Epic D&D campaign (still recruiting)

Jemal

Adventurer
So, what kind of scroll can be seen by detect magic but not Analyze Dweomer...
Thoughts anybody?

The only thing I can think of is an Artifact..

Shayuri

First Post
Artifacts usually don't radiate magic either...

But there's nothing to say they -can't-. I suppose technically Analyze Dweomer doesn't detect magical radiation. It merely tells the caster what the functions of a magic item are. Maybe protection from Analyze Dweomer is built into it somehow. Detect Magic, which provides much more vague answers, wasn't seen as a threat, so they didn't bother blocking it.

Albedo

First Post
First off, the very last line of Analyze Dweomer spcifies it doesn't work on artifacts. Secondly detect magic specifically has an aura strength FOR artifacts, which just happens to be overwhelming. Its probably a normal (if you can call them that :p) artifact.

Jemal

Adventurer
Neph - Portable holes only function while spread open on a flat surface. There's no 'partially open', it's all or nothing.

Also, Kayla won't be letting you leave with the prisoner when she doesn't trust you not to slaughter or torture him (Especially after your statement about it providing 'low amusement'). If you intend to force your way out, we'll have to figure out what happens round by round.

Nephtys

First Post
Jemal- What's done is done. Shahaza has already left, unless Kayla can turn back time there's nothing to figure out.

SRD 3.5:
Portable Hole

A portable hole is a circle of cloth spun from the webs of a phase spider interwoven with strands of ether and beams of starlight. When opened fully, a portable hole is 6 feet in diameter, but it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. This hole can be picked up from inside or out by simply taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Either way, the entrance disappears, but anything inside the hole remains.
The only air in the hole is that which enters when the hole is opened. It contains enough air to supply one Medium creature or two Small creatures for 10 minutes. The cloth does not accumulate weight even if its hole is filled. Each portable hole opens on its own particular nondimensional space. If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in that place. Both the bag and the cloth are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process.
Moderate conjuration; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, plane shift; Price 20,000 gp.

"When opened fully" it is 6 feet in diameter. But why would it say that unless it can be opened less than fully. If it could only be opened fully it would say "When Open".

It can be opened on any surface. It doesn't have to be perfectly flat (says nothing about that) nor does it have to be 6 feet in diameter. She could easily open in on her flat stomach or on the side of a scimitar.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
As far as the portable hole is concerned, I believe you're misreading it, but that's up to the DM to decide.

As far as the "I posted it so its done", That's a little bit of god-moding you got going on there.

When posting actions in an interactive game, you can't just post yourself an hour into the future and expect that nobody else has a chance to respond.

For example:
If we're gonna play like that, I could post a couple pages worth of what I do to find you, get the portable hole from you, and knock you out without ever entering combat, and you wouldn't be able to stop me b/c "what's done is done"

Nephtys

First Post
If my actions in any way involved you then you would certainly get the chance to respond. In this case they do not. But I see the Dm has already approved your action and dismissed mine, so there's no point discussing who is right.
But if we're going to have every post in this game include only 6 seconds worth of actions this game will never get anywhere. And if we keep bickering and second-guessing each others then maybe it shouldn't. There are a thousand ways your character could have got the information she wants without antagonizing mine. I can not justify Shahaza submitting to Kayla's claims to authority. She wouldn't do that even if her alignment was LG and certainly not when it's on the darker side of neutral. After having been physically assaulted like that she can not turn the other cheek (I doubt any character in this party would). So she's going to leave the group as an enemy. I can't play it any other way. Would you?

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Nephtys: Ok, I've got a few things to say on this matter.

Step 1: I said your teleport FAILED, not that I dismissed it. Do not think party bickering has anything to do with it. I'd appreciate a little more respect than that please.

Step 2: If you want to play neutral, it might help if you change your alignment to neutral instead of leaving it LE.

Step 3: You were not in any way physically assaulted, you just choose to see it that way. Now what Jemal did is not NICE, and definatly not party friendly, but if you choose to see it in that extreme of a way its you thats being uncooperative.

Step 4: I'm not gonna say that this issue is all on you, it isn't. Ok, the fact that you are evil really doesn't help things, but moving past that. To make this situation work you guys need to give some ground here. You say that Jemal could have gotten the information thousands of other ways, but you attempted to teleport away with the prisoner even after you knew that the other party members were not done with him.

Considering you knew you would get access to the prisoner again later and were pretty much done with him at the moment, that was you being uncooperative. Not your character. Not your alignment. This may be my misconception, but you seemed to be responding more to Jemal's post rather than his in game actions.

Now I am not chewing you out as if this is all your fault. This is more of a response to you posting that you CANNOT cooperate with your fellow party members. And a little bit because you implied that I am picking sides. If you can't sort actual in game information from bickering then something has to be fixed.

Despite all I've said, if you want to go it alone, feel free. Thats part of the point of being able to do what you want.

ALL: In order to make this work, you guys need to shift your prospectives a little. If you guys want to party, and not break into smaller groups, you need to remember that your characters need to BELIEVE it is in their best interests to do so. That will allow some compromises that you wouldn't normally be made. You can go for more of the, "I wouldn't put up with that usually, but I need you for now so I will get you for it later" or "I need his help to destroy a greater evil so I should put up with it for now" mentalitys. That would really assist the party in moving forward and getting around the evil/good wall you seem to be ramming your heads into.

Shayuri

First Post
Would I? Yep, I totally would.

Give a little slack, get a little slack. Name of the game.

Were I completely and slavishly devoted to the concept of my character, I'd be floating off on my own over the ocean after having blasted a library into pieces and located an atlas with a big "YOU ARE HERE" tag.

But since my character serves me, and not the other way around, I decided to mitigate that basic goal in favor of actually, y'know, having fun. I can justify it all I want. Maybe Omega's discovering that it likes having people around that it isn't compelled to vaporize. That's a new thing for it. With that, its normal drive to fulfill objectives is...less than it might otherwise be. Especially since its current objective is self-administered and admittedly rather vague, based on oodles of missing information and attempts to shove round commands into square circumstances.

In short, its objectives are flawed, and Omega knows it. So it's hanging with you guys while it tries to figure out how to fix that. Omega wasn't designed to figure things out though...it was designed to go and go and go until it couldn't go anymore.

As for our marilith, nothing wrong here that a round of chill-pills can't fix. Even if you want to play her really really evil, even evil people will cooperate with others if it serves their interests. And this dude she's kidnapping...it doesn't seem like he's so valuable that she'd throw away goodwill and trust just because she wants to take him on a magic flying voyage. If the mouthy bard wants him, let her have him! You get brownie points for being so kind and reasonable...all for giving something up that you don't even care about. It's win win. And by win win, I mean you win...twice. That's the Evil way. :)

rangerjohn

Explorer
Shayuri, as an unbiased outside observer, what goodwill are you talking about?
Except for Omega, who just doesn't care, everyone has been either standoffish or outright hostile. Now as DS said the maralith isn't innocent in this, but on the other hand, the rest have more than contributed to the problem. Now it maybe that the personalities just cannot mesh.

Remove ads