D&D (2024) Do you think we will get MM Playtest Packets?

Do you think we will get MM Playtest Packets?

• Yes

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • No clue

Votes: 10 20.0%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They will, but if Multiverse and the other recent books are anything to go by, there won't be anything too controversial, though I expect lots of discussion of whatever the new CR system will be. Maybe a long thread discussing alignment being made optional on everything, even celestials and fiends, though that ship sailed a while ago so maybe not.
Perkins already spulled that it's the Xanathar's Encounter system with some adjustments.

Weapon Mastery should be stripped from PCs and simply be made Weapon Properties and then PC matial classes should get class appropriate ways to build on those properties. For D&D, I like PCs and Monsters to work in the same general universe. 5e already leans too hard into making them different.

Weapon Mastery should be stripped from PCs and simply be made Weapon Properties and then PC matial classes should get class appropriate ways to build on those properties. For D&D, I like PCs and Monsters to work in the same general universe. 5e already leans too hard into making them different.
I prefer design that lets people opt into complication. If mastery abilities were a basic function of every weapon, no matter the training (which sounds weird to me, to be honest), and every humanoid used a weapon that Topples (trips) or Saps (Disadvantage on next attack), or Graze (damages on a miss), with every attack, that sounds like a terrible experience for players and DMs of larger groups of minions.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think Weapon Mastery should only be a thing for classed characters. If the monster is a classed "Fighter" or another class where it is appropriate, then it's fine to add the add-on effect in the weapon attack. But it should not spill over into just any creature with a weapon.
I couldn't disagree more. Look at how easy weapon masteries are becoming for PCs. If the same abilities are not given to the monsters using weapons "professionally" (not all, but many -- I used the example of a gnoll), that's just you-get-a-pony exceptionalism.

But here's a compromise: even if it's just the Goblin Boss, the Gnoll Pack Lord, the Hobgoblin Captain and Warlord... it should be there as default in many of the monster stat blocks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I couldn't disagree more. Look at how easy weapon masteries are becoming for PCs. If the same abilities are not given to the monsters using weapons "professionally" (not all, but many -- I used the example of a gnoll), that's just you-get-a-pony exceptionalism.

But here's a compromise: even if it's just the Goblin Boss, the Gnoll Pack Lord, the Hobgoblin Captain and Warlord... it should be there as default in many of the monster stat blocks.
I could certainly see.ot.showing up, but we'll see.

Remove ads