Do you have evil PCs in your campaign(s)?

Do you have evil PCs in your campaign(s)?

• I never have and I don't plan on it.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I never have but I would like to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have in the past but not right now. I liked it.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I have in the past but not right now. I didn't like it.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I'm currently in an all evil campaign.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I'm currently in a campaign with mixed alignments, some evil.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.1%

Falcon

First Post
I have no interest at all in playing an evil character, playing in a campaign where evil alignments are allowed, or DMming an evil -oriented campaign. As a one-shot, sure. Otherwise, forget it.

Anthraxus

Explorer
I play in one evil campaign, but we haven't been acting very evil. My character is NE, and mostly I just play him as very selfish- kind seeming with a mean streak.

Not a bloodthirsty, homocidal maniac by any means! :p

Black Omega

First Post
I've played an evil PC, it was rather fun. She was quite the manipulative wench but worked well enough with the group.

In the games I've run we've not had an evil PC but it could work without trouble. LG and LE can work together just fine against the forces of chaos.

Terwox

First Post
I've dm'd for evil parties.
Evil being, the characters were basically "normal" adventurers.
They just cared nothing for the people they helped. They wanted power and glory, and didn't care a lick for the people they helped. Sometimes they'd act completely benevolent if it meant the most gain to them, other times they'd blatantly extort people. It was interesting, and I enjoyed running that campaign.
Evil meaning selfish to me, though. They were still human, and could care for people, it was just far below themselves.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
I play a nuetral Dwarven Rogue/Sorcerer on his way to the dark side. I ran it all through the DM prior to creating the PC and he ok'd it. I do strive to keep my goals in line with the party's so has not to cause too much conflict.

Ex: My PC just accepted his first "hit", and is in the process of planning/carrying it out. With the money gained from this job he plans to help outfit the party for an upcoming mission. This will most certainly carry him over to the path of Darkness. Yet, as the rest of the party has no idea of what said PC does in his "off" time there is no inner conflict with them.

The other PCs know that he isn't the most scrupulous of individuals, but he does his part for the group and comes in rather handy in certain cases.

I think running an "Evil" PC requires a certain degree of maturity, otherwise it just turns in to a bunch of "me against the world" crap...

BTW, I voted "Other"

Holy Bovine

First Post
Have DMed an all evil Lankhmar campaign. Worked well enough but the PCs never really acted all that evil IMO. It just became another 'heroic' campaign (guess that was mostly my fault).

I have played in an all-evil campaign - it sucked. First session we start out in prison, in chains. The PC thief (this was 2nd ed) without any lockpicks or tools of any kind picks the locks of his chains with his fingers. He then proceeds to ask each of us what we will give him if he frees us. We, of course, promise the world.

We get free and in the running fight out of the prison (which employed Ogre Magi as guards - yes we were all first level) we come across a few items of magic and money. We agreed to split the stuff up once we were out of the city.

We get to a neighbouring town and identify and divide up the stuff. The thief gets a pretty big chunk and I end up with a +1 Glaive. As a Monk that wasn't bad but I'd have to wait several levels to gain the proficeny. Oh well I thought - at least I could sell it.

We go to sleep in the inn.

The DM asks me to bring him my character sheet. He looks at a minute then rips in half and says - "You're dead. The thief killed you."

I was a little stunned as I had locked and barred my door and had no window in the room but I wasn't mad. The tohief player then turns to me and says "You just don't know how to play very well do you? That was pathetic locking your door, my thief can open anything. Since you locked you door you directly challenged me to open it - I was just following my alignment when i killed you."

I looked at him trying to figure out if he was serious or not.

I got the feeling he was and the other players and the DM were nodding in agreement with him!

I left that group never to return.

Another mixed alignment campaign I was in the DM vetoed the Paladin I wanted to play because there were evil memebers of the group that the paladin wouldn't associtate with. I said fine and made up a CG thief (there was a CG Cleric and a N Fighter as well). The evil PC showed up once and got himself killed by a rival evil cult when he tried to bust in on one of their rituals. He was a CE follower of Cyric. The player never came back (but I could have played my paladin if he had never shown up in the first place :mad: )

So all in all I don't really like evil PCs and have never really understood the appeal. If thats what your group likes then I have no say in it - just don't try and bring an evil PC to MY table.

Cullain

First Post
I played a super-evil mama's boy once, that was a lot of fun. He'd try and and act all tough and domineering, but only if he knew his mama wouldn't find out.

I'm fine with evil characters, depending on the player. They're too often played as more stupid than evil, unfortunately.
"You're surrounded by goblins, there's just you and the paladin left. What do you do?"
"I stab him in the back"
"But he's your only companion"
"But I'm evil. Mwa-hah-hah"
*sigh*

Cullain

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Holy Bovine said:

The DM asks me to bring him my character sheet. He looks at a minute then rips in half and says - "You're dead. The thief killed you."

I was a little stunned as I had locked and barred my door and had no window in the room but I wasn't mad. The tohief player then turns to me and says "You just don't know how to play very well do you? That was pathetic locking your door, my thief can open anything. Since you locked you door you directly challenged me to open it - I was just following my alignment when i killed you."

I looked at him trying to figure out if he was serious or not.

I got the feeling he was and the other players and the DM were nodding in agreement with him!

I left that group never to return.

Not meant as a personal slam to you Bovine, or anyone else for that matter, but this is what I meant when I said that playing an Evil PC well required a certain bit of maturity... Seems the Thief that killed you was all hosed up due to who was playing him. How old were the players when this group was together? Sounds like some stuff we did when I was a kid.

Remove ads