• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

death giant PC

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
any clue on things like LA and such? MM3 pg 54, specifically attribute scores.
Are you sure you want to use LA, the system is rather flawed especially as PCs get farther from the standard races mechanically? If this is an all giant campaign you can adjust power levels by adding class levels until others are brought up to his level. Cause if you're willing to include Giant PCs you're already at the higher end of the power-curve and playing a different sort of game.

gwyllgi

First Post
my main concern is the fact the death giant is presented as a 5th level fighter and i have no clue how to get his base stats.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Are you sure? My copy of MM3 has a straight 23HD giant with no fighter levels and none of the extra feats a fighter would get. Wouldn't be the first time something changed between printings.

Base Stats are 34/13/21/12/20/25

gwyllgi

First Post
thanks i was reading into it too much with the favored class thing. know anyway i could reduce those stats so as to be able to roll my own? (EX. +15 str +6 dex +4 con -2 int)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
When trying to convert from a MM entry that doesn't call it out assume any even number stat was derived from a 10 and any odd stat was derived from a base 11.

In this case it works out to +24/+2/+10/+2/+10/+14

EDIT: Just for future reference out of all creatures giants have the greatest strength modifier for their size and HD you'll see anywhere, even higher than most equivalent dragons. Dragons have the most outrageous stats overall on average but they spread it out more so it takes much longer to get such huge primary stats.

Last edited:

Jacob

Explorer
Given the 3.5 Death Giant has a place in my heart, you had me open my MM3 instantly so I could see what's what. Also, check out the Monsters as Races index for proper PC application. :cool:

Off the bat, the Death Giant really isn't PC friendly, given it has only one life...lest its companions are incredibly smart and fast should it die. And given that it would be in an Epic adventure (because of established HD and probable LA), it's going to be often. And speaking on its companions, they aren't really going to appreciate Frightful Keening, it's most powerful ability (other than Guardian Souls), or the chance of losing their soul when close to death while standing near one (or losing it period if slain). It's hard to be a team player with a Death Giant.

Outside of that, the powerful benefits of being a Death Giant are there, and just the Guardian Souls ability is enough to make your mouth water. But again, you would instantly be playing in an Epic adventure at the start, lest the DM with willing to work some magic. If it is indeed an Epic adventure, the necessity of LA is questionable, given PCs 23rd level and up can become fairly unbalanced. With Death Giant abilities having the potential to be that way as well, it's really DM call on this. Myself, I'd give very little LA if at all, but till I actually play through an Epic game...*shrug*

Drowbane

First Post
I don't have my MM III handy, but try this...

Reduce stats by the Elite Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8? its something like that) to find new racial bonuses (this will not match up WotC's way of doing it, but it should come up with something more PC friendly... while still being a Giant). Reduce HD to CR+1 or +2 in case of a lot of spiffy SLAs (that is its new "ECL".

Remove ads