond "Pre-Order-Bonuses" we were supposed to get? Where do you find them?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Look in the homebrew feats section for the pre-order feats. For the other things, click on your character's name in View Character mode and check out the Change Frame and Change Backdrop options.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I think I just broke the game. A ghostwise halfling inquisitive with the Observant, Keen Mind and Resilient (Constitution) feats ends up with 20 Dex (+11 save), 14 Con (+8 save), 16 Int (+9 save), 16 Wis (+9 save), and a passive Investigation and Perception of 35, and a minimum Insight roll of 25 doing 15d6+5 damage per turn (2 x shortswords) (no magical items). She's a City Watch Investigator so there's nowhere a criminal can hide where she won't find them :D

Bigsta

Explorer
I've got a couple of comments:

I'm a little disappointed that in the traps, the DC for, say, Pit Traps (and a few others) to spot and avoid it is Perception dc10. AND it says (in another section) that you can use Passive Perception. SO... every commoner will always spot every pit-trap. RAW. That's just silly.

(To make matters worse, I remember the UA that had the same thing. And people noticed. And presumably left feedback. So... do they actually read the feedback? I'm starting to wonder.)

Passive perception in dim light is at -5. A 1st level rogue relying on darkvision when searching for traps in a dark dungeon with a passive perception of less than 15 is gonna have a bad time.

Satyrn

First Post
That's interesting, just given names? What sorts we talking here?

There are 50 male and 50 female names for each culture given. The English list I'd say is heavily Victorian (though I really just mean not-quite-modern. I have no idea how modern most of the other lists, other than the Roman list - and that one should get some use out of me.

But I really wish they'd used more pages to add in surnames.

I think it would have been made excellent with that and if the non-English and nonhuman names included a translation for those that aren't simply John or Mary.

Mike Tyson

Villager
Re: names, I use an alternative method for generating names. I take a particular aspect of the character, then I enter that English term into Google translate, and pick a language that might go with the aspect.

For instance, I gen'd up a tiefling warlock with antelope horns. I plugged horns into Google translate and picked Zulu and got Izimpondo, the first name of my tiefling. (I picked Hausa first, but I didn't like the word.) For a last name, I typed in celebration and picked Basque and got her last name: Ospakizun. Thus, Izi Ospakizun!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So... you're saying it needs to be dark to ever fall in a pit trap? ;)

BTW I've always been a little let-down by how tools work in 5e. The chapter in XGE on it does A LOT to address my problems with it. I really like that bit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are 50 male and 50 female names for each culture given. The English list I'd say is heavily Victorian (though I really just mean not-quite-modern. I have no idea how modern most of the other lists, other than the Roman list - and that one should get some use out of me.

But I really wish they'd used more pages to add in surnames.

I think it would have been made excellent with that and if the non-English and nonhuman names included a translation for those that aren't simply John or Mary.
Heck, even John and Mary have translations and meanings: that would be particularly nice for the Non-Human names, older Edition products with such resources gave that sort of information.

Satyrn

First Post
Heck, even John and Mary have translations and meanings: that would be particularly nice for the Non-Human names, older Edition products with such resources gave that sort of information.

Agreed.

Still, it is probably gonna be my resource of choice for picking character names from now on. I'd already taken to naming them just from the short lists in the PH race entries, so of course more is better.

Remove ads