Eberron - The dawn of the warforged (recruitment closed)

EvilPlatypus

First Post
Doghead : your character being part of the original warforged group doesn't really work because of timing issues. However, while being chased away from q'barra he might have been hired by someone to go and look for a sunken temple where he might find a few warforged and some kalashtar

doghead

thotd
Doghead : your character being part of the original warforged group doesn't really work because of timing issues. However, while being chased away from q'barra he might have been hired by someone to go and look for a sunken temple where he might find a few warforged and some kalashtar

Warforged (he has no name), is in the IC thread.

I suspect that there might be some questions coming next. What was he told about this temple he was sent to find?

thotd

EvilPlatypus

First Post
Hi doghead. That was a bit faster then expected. Allright. You were hired By Lord ir-Thul, from his accent you presume he is from Karrnathi descent. You were hired to go to a specific place (the temple) before a specific time (today noon) (the second wir of Lharvion in the year 998). You were told there would be khalashtar and warforged, and you were directed to bring them to Regalport, in the Lhazaar principalities, where ir-Thul would find you again. You were given 1500 gp in gems as travel money, and were offered another 1500 gp as a fee for your effort, which will be payed 'upon delivery'. You have a map with the temple marked on it. It is a newly drawn map, showing little but the area you need to go to. You have hired a lokal guide through House Tharrashk, an Orc named Grimjaw, who has spoken at least five words to you in the two weeks of travel it took you to get here. He is currently waiting for you at the boats (two of 'em) at the rivers edge, about four hundred meters from here.
As to who/what/why you absolutely have no clue whatsoever. When you asked Lord ir-Thul how you would get the group to follow you, he said 'they'll not have another way to go'. That's about it. You do not know how the warforged or the Khalashtar got here. You're basically a hired hand.

doghead

thotd
You were given 1500 gp in gems as travel money ...

So when I first read this I thought, travel money, sweet. I was thinking something like ship from Zarash'ak to Sharn in Brieland, then Lightning Rail from Sharn to Flamekeep in Thrane. Downriver to Thaliost in Thran the Lightning Rail to Korth in Karrnath. Then finally overland and by sea to Regalport.** The odd teleport. Maybe an elemental airship ride. Cool.

[sblock=** Rant] The maps in the ECS books really are the most useless things. How hard would it have been to put the lightning rail routes on the main map, and include the names of the bordering nations on the nation maps? Jeez.[/sblock]

But then I started looking into the prices. Lightning Rail is listed as 2gp/mile. From Sharn to Swordkeep is 1,100 miles. At 2gp/mile, that would be 17,600gp for the eight characters. And that just takes us to the border of Brieland. Airships and teleports are even more expensive.

Humm, that's not going to work.

So looking at the options:

Coach 3cp/mile x 5000 miles = 15,000cp/100 = 150gp x 8 = 1200 gp
* 5000 miles / 20miles per day = 250 days (assuming roads the whole way)
Purchase a Coach 100 gp + 6 horses (450gp) + Stabling [(5000miles/20mpd = 250 days)*5spx6] 750gp + Acc ..
Purchase Horses 4x75gp + 4x200gp = 1,100gp x Stabling [5000miles/50miles per day x 4gp] 400gp + Acc ...
Ship Passage 2sp/mile x 5000 miles = 10,000sp/10 = 1,000gp x 8 = 8,000gp.
* 5000 miles / 50 miles per day = 100 days.

You get the picture. So what was the intention?

Do what you can with the 1500gp?

Hand-wave the trip?

Letters of credit with the Houses for the cool stuff, cash for the other travel?

Don't you worry about that; all will be revealed?

Cheers

thotd

EvilPlatypus

First Post
I'll have a look, might be I miscalculated,it should be enough for a boat-trip to regalport from the shadow-marches. Don't worry too much about it, I'd worry 'bout getting out of the swamps first :)

doghead

thotd
I'll have a look, might be I miscalculated,it should be enough for a boat-trip to regalport from the shadow-marches. Don't worry too much about it, I'd worry 'bout getting out of the swamps first :)

The numbers took me by surprise as well. I didn't really think about it at first. It was only when I thought that the other characters might have some questions that I pulled out the rulebook to start preparing some answers.

Sure. I'll put it into the 'tomorrow's problems' basket :)

thotd

EvilPlatypus

First Post
The travelling :

purchasing passage on a sailing ship : 3 cp/m = 15000 cp= 150 gp each, for 1200 gp, travelling time about 100 days.
steerage fare on a lightning rail : 3 cp/m = 1200 gp, about 10 days of travel.

Now if a party of 6 warforged and two psions cannot negotiate free passage on any vessel heading anywhere you're doing something wrong :), so consider it more of a 'war chest'.

On another note, I must say I'm enjoying myself immensely with the warforged discussing philosophy and freedom. For me, now that the railroading is done, you're free to do as you will, it's an open sandbox game from now on. You'll need to discover the what's and why's for yourselves, and you all are free to react to what will be happening as you please.

Have fun,

Evil P.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
The travelling :

purchasing passage on a sailing ship : 3 cp/m = 15000 cp= 150 gp each, for 1200 gp, travelling time about 100 days.
steerage fare on a lightning rail : 3 cp/m = 1200 gp, about 10 days of travel.

Now if a party of 6 warforged and two psions cannot negotiate free passage on any vessel heading anywhere you're doing something wrong :), so consider it more of a 'war chest'.

Cheers. Happy with that

On another note, I must say I'm enjoying myself immensely with the warforged discussing philosophy and freedom. For me, now that the railroading is done, you're free to do as you will, it's an open sandbox game from now on. You'll need to discover the what's and why's for yourselves, and you all are free to react to what will be happening as you please.

It has been fun from this side as well.

I always figure if the thread is ticking over without my having to do anything (as a GM), then something is going right.

As a side note : the travel prices I'm looking at are at p 18 of the explorer's handbook.

I was going off the numbers in the Setting book, which are a bit basic, but all I had access to.

thotd

Remove ads