Erekose's Savage Tide Adventure Path [Players Selected]

Velmont

First Post
For me, I just roleplay Jerrell, clumsy in such situation, but knows the very basic, like when a lady ask to sit down, I give a quick comment when I sit but no more. But as Alix and Nathan haven't done that, it confused him, so he overreact.

Verbatim

Explorer
And for my part in the blunder, well it was as I said earlier. Nathan felt he had to defend her from Alix's initial statement, even if she didn't need it, and by the time he realized he couldn't spar with Alix in noble smiley speak, Master Rivers had his flare up. I thought about adding something else in, but realized RA was right when he mentioned the time spike and now what is done is done.

I don't think we have killed the hook, but I do think we may all have to play the "Let's start over shall we?" and try to play nicer the second go round now that she has forced us to settle down and be a bit more silent.

Personally, I think Alix would like a challenge and the steel she just showed might impress him more than tick him off. Afterall, she isn't a mooning fawn like Trisha and the others..:)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Verbatim said:
And for my part in the blunder, well it was as I said earlier. Nathan felt he had to defend her from Alix's initial statement, even if she didn't need it, and by the time he realized he couldn't spar with Alix in noble smiley speak, Master Rivers had his flare up. I thought about adding something else in, but realized RA was right when he mentioned the time spike and now what is done is done.

I don't think we have killed the hook, but I do think we may all have to play the "Let's start over shall we?" and try to play nicer the second go round now that she has forced us to settle down and be a bit more silent.

Personally, I think Alix would like a challenge and the steel she just showed might impress him more than tick him off. Afterall, she isn't a mooning fawn like Trisha and the others..:)
No, the way she phrased it, Alix now has no choice but to say No without losing far more face than it could be possibly worth it to him to stay, and she would know that--it was a dismissal.

And I think you have Trisha confused with every-girl-other-than-Trisha ;) :p

Erekose13

Explorer
I apologize up front if I'm too much the railroading dm, but this has quickly gotten out of hand for me. Retconning will probably be the best solution but I'd like to explain myself first. I am even having trouble writting this reply.

I understand that everyone wants to get into their characters as much as possible and I definitely don't want to break the verissimilitude of the game. (Please note that I am by no means pointing at players as you know I enjoy rping with all of you ~ largely the reason the 5 of you were chosen). The three characters who have started arguing and are now coming to a position where they wont work together sets us up with a very poor start to a game that will hopefully last a year or significantly longer.

I do not have a problem with the tactic that Alix started with, as Lavinia had answers to put him in his place without demanding he leave. Its easy, I didn't give any character the full picture of what is happening, its part of the game. But not now. The things said in reply to some of the other character's posts leave her with a very low opinion of Alix and Nathan (Jerrel was coming to her defense and she actually appreciated it).

The other problem that I have is that the three characters are at each other's throats. What I meant by not rolling PVP rolls is that I don't want a die roll to tell you how you need to react to one another. Just as a fist from Jerrel would dictate that Alix is knocked unconscious, a counter diplomacy check from Alix would dictate how Jerrel had to play. Against NPCs and Monsters, such rolls exist to provide your characters with ways to influence NPCs. I don't like to apply such rules to PCs.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
I apologize up front if I'm too much the railroading dm, but this has quickly gotten out of hand for me. Retconning will probably be the best solution but I'd like to explain myself first. I am even having trouble writting this reply.

I understand that everyone wants to get into their characters as much as possible and I definitely don't want to break the verissimilitude of the game. (Please note that I am by no means pointing at players as you know I enjoy rping with all of you ~ largely the reason the 5 of you were chosen). The three characters who have started arguing and are now coming to a position where they wont work together sets us up with a very poor start to a game that will hopefully last a year or significantly longer.

I do not have a problem with the tactic that Alix started with, as Lavinia had answers to put him in his place without demanding he leave. Its easy, I didn't give any character the full picture of what is happening, its part of the game. But not now. The things said in reply to some of the other character's posts leave her with a very low opinion of Alix and Nathan (Jerrel was coming to her defense and she actually appreciated it).

The other problem that I have is that the three characters are at each other's throats. What I meant by not rolling PVP rolls is that I don't want a die roll to tell you how you need to react to one another. Just as a fist from Jerrel would dictate that Alix is knocked unconscious, a counter diplomacy check from Alix would dictate how Jerrel had to play. Against NPCs and Monsters, such rolls exist to provide your characters with ways to influence NPCs. I don't like to apply such rules to PCs.
I'm cool with whatever you decide.

As for the PvP aspect, now I understand what you mean--I think you confused what Velmont and I wanted to do--I totally agree with you that Alix shouldn't be able to Diplomacy Jerrell into acting how Alix wants--I had meant to do an opposed Diplomacy check to see which of us looked bad in front of Lavinia (it's the option where you make an opposed roll to influence a third party)

Erekose13

Explorer
I'm heading to bed now, tired after a Monday and a sick little guy. I think it best to pause, let this absorb, and come back to it tomorrow.

Verbatim

Explorer
As I know I won't have time/ability to say anything while I am at work on this, pull back as far as needed as it was my questioning RA's motives IC that caused the scene to explode, and I don't want to be the silver bullet to the game's starting.

I will definately be more patient in the future and the retcon will allow Nathan to do what I had intended for him to do from the onset, come in as a priest and not a Lidu leaving the games of nobles to those who should be playing them.

Velmont

First Post
Telling that Jerrell would have a grudge or anything against Alix and Nathan would be false. Jerrell is a bit naive and that make him to forgive very quickly. For now, he only see Alix and Nathan as some direscpectfull person. not us to be in teh presence fo a lady, it might be normal for them and if it happen again and again, he will probably prefer take the lead in the social situation :confused: ... only if they continue to be so abrupt with people.

For now, it is a small incident and he has see a lot worst on his ship and if he would have to start to have a grudge against anything who do something stupid, it would be a hard life, as you have to see that person every day when sailing. So no harm have been done in Jerrell's point of view and he hope to hear the lady's request.

Malarky

First Post
I"m all for retcon, personally. Doesn't seem a very auspicious start for a party that's meant to act as a team to some degree, after all. IMO the whole mess was just not very constructive - every adventure has hooks, and its up to the DM to guide it along to some degree. Jumping in and hijacking it causes, as my kid's hero Sir Topham Hatt would say, "confusion and delay!"

From Tereg's PoV Alix offended the house he very loyally serves, they all made a terrible impression on their prospective employer ... and well, dragging the death of her parents was poor form. ;) Then again, Tereg in general has a rather poor impression of most nobles . It did, however, flatly make him not want to follow the man anywhere -- and I daresay so far Alix has exhibited some good leadership choices, even in the scant few minutes they've all been together.

I think we have an incredible group of characters and players, and this should be a fun campaign. :) I daresay that Nathan and Alix will find plenty of opportunities to exercise their wit and for all involved it'll make for interesting and challenging chars.

Verbatim

Explorer
So it is looking like a retcon is in our near future, I guess now we just need to know if the cut off is the moment RA spoke, allowing Lavinia to answer his statement while the rest of us take our seats.

Remove ads