• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D Red Box: Who Is The Warrior?

A WizKids miniature reveals the iconic character's face for the first time.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.27.52.png

The Dungeons & Dragons Red Box, famously illustrated by Larry Elmore in 1983, featured cover art of a warrior fighting a red dragon. The piece is an iconic part of D&D's history.

WizKids is creating a 50th Anniversary D&D miniatures set for the D&D Icons of the Realms line which includes models based on classic art from the game, such as the AD&D Player's Handbook's famous 'A Paladin In Hell' piece by David Sutherland in 1978, along with various monsters and other iconic images. The set will be available in July 2024.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 22.31.00.png

paladininhell.jpg

Amongst the collection is Elmore's dragon-fighting warrior. This character has only ever been seen from behind, and has never been named or identified. However, WizKids’ miniature gives us our first look at them from the front. The warrior is a woman; the view from behind is identical to the original art, while the view from the front--the first time the character's face has ever been seen--is, as WizKids told ComicBook.com, "purposefully and clearly" a woman. This will be one of 10 secret rare miniatures included in the D&D Icons of the Realms: 50th Anniversary booster boxes.

redboxwarriormini.png

s-l1600.jpg

The original artist, Larry Elmore, says otherwise. (Update—the linked post has since been edited).

It's a man!

Gary didn't know what he wanted, all he wanted was something simple that would jump out at you. He wanted a male warrior. If it was a woman, you would know it for I'm pretty famous for painting women.

There was never a question in all these years about the male warrior.

No one thought it was a female warrior. "Whoever thought it was a female warrior is quite crazy and do not know what they are talking about."

This is stupid. I painted it, I should know.
- Larry Elmore​

Whether or not Elmore's intent was for the character to be a man, it seems that officially she's a woman. Either way, it's an awesome miniature. And for those who love the art, you can buy a print from Larry Elmore's official website.

When you've been at the top of the heap for a long time, being treated more like an equal feels like oppression, but isn't.

I don't think anyone is being oppressed by this image. To me it is a bit silly if people are acting like it has been a woman all along, or there was mystery about it, but that is the extent of my complaint. A gender swapped character isn't oppression. That said, this phrase is one I think can lead to very bad outcomes for a society. If any group feels oppressed, people ought to take heed. I don't think anyone is being oppressed by female D&D art, it would be stupid to make that claim. But to say that equality ought to feel like oppression? Just no. I think too often that argument is going to be used to dismiss legitimate critiques. People may say they feel oppressed when they aren't, and that should be pushed back against. But the increase in equality should not feel like oppression to anyone. If it does, then something has gone off the rails.

Reef

Hero
While I'm sure most people assumed they were male at the time (and why wouldn't we...it was the main character!), @Morrus is right, in that it's always been ambiguous. At least in hindsight, where we recognize that not all women action heroes need to look like pin up models.

The proof of this ambiguity is right there in the miniature itself. From the back, it looks identical to the painting. Only from the front (the side not shown in the painting) do you realize they are female.

At least one poster in this thread has said they read it as female, and were glad for it back in the day. Myself, I remember having conversations with other art nerds back in the 90's about how cool it was that you could read it either way. How clever Elmore and/or TSR was for leaving it so that their potential players could project themselves into the image, no matter their gender. In retrospect, it turns out it wasn't clever, it was just coincidence. But one of the best parts of 'death of the author' means that sometimes creators do unintentionally awesome things.

I just don't get the uproar over it. As a CIS male, I can't fathom the outrage. As someone who does rpg illustration, I can't see how this is anyway insulting to the artist.

dbolack

Adventurer
I also can't prove the intent of Wizkids, but I feel pretty confident that they did this to generate buzz and they were very successful. I don't get why folks keep saying this is cynical. Maybe there were other characters and artwork to introduce a bulked up female warrior for the 50th anniversary, but the Red Box cover is one of the most well known pieces of D&D art and was one where the character was only shown from the back. What other piece of art could they have used to as successfully subvert expectations and create as much buzz with?
I think it is just as likely that the art was snagged by a youngin who didn't know the piece as a suggestion for a female figure when they were collecting pics they thought were suitable for this line as it is they did it for the clicks.

That is, unlikely, but not impossible. We can't know unless they tell us and a non-zero percentage won't believe them anyway.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But to say that equality ought to feel like oppression? Just no. I think too often that argument is going to be used to dismiss legitimate critiques. People may say they feel oppressed when they aren't, and that should be pushed back against. But the increase in equality should not feel like oppression to anyone. If it does, then something has gone off the rails.
Literally nobody is saying equality ought to feel like oppression. Rather that’s how some privileged folk act like they feel. All you have to do is check out the daily news and you’ll see evidence of it. You have pretty much bury your head in the sand to NOT see it.
And to people who value privilege, it stands to reason, after all it’s no longer privilege if EVERYBODY has it.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Time (and sales) will tell if the gender change matters to enough people.
But how many people play with miniatures anymore? Seems like a shrinking market.

Dunno. I’m old and already have so many general-use minis that I won’t consider buying randomized minis packs. But I would buy several of these 50th anniversary chase miniatures, if they are available individually at non-astronomical prices.

I’m particularly interested in buying this one, because it looks like a good mini that would fill unique niche in my mini options.

Can anyone advise: Where are good places to buy single after-market minis these days? eBay mostly? Thanks!

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
Dunno. I’m old and already have so many general-use minis that I won’t consider buying randomized minis packs. But I would buy several of these 50th anniversary chase miniatures, if they are available individually at non-astronomical prices.

I’m particularly interested in buying this one, because I think it is both clever and a potentially useful addition to my collection.

Can anyone advise: Where are good places to buy single after-market minis these days? eBay mostly? Thanks!
eBay is where I go for the single minis, but you can bet the first one that gets put on eBay will be $50 or up. Elminster (the mini has been around a while) is around $50. Mordenkainen: $85. I'll wait a year or so and if I'm still interested in buying it I'll look around then.

Noble Knight Games also sells singles at their website, though some of their stuff is pricey. They have stuff on eBay too.

Remove ads

Remove ads