D&D (2024) Do you think we will get MM Playtest Packets?

Do you think we will get MM Playtest Packets?

• Yes

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • No clue

Votes: 10 20.0%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One thing that I think they do need to implement in the MM is the new weapon mastery properties. If they don't -- if no monster is going to have these abilities -- it's going to feel wrong, cheap. At the same time, if every time a gnoll hits you with its flail you attack with disadvantage (sap), combat is going to slow down -- with an additional round or two, I expect, per combat. (That's based only on a handful of practice combats; it could be more).

I have not seen anyone else talking about the impact of Weapon Masteries in the hands of the monsters. A MM playtest would make that clear.
Monsters don't necessarily play by PC rules, though I could see a discussion of getting that in there as an option.

mamba

Legend
One thing that I think they do need to implement in the MM is the new weapon mastery properties. If they don't -- if no monster is going to have these abilities -- it's going to feel wrong, cheap. At the same time, if every time a gnoll hits you with its flail you attack with disadvantage (sap), combat is going to slow down -- with an additional round or two, I expect, per combat. (That's based only on a handful of practice combats; it could be more).

I have not seen anyone else talking about the impact of Weapon Masteries in the hands of the monsters. A MM playtest would make that clear.
For compatibility reasons all the monsters will keep their CR, so there is little room to introduce this. Monsters by and large also do not have a lot of skills that other classes have, so I am not expecting much here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For compatibility reasons all the monsters will keep their CR, so there is little room to introduce this. Monsters by and large also do not have a lot of skills that other classes have, so I am not expecting much here.
However, could be part of the discussion of hoe to adjust Monsters and their CR.

mamba

Legend
However, could be part of the discussion of hoe to adjust Monsters and their CR.
not expecting much <> nothing at all ;) I can see this being added to a few humanoids like Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Orcs, and some Giants but by and large I am not expecting this to become widespread amongst humanoids

Parmandur

Book-Friend
not expecting much <> nothing at all ;) I can see this being added to a few humanoids like Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Orcs, and some Giants but by and large I am not expecting this to become widespread amongst humanoids
No, I mean I expect to see it in the section about how to adjust Monsters and add new powers.

I think Weapon Mastery should only be a thing for classed characters. If the monster is a classed "Fighter" or another class where it is appropriate, then it's fine to add the add-on effect in the weapon attack. But it should not spill over into just any creature with a weapon.

Clint_L

Hero
They will, but if Multiverse and the other recent books are anything to go by, there won't be anything too controversial, though I expect lots of discussion of whatever the new CR system will be. Maybe a long thread discussing alignment being made optional on everything, even celestials and fiends, though that ship sailed a while ago so maybe not.

Remove ads