Death in Freeport

Shayuri

First Post
"Maybe it was the only weapon he had," Arcata points out. "He said he was being watched, and he wanted to be careful. I suppose he didn't have to specify it to himself, but a lot of scholars write that way..."
She looks at the list again.

"So, this is the last entry...the list says update diary after talking to this pirate...but the diary doesn't mention him talking with Scarbelly."

Arcata looks back up.

"Something tells me he didn't get to the turnips either."

Voadam

Legend
Brother Egil looks worried by Arcata's suggestion and rubs the knot on the back of his head where he was sapped "I hope he didn't have a bad run in with pirates on the docks. I need to head back to the Athenaeum for my evening duties soon. Could we meet again here tomorrow evening? Remember I'm under orders not to look into this personally, but as long as they don't think to forbid me to ask friends to search for Lucius then I can keep my oath. I can perform healing magics if you ever need so don't hesitate if you need me for that, but just remember to be discreet about the search if you come to the Athenaeum."

doghead

thotd
ic - DiF

"Perhaps we should meet somewhere else. If Brother Egil is spotted coming and going from here, he may have some explaining to do.

"Meanwhile, the rest of us need to decide what we are going to do next. The pirate, Scarbelly, seems to be the best lead. The question is how best to approach him. Do we do so directly, or should we spend a little time learning what we can before hand?"

Erekose13

Explorer
"Ne'er been too keen on the learnin' part of action. Though I guess we's don't even know who Scarbelly is yet. That question mights need answerin first of all." replies Dog, indicating in a round about way that research might be a good idea.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Later Brother." says Dogrynn before his friend Egil heads out. then to the others, "Ok, I got some contacts amongst the scum of Freeport. We can go have a little chat with a couple of them and see what we can dig up on Scarbelly."

Voadam

Legend
Dogrynn's contacts turn out to be a bunch of barkeeps and sailors most down at the docks.

One, Raefel Dourman, banned the sibbecai from his bar, the Fried Pufferfish, the last time he was there for brawling while drunk and drawing his blade while doing so. Raefel is quite knowledgeable about ships in port, various captains, who is hiring, and various naval goings on.

Another, Gortak Smige, is a gray orc bartender whose bar the Leaky Scow, caters to an orcish crowd of longshoremen and sailors. Last time Dogrynn supped there he left with two busted ribs. Dogrynn has never been able to get good job leads there or much skuttlebut, but there is often a good brawl.

The inn the Salty Hammock is a cheap stay for sailors who have blown through most of their savings on shore leave. Smigel Urth, a "transaction merchant" who buys exotic goods with few questions asked often frequents the inn hoping to make deals with sailors for small trinkets they secretly bring ashore. Many of these sailors are said to be pirates.

He knows a few down and out sailors as well who might be found at various spots, One eyed Pete, Smiling Tom, Laurie Tunth.

None of these are Dogrynn's friends, Rikki and Brother Egil are the pair on that short list.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Well there is the Gortak Smige, good place to knock a few orc heads in. Oh wait we want information eh, hmm maybe not. The Fried Pufferfish, er, no got banned from that one too, good information there though. Could always go to the Salty Hammock ya know, got lots of sailors and plenty of wanna-be pirates." says Dogrynn, the fact that he is a wanna-be pirate escapes him though.

doghead

thotd
ic - DiF

"Perhaps we should split up. Half a dozen of us may be too much. Two or three people may draw less attention.

"Maybe the Library holds something of interest about Uraq. I can go there and look."

Remove ads