DnD 3.5 - Into the Dragon's Lair. (Closed)

sans

First Post
Sorry for the delay. I've never played/created a high level cleric before.

Since our party has been traveling together for I while, I've done a little writeup on how my character, Brother Odis, views the rest of the party. I've based the perceptions on your character backgrounds and alignment. Again, this is how Odis views your characters, so he could be wrong. I'm not trying to impose any personalities on your chars. Please let me know if I'm way off. Of course, we can forget all this and just get on with the game :D

Duthayer Coalhammer
Brother Odis constantly pokes fun at the Duthayer's strict code of conduct and overwhelming "stuffiness". However, Odis has developed a deep respect for the paladin's unwavering devotion to his deity, Silverbeard. Odis himself knows how hard it is to maintain such a level faith. It is much easier to keep that faith when you stand beside someone else who understands what it is like to devote every action, every thought, every breath to a god.

Absalom Darkwind
Brother Odis won't admit it, but he thinks Absalom is pretty damn creepy. It takes a person with a very "odd" point of view to keep the company of the undead. The necromancer probably had a very lonely childhood. However, Tymora has followers from all different races and backgrounds from halflings to lizardfolk from peons to merchant lords. She cares not from where they came, she judges them only by their actions. Thus far, the Absalom has proven himself a loyal companion and has many a time aided the cause of good and never, to Odis' knowledge, the cause of evil. Ironically, Absalom, at times, can be just as "stuffy" as the paladin. Odis every so often wonders if he should try and turn the necromancer's skeleton companion... just to see what would happen. But, alas, such a prank might cause more harm than laughter and that would not make Tymora smile at all.

Arthur of the Shadow
Brother Odis admires Arthur because Arthur's story is one of self-awareness. To be happy is a great virtue, but to realize and truly believe that happiness can only come from one's self is profound wisdom indeed.

Kuma
Brother Odis grew up in the The Dragon Coast and, ironically, never actually saw a dragon while he traveled there. But now he finds that one of his long time companions, Kuma, is a dragon... or partial dragon... Ok, maybe the guy was one one-hundredth dragon or less, but, as they say, "You can take the dragon out of the cave, but you can't take the cave out of the..." Oh never mind. Odis frequently witnesses Kuma throw himself with great bravery and reckless abandon at the enemies of good and that makes Tymora smile. Therefore, that makes Odis smile.

Albedo

First Post
Alrighty, I figure I should follow suit and illustrate where Arthur stands with the party. Same with sans, I've taken a few liberties in order to tie my character in, so if anyone disagrees with anything I've posted, just let me know and I'll change them.

[sblock]
Absalom Darkwind: Arthur holds a great deal of respect of Absalom, considering him a pillar of morale strength. His journeys through the underdark and beyond have given him an in-depth look into undead and the necromantic arts, and the idea that someone could master the craft without being consumed by it inspires Arthur to push himself through even the toughest challenges.

Kuma: Kuma has always been somewhat of an oddity to Arthur, who has yet to encounter a dragon. If the strength and determination shown by the great barbarian represents their kind, Arthur feels an encounter with one will be either a really good day, or a really bad one (judging from the side it's on). Slightly put off by Kuma's bold, and up-front way of dealing with people (I'm just inferring from the lack of ranks in bluff or sensemotive, as well as the abundance in intimidate and diplomacy here), the half-dragon(ish) warrior wouldn't be his first choice for a social encounter, though there is none other he would rather have at his back in a straight fight.

Duthayer Coalhammer: Paladins are the cause for much worry to Arthur. While he appreciates the way Paladin's selflessly devote themselves to helping those in need, he has long ago learned that what he thinks is right and what is legal don't always coincide. Despite his previous troubles with various Paladin orders though, Arthur has come to accept Duthayer as a fellow companion. Even so, he has difficulty opening up around the man, and prefers to take a reserved stance in his dealings with him in order to prevent any friction.

Brother Odis: Arthur prefers to spend most of his free time hanging around Brother Odis. Contrasting with Arthur's hardships and dark past, he finds the man's uplifting personality refreshing, and sometimes even finds himself a part of the occasional pranks the worshipper of Tymora conjures. [/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
sans, I noticed something on your character sheet. Your silver shortspear is spell-storing and returning without having an enhancement bonus. As per the DMG pg. 221, last sentense of the third paragraph under weapons, "A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus." So you technically need to spend 18,392 gp on it. 18,000 for the +1 spell-storing and returning properties, 2 for the spear, 300 for the masterwork, and 90 for having a one-handed weapon made of alchemical silver (DMG pg. 285). And remember, an alchemical silver weapon has -1 to damage (per DMG pg. 285).

Also, your stick with continual light - that spell is called continual flame, and it requires a material component of 50gp (PHB pg. 213).

So yeah, noticed those and thought you would want to know. :)

sans

First Post
Ok, I've made the necessary changes prompted by Isida Kep'Tukari's post. Hopefully, Brother Odis is 100% legit now. Otherwise, Tymora will be very displeased with him.

And here's a bit o' trivia: Continual Flame was called Continual Light in 1st/2nd edition. God, I'm getting old. :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Heh, I know, I used to play 2e, my Dad taught my sister and I that system way before 3e existed. And there are a mighty large amounts of permanently glowing chair legs, rocks, holy symbols, stones, femurs, and eyeballs lying about those 1e/2e dungons now...

sans

First Post
Twisted,

After reading up on bags of holding I realized I screwed up my char equipment. I always thought a bag of holding was the size of a belt pouch, not a 2x4' sack. Brother Odis will look like Santa Clause lugging around his equipment. So, please, may I replace Odis' bag of holding with a handy haversack? It costs 500 gold less. We can consider the loss of that amount as punishment. :) If not, then can we at least assume my character had a regular backpack in which he places the bag of holding?

Also, I screwed up on assuming I could use Greater Magic Weapon with my rod of Lesser Extend. No can do. GMW is a 4th level spell and the lesser rods only work with up to 3rd level spells. Anyways, I updated the footnotes in the weapons section of my character sheet.

TwistedMindInc

First Post
Hah, I haven't checked this thread in a while so I'm glad someone's been keeping up on you guys. :) Thanks for changing things so that they're actually legal now ;) and yes, the haversack is fine. Don't worry about the loss of gold, go ahead and refund it to your sheet.

TwistedMindInc

First Post
Not sure if I've covered this, but I think as far as rolling goes.. I've decided I'm going to roll for your skills (ie spot, listen, searching for traps) along with your initiatives; unless stated otherwise. But, being a player myself, I think I'd like you guys to roll your own attack rolls. Just post what the intentions of what your action might be.

Example: Jargen growls at the uncoming fleet of goblins. Drawing his bastard sword, he prepares himself for the first attacker to come his way. Slicing wide with the large sword, hoping to catch the pesky intruder with his favored weapon's keen blade.

Thanks! :)

P.S. For my own knowledge, H4H, will your skeletal minion be acting on Absalom's turn.. or do you wish him to have his own intiative? Either is fine with me, wasn't sure if it would be less confusing if they were a package deal.

hero4hire

Explorer
TwistedMindInc said:
P.S. For my own knowledge, H4H, will your skeletal minion be acting on Absalom's turn.. or do you wish him to have his own intiative? Either is fine with me, wasn't sure if it would be less confusing if they were a package deal.

Part of his usefulness is his High Initiative, he has standing orders to protect him and probably will react before Absalom to threats. But if it is something other then Protecting Absalom then he will have to wait until he is ordered to do something since he isnt free-thinking.

Remove ads