Diplomatic Immunity OOC: The Next Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
Well creativity is subjective. I usually get a lot of stock standard dungeon crawls, very little political intrigue, puzzle solving, or anything like that. It's also what I usually end up running as that's what the players prefer.

That brings back memories of way back in the 1E AD&D days, where my character was killed twice by his own brother needlessly. Once fireballed when he was about to cut down a frost giant, and another when he was lightning bolted and left to the monsters.

Well I probably wouldn't go for something planar to start with. ;)

Hmm, Dark Nemesis is on.
I do very few stock dungeon crawls. My dungeons tend to be relatively short and nonstandard. I've had only a few big ones in my day, and one of my favourites is from the Post-Arthurian campaign because it is more a mystery than a dungeon. Plenty of rooms with mystic runes to decipher on the walls and a confusing layout, but only one enemy :D

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Of those, the save progression is the most problematic. If you use your progression, you're going to get to the points where, all stats being equal, good saves are so much better than poor saves that any save DC that even has a chance to fail on the good saves will be instakill on the poor saves.

Well it only goes out by about 3 per 20 levels, so unless you want to go way out towards 100th level it's not that much of a problem once you add in magic items and feats. Of course CR then becomes the ultimate problem as some creatures have a save no-one can make without an auto success.

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
Well it only goes out by about 3 per 20 levels, so unless you want to go way out towards 100th level it's not that much of a problem once you add in magic items and feats. Of course CR then becomes the ultimate problem as some creatures have a save no-one can make without an auto success.
Level 20: Disparity = 6. (So a DC that forces a good save to save on a 5 or higher forces a bad save to save on 11 or higher)

Level 40: Disparity = 9. (So a DC that forces a good save to save on 5 or higher forces a bad save to save on 14 or higher)

Level 60: Disparity = 12. (So a DC that forces a good save to save on 5 or higher forces a bad save to save on 17 or higher)

Level 80: Disparity = 16. (So a DC that forces a good save to save on 4 or higher forces a bad save to save only on a 20)

This gets much worse if you take a PrC or two that have the same good and bad saves as your main class (e.g. A Wizard/Incantatrix/Archmage)

Magic items don't help the disparity because they raise all the saves together.

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I do very few stock dungeon crawls. My dungeons tend to be relatively short and nonstandard. I've had only a few big ones in my day, and one of my favourites is from the Post-Arthurian campaign because it is more a mystery than a dungeon. Plenty of rooms with mystic runes to decipher on the walls and a confusing layout, but only one enemy :D

Well they're not necessarily large dungeons or dungeons as such, but there's not usually a lot of NPC interaction, or puzzle solving as I said. Hopefully I'll be able to change that when I continue my current game, my brother is starting a new game currently so I get a little break (no dead PCs the first session--a miracle ;) ), as I intend to throw them into something different once the current scenario is completed.

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
Well they're not necessarily large dungeons or dungeons as such, but there's not usually a lot of NPC interaction, or puzzle solving as I said. Hopefully I'll be able to change that when I continue my current game, my brother is starting a new game currently so I get a little break (no dead PCs the first session--a miracle ;) ), as I intend to throw them into something different once the current scenario is completed.
Ah, I see. I like NPC interaction. It's more fun than just bashing things without interaction :)

Sleepy time. If you're right, the others will come on soon :lol:

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
This gets much worse if you take a PrC or two that have the same good and bad saves as your main class (e.g. A Wizard/Incantatrix/Archmage)

Magic items don't help the disparity because they raise all the saves together.

Of course if you use the fractional saves in UA, the bad saves don't get any worse than taking a straight class. It also doesn't get any worse if you choose to take the right levels, as taking levels in a class in multiples of three means the bad save doesn't worsen either. :p

Magic items do help, as raising the overall save increases the chance for survival, whether they reduce the disparity or not matters little.

Frankly I don't anticipate ever breaking 40th level, so it's not too much of a concern...coincidentally that's where my progressions end. ;)

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Ah, I see. I like NPC interaction. It's more fun than just bashing things without interaction :)

Sleepy time. If you're right, the others will come on soon :lol:

I like NPC interaction too, I just don't get a lot in FtF gaming.

I'd guess within an hour or two at most. :lol:

Edit: No-one here in an hour and a half, so I'm logging off...ultimate irony not achieved. :(

Goodnight Rystil. :)

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
unleashed said:
Lets go for the ultimate irony...you go off to bed, everyone else comes back on, and I'll still be here to tell them they've missed you with my sleeping characters. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing wrong is that Unleashed left about 30 minutes ago... :lol:

unleashed said:
I was going to mention a game idea I'd been throwing around since I teased Bront with a solo game, but since everyone else went away I won't now. :p

Solo game? What solo game? I like solo games! :D (I feel teased already. ;) )

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Ironic, eh unleashed? I finish my work and then everyone else goes to sleep except you, and your characters are asleep. :D
Yeah, that's what I get for not checking at 1:30. Oh well :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, I see. What luck, eh? Once I weather this time with heavy projects, which shan't end for a while, I'm going to set up Viridian Plague. Also, once Diplomatic Immunity slows down again with everyone together, I'm going to start thinking about adding on my next game.

My current three thoughts are:
*Blossoming Strife
*my Post-Arthurian Campaign (setting=England in the year 515 AD)
*my Rejected-by-WotC Campaign (homebrew setting)
Generaly, of those 3, Blossoming Strife is of most interest to me, but that's mostly because I had already developed much of the character, but couldn't get a good stat set or class info to actualy run with it.

While not a huge Pegen fan, I'll play one if I can find a character that strikes me. However, I'll admit post-arthurian doesn't interest me much.

Your Homebrew could be interesting. Is it gestalt or more normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads