• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid/Monk combo

Space Coyote

First Post
Hello all. A Druid/Monk combination is something that I have been contemplating, but have a few questions about blending certain powers or abilities. I would like to either get a RAW reference that confirms/denies these actions or at least a majority of opinions:

-If a Druid/Monk Wild shapes into an animal form, do they retain the monks AC Bonus ability (add Wisdom to AC, +1AC per 5 monk levels)? I dont see why not since this does not violate any of the limits for Monk AC bonus.
-In Wild Shape form, can a Druid/Monk still use Flurry of blows? I would imagine that the answer is yes, however, they would either get the normal MOnk flurry of bonus number of attacks and damage (damage may change based on size of the animal form) OR attack with the animal-form natural weapons, but not take the best of the two. To confirm, he could not mix up the two (e.g. claw, bit, unarmed) because flurry can only be done with unarmed or monk weapons.
-Can a Druid/Monk in Wild shape form still use special attacks that rely on unarmed strike, like Stunning Fist (for example, can he shape into a bear and attack with a claw attack and make it a stunning fist attack)?
-Can this character still get the Fast Movement bonus? Once again, I dont see why not, since this does not violate the limits for Fast Movement.

Thanks.

moritheil

First Post
In short, druid and monk abilities synergize almost perfectly - which is why druid/monk is regularly cited as the most broken gestalt possibility.

Be prepared for houseruling - I have seen some DMs that would not allow fast movement or other bonuses to work in wildshape.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
For AC bonus, Flurry, and Fast Movement, I agree with your comments.

For Stunning Fist, it depends on whether one considers a natural weapon to be an unarmed attack. The text under 'Unarmed Attacks' in the PHB Combat section initially doesn't appear to support it, but they are mentioned under '"Armed" Unarmed Attacks'.

Note that Stunning Fist does not, in fact, 'rely on unarmed strike'; the phrase used is 'unarmed attack'.

-Hyp.

javcs

First Post
By the RAW, yes, but, as moritheil said, houseruling is probably going to happen.

I might houserule against Flurry of Blows working under certain situations, such as rake attacks, but in general, I'd let most of the abilities work.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
javcs said:
I might houserule against Flurry of Blows working under certain situations, such as rake attacks.

You can't make rake attacks as part of a Flurry of Blows; they are neither unarmed strikes not special monk weapons.

The Wildshaped Monk/Druid in bear form can use Flurry of Blows with unarmed strikes, but he cannot use Flurry of Blows with claws and bites.

-Hyp.

Space Coyote

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

On a similar note, I also wanted to confirm something else. I know that BAB will add together from multi-classing (for example if you have a level 4 Fighter (BAB +4) and a level 2 Cleric (BAB +1), the BAB adds for a total of +5), do you add a BAB from another class to a Monks flurry of blows attack rating?

For example, if you have a level 5 monk doing Flurry of blows you have 2 attacks at +2/+2 base. If you also have 5 levels of Druid, do your Druid BAB of +3 add to the Monks Flurry for +5/+5? Or do you only get the +2/+2?

javcs

First Post
It's just your flat BAB.
No such thing as class BAB, it's just that the different classes gain BAB at different rates, full, 3/4, and 1/2. It's all the same thing.

Mycanid

First Post
I always thought this class would be almost as challenging to play as the paladin. You are restricted to the Lawful Neutral alignment only.

I have tried it once or twice and ... well, it was difficult, although I was able to pull it off. :)

Hypersmurf said:
For AC bonus, Flurry, and Fast Movement, I agree with your comments.

For Stunning Fist, it depends on whether one considers a natural weapon to be an unarmed attack. The text under 'Unarmed Attacks' in the PHB Combat section initially doesn't appear to support it, but they are mentioned under '"Armed" Unarmed Attacks'.

Note that Stunning Fist does not, in fact, 'rely on unarmed strike'; the phrase used is 'unarmed attack'.

-Hyp.

Another example.

Thornskin (Spell Compendium Drd 3). Your skin sprouts thorns ... increasing the damage you deal with an unarmed strike.

By the RAW it looks that you can't use this with your natural attacks from wildshape/shapechange.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
brendan candries said:
Another example.

Thornskin (Spell Compendium Drd 3). Your skin sprouts thorns ... increasing the damage you deal with an unarmed strike.

By the RAW it looks that you can't use this with your natural attacks from wildshape/shapechange.

Right - although you could make an unarmed strike as a bear (potentially more than one, if your BAB is +6 or higher), provoking an AoO and dealing non-lethal damage based on your new size... which would benefit from the thorns.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads