FADED GLORY: The Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion (FINISHED!)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wulf Ratbane said:
So, anyway, where and when's the Game Day?

Next one is January 21st, in Raleigh, North Carolina. It's a gathering of about 50-to-70odd people (about 30 or so are ENWorlders from SC to VA) and it's for the one day. Three org's got together (ENWorlders, TriNoCon and GAMER) to make a pretty successful gameday and have been doing it for three years running.

Next one is a BIG one - April 22 & 23rd, and quite a few people have pledged to be at that one. It's the first time to my knowledge an ENWorld Gameday will run two days straight.

Jon Potter

First Post
I can't believe I missed that game!

Sounds like it was a huge load of fun. I'll have to make sure that I'm at my computer when the registration finally opens in a couple weeks!

And congratulations on finishing the write-up, Henry.

Old One

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
[wiping away tears]

Very nice.

You know, color me prejudiced, but you just don't get this kind of action out of vanilla D&D.

Long live grim and gritty.

Hehe...

Long live the exploding action dice!

All I can say - as a GM - is it doesn't get any better than this. They were (literally) dead on their feat...Boldric was down to his last action or so before the rage expired and he keeled over...Myrdwyn was dead meat...Maxian was about to be dead meat (his armor conversion is the only thing that saved him, IIRC)...Fightin' Tony was spent...and Vercinius/Brandis were beating (somewhat ineffectually) on the last Fire Witch.

They were basically down to their last attack (before half the party was shredded and the scorpion turned its attention to Vercinius and Brandis) and Riggs (Vercinius) hit. I allowed action dice to add an extra 1d6 on a successful attack, which, with the exploding variant, sealed the deal.

All-in-all, it was a very fun session (for me, at least :]) and I was glad to see them pull it out at the end.

~ OO

PS - Looking forward to 1/21!

Old One

First Post
Henry said:
He struck hard. The Sythian Witch would swear for that last instant of her life that she had blocked the blow, would swear that there was no way it got past her, and smashed her face, and….

Brandis stood in awe. Gods we’re going to die we’re going to die watch out for that staff watch out for that tail we’re going to die we’re going to… live?

So much was undone, suddenly. The power of the black gems faded; the scorpion faded back to mist, then to nothing. Maxian sprawled to the ground, Myrwyn dumped lifelessly. Boldric screamed triumph, then fell over. Antonius just gaped. He’d never fired a shot, and suddenly, their hopelessness was changed to victory.

Vercinius and Maxian worked quickly, minding the wounded. But one wounded was beyond hope. Maxian grabbed the body of his comrade in arms, checked her vital signs. “She is gone! Vercinius, can you help her? She is gone!”

The priest checked her carefully. She was gone.

The spark of life was fled, but…

He still had a chance. Swiftly, he pulled a small phial from his belt. The liquid within both at once had purple and silver sheen, rarest of magic draughts, entrusted to him for this mission – the Tears of Mortiana. “This draught may – MAY – bring back the dead. Pray to all the gods of the Church of Light that it works in time.” If Commander Varus, hanging in the background, had any reservations about using this on the Caeldyn woman, he kept them to himself.

Vercinius administered the draught; it poured like smoke or light more than liquid, and Myrwyn was still unmoving.

A glimmer of light, faint, escaped her. Then her body spasmed, as the horrid sound of joints and bones RENDING back into place startled even the battle-hardened folk present. Myrwyn coughed blood, shook once, and BREATHED. Then she laid back, still. Vercinius seemed the only one pleased at the outcome, quickly calling on his god and forcing the last of his reserves into her.

“She will live. She will live.”

Brandis simply knelt by and held the bloody hand of his friend, helpless and exhausted.

EPILOGUE

The remaining Emorian strike team beat a hasty retreat from the Sythian base. The wounded who could not walk were carried; the dead were burned on a hasty pyre, their valorous souls commended to the gods for their part that day. Two fabulous black gems, faintly pulsing with power, were swaddled in sacks and cloths, safely in tow. The gems slept, their horrid power dormant for now. If a jewel could be sentient, perhaps these would be content to bide their time and wait… It sensed power from its procurers, and sensed just a bit of taint from one or two as well… It would have a chance to show its charms, and perhaps shime again as it did… and the dark might of the Demon Scorpion might yet show its face under a different master – an Emorian one…

Finis

Henry,

BRAVO! Even if you did diss my pet NPC ;)...

Thanks for finishing this up...just in time to whet the appetite for the next FG installment at the next NC Game Day...hooray!

I might have to make you the full time chronicler :].

~ OO

Old One

First Post
Jon Potter said:
I can't believe I missed that game!

Sounds like it was a huge load of fun. I'll have to make sure that I'm at my computer when the registration finally opens in a couple weeks!

And congratulations on finishing the write-up, Henry.

Jon,

Hope you can make it on this one. Of course, I am taking bribes ahead of time ;)!

~ OO

nakia

First Post
Yeah!

How did I miss that Henry had completed the update? It had been so long it took me a few minutes to remember which PC I played. :p

Still, great job!

Riggs

First Post
Hooray!

Nice finish, Henry!

I enjoyed your writing style and getting to read that which I had already experienced.

I really love how you ended your last flurry of updates more or less with Vercinius' "lucky magic hit" on the scorpion and this one with Verc and Brandis wailing as best we could on the witch and taking both hits and the exploding die to finish her in time! Wow, $10 bribes go far when Henry writes!! Awesome! :cool: That was THE time for an exploding die roll!

I recall thinking to myself as I had Verc running around the edge of the last room hoping not to get killed on the way, "I hope we limit ourselves to one death, as my one focus toy that resurrects is in my pack" and then after many long rounds of not killing that witch went by, I was starting to feel like the next year's comments would be around the lameness of attacking that Verc and Brandis showed. Then at the end, I sort of re-remembered the Tears and was happy to note we only suffered one loss! Yay! After some talk about how parties rarely get through OO's games without a casualty, we could technically finish whole!

hoorah! It was a very fun time and I got to learn the BCCS magic system.

Old One

First Post
Henry said:
If there's one request I would make of Old One for this next Faded Glory game, it would be:

REST!

Please?

:)

Rest? You're kidding, right?

Well...I will say that there might be an opportunity to rest...but then again ;)!

~ OO

Remove ads