Doctor Who SE04 EP04: The Sontaran Stratagem (spoilers)

horacethegrey

First Post
Mysterious deaths around the world arouse the suspicion of UNIT, and their newest medical officer, Martha Jones, calls upon an old friend for help. The Doctor arrives, reuniting with Martha, whilst Donna reunites with her family. But the reunions are short lived, as an old enemy of the Doctor reveals themselves with a plan to conquer the Earth.

The stratagem commences... :)

I must say, I had my doubts about Helen Raynor after her somewhat flawed Dalek two parter last season, but I think this excellent first episode more than makes up for them. A wonderful reintroduction to the Sontarans, whom I've always liked since their first appearance in The Time Warrior. Short, brutish, and nasty but possessed with intelligence and cunning borne from countless warfare, the story gets their basic characteristics right while updating their appearance (which I love). And a big shout out must be given to Christopher Ryan, who gives a sinister and commanding performance as the Sontaran leader General Staal.

As for the rest of the performances, I've no complaints. Nice to see Freema back, though I'm sure the Martha haters are sure to be gnashing their teeth. Whatever, she was good here, as were the two leads. Though I must commend David Tennant again, as he brings out some of the Doctor's more negative aspects to bear. Specifically, his hypocritical attitude towards guns (someone ought to mention to him about the time he's used weapons to save his skin), and his occasional thoughtlessness, which makes for a funny scene between him and Donna.

A great start to what looks like to be a interesting two parter. Hope they don't drop the ball next week. ;)

It was definitely a very interesting episode. I wonder if in this two-parter, the Doctor will have to reevaluate his opinion on weapons and be forced to use the TARDIS? Or will humans have to reevaluate? ;)

At the moment, the situation seems very dire, but then, that's how it always seems at the end of the first part. ;)

Felon

First Post
I really have a dislike for this episode.

First, the Sontarans are basically using a slight variant of what the Atapose were doing a few episodes ago, selling humans some wonderful invention with sinister designs. Actually, what the aliens were doing in Pompei was similar in principle as well.

Secondly, what's with the UNIT leader being a stupid, worthless weakling? A weakling that Donna can just mouth off to and push around ("I'll have a salute!")? Isn't UNIT supposed to be an elite paramilitary organization?

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Felon said:
I really have a dislike for this episode.

First, the Sontarans are basically using a slight variant of what the Atapose were doing a few episodes ago, selling humans some wonderful invention with sinister designs. Actually, what the aliens were doing in Pompei was similar in principle as well.
I really enjoyed the episode, but this issue was one that annoyed me. Aliens who are duping stupid earthlings in order to carry out an invasion has been used to death as a plot device in Dr Who recently. In addition to the episodes you mention above, off-hand I could mention the "ghosts are really Cybermen", "Station 5 is really run by Daleks", "shop dummies are really Autons", "the satellite network is really a tool of the Master" and "the government is really run by Slitheen". I'm sure there are more. Well-executed episode all the same, but shamefully unoriginal.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Felon said:
Secondly, what's with the UNIT leader being a stupid, worthless weakling? A weakling that Donna can just mouth off to and push around ("I'll have a salute!")? Isn't UNIT supposed to be an elite paramilitary organization?

QFT.

Why can't they have someone of the calibre of the Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart?

horacethegrey

First Post
Shag said:
They are also really over-doing Earth based stories.
I wanna see some other worlds!
In an interview w/ SFX magazine, Russell T. Davies said the reason for the lack of otherworld stories was primarily due to budget constraints. RTD, being the sticker for detail that he is, wants alien planet to look like alien planet, and not some rock quarry or studio set as was often the case in the original series.

Personally I think that's a rather weak excuse, as their last two attempts at an alien world (Utopia and Planet of the Ood) were rather dodgy at best. The only time I was really convinced that the TARDIS landed somewhere offworld was in The Impossible Planet (easily the best looking set in the new series in my view :) ).

Aeolius

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
You wouldn't have liked the third doctor much then :)
Pertweejon.jpg

Jon Pertwee is my all-time favorite Doctor even though, like most in the states, my first exposure to Dr Who was with Tom Baker.

Last edited:

Remove ads