• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Eldritch Knight Spellcasting don't use a Spellbook?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Since 3.0 have given any player with a spontaneous caster PC (with the exception of the sorcerer) the option of having a spell book and preparing spells instead. Only a few have done so, but it really doesn't affect the game or power level too much.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Not that it relates to the spell book question but I also find that if you allow the EK to PICK 2 schools it works out pretty well, if the players want a bit more freedom. Shouldn't break the game either.

slaughterj

Explorer
Not that it relates to the spell book question but I also find that if you allow the EK to PICK 2 schools it works out pretty well, if the players want a bit more freedom. Shouldn't break the game either.

That's an interesting idea. I think that for the EK and AT, to keep them still somewhat thematically connected to the books, maybe a good approach might be say they each get 2 schools, one of which must be one of the two listed for the class, and the other can be any other school. Two of any class for either the EK or AT might be fine as well though from a game balance standpoint.

I really want to play an EK whose magics are focused largely on self-buffs and physical abilities--spider climb, haste, etc.--so I'd love for swapping out schools to be an optional rule somewhere. (I mean, odds are I'll be able to talk an eventual DM into it anyway, since I mostly play with friends, but it'd be nice to have an official "this won't break the class" notation.)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

I have always allowed this as an option as well, and again, it hasn't hurt anything as far as I can see. Oddly, the options I see picked most often (two out of the three PCs I've had go fighter/EK in 5e) for the EK are Enchantment and Illusion.

Athinar

Explorer
If Eldritch Knight Spellcasting did use a Spellbook, and the Knight found a wizard's book the knight would have to decipher and convert the spells into EK style spellcasting then, 2 hour per level per spell and 50 gp per level per spell

Simonb1

Explorer
Hi all,

Unless they take the Ritual Caster Feat.

Which, in my opinion is a good idea, to add some flexibility and relieve slot pressure.

Simon

Last edited:

Remove ads