FADED GLORY: The Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion (FINISHED!)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Brandis struggled up the steps to follow. The rest were busy slitting throats of the wounded, or binding their own injuries, and did not immediately follow. That changed as Myrwyn made her discovery.

She peered through the curtain’s part, certain she would find the end of this mission and success. What she found curdled her blood. Beyond lay another chamber, smaller than the war-room, but merely a continuation of the hall at the top of the stairs. At its far end, she made out yet a THIRD Fire Witch! Is there no end?

The woman sat in a throne or ornate chair, attached to the far wall, and above her sat embedded two marvelous Black Gems, the size of her fist, pulsating with power. Between her and the Witch, however, was coalescing something from the very ether, a thing of nightmares. A Scorpion of enormous size, some 60 hands long and the height of an elephant, was materializing, and should it be finished, so were they!

Myrwyn screamed. “TO ARMS! CHAAARGE!” Steeling herself she raced across the room, but not before the ethereal scorpion could become solid and note her presence. Before a single ally could help, she was snatched and grabbed by a titanic claw.

Brandis took the distraction to use his magic Dust of Neverwhere, and slipped inside; there was no way he would risk being a target. Just as he made it halfway to the witch in the throne, Myrwyn was grabbed, crying in pain. There was nothing he could do to help her against this thing – but if he could catch the witch by surprise, then they stood a chance.

Boldric, bloody and bellowing, charged in. When he caught sight of the giant vermin, it did not faze him; as Brandis would joke, Boldric in his rage would charge the god Uriel the Damned. He simply charged straight to the biggest source of danger, the Scorpion, and let loose. His mighty glaive struck – and made the barest scratch. A blow that could pierce steel and flesh and bone, merely grazed the Scorpion’s chitin. In ducked Maxian, calling Myrwyn’s name and hacking with all his might. No avail.

In charged a remnant of the battle group. The Emorian troops were tired, so tired, and when they saw what they faced, any lesser army would have yielded to despair. However, it is said, Emorians are a stoic lot. Faced by constant attacks, the ever-present threat of invasion, loss of their borders, these troops shouldered the burden, and once again became the crack troops they were born to be. It did not matter, however, for as they moved in, the monster vermin stung, hacked, and chopped them to bits, one at the time, as their steel made little mark on it.

Antonius was nowhere to be seen. Having been spent, all he had strength to do was look on from the rear. He was last of the war wizards, and reduced to readying his crossbow, looking for an opening. Commander Varus fared little better. He ordered his men in, but did not approach himself. Whether it was fear or injury that held him back, none could say.

Vercinius, however, was not ready for surrender. The stalwart old priest hugged the walls, carefully moving past the pitched battle, totally unnoticed by the creature. Ever closer, he moved to challenge the witch, her eyes radiating dark power. At least she doesn’t notice –

The seated Witch jumped to her feet, readying a staff, her eyes still a hellish glow, still controlling the beast, still channeling the artifacts’ power...

Henry

Autoexreginated
One note about the updates: Due to both the fog of time since the game, and due to making a better story, some details may be changed from the original; for instance, commander Varus MAY have made his way to risk his neck at the front. However, I (1) don't remember him being described up there, and (2) he was alive at the end, and had little input in the rest of the events. (Varus was a GM's NPC anyway, and was the Hand, nay, the Whip of Plot that helped us keep focused on the mission, as we kidded Old One about after the game.) ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
“AAAAAAAHHH!” the Osirian priest screamed, his mace coming in high. He was blocked by the swift staff, and he knew this was not going to be easy.

Maxian hacked away. “MYRWYN!” The half-fey woman was writhing in pain, blood pouring, struggling uselessly as the pincer continued to bisect. Maxian slammed home another strike, thews bursting – and the scorpion reacted. SNAP! Catching Maxian unawares, it lifted him and he, too, was caught in a death-grip, sharing Myrwyn’s fate. The last Emorian guardsman dangled nearby, like a ragdoll hanging from the scorpion’s stinger in a parody of a dance before being flung free.

Vercinius was in for the fight of his life. It was not a superior combatant who threatened him; it was that if he could not finish this witch, he, his companions, and Emor’s hopes were dashed in this dark pit, far from the front. He would counter-strike, she would deflect; she would misdirect, he would guard; he tried to draw close, and she would not take the bait. Damn you, witch, fall! She came close to cold-cocking him with a underhanded blow, and he realized he had to be more careful.

Then, he saw salvation, in the form of a shifty little Halfling, winking into existence at the witch’s flank. Brandis Tollheart jabbed at the witch with an evil glee that Vercinius had never seen before. Never fight a Halfling when death is on the line, the saying went, and Vercinius never understood it, until he saw Brandis probing the witch’s defenses like some crazed giant hornet. She caught sight of her new attacker, but his cuts were telling. She was trapped, and her dreams of Sythia were dying before her.

These three did not catch the snapping sound from the claw holding Myrwyn; nor did they hear the final grunt from her tortured body. They further did not see her limp body give up the struggle.

Boldric DID see. Boldric saw even more red; his glaive began to hammer away, piledriving a wicked elegant glaive like the crudest maul, opening welts in the chitin of the beast. He would hammer and hammer and HAMMER until he or this thing died.

The witch, too close to defeat, moved quickly to try and separate herself. All she needed was the breathing room for one incantation, one spell, and she could snatch victory. Vercinius would not let her get the chance. Osirian, he half-prayed, I have been your servant. I have faced death repeatedly in your name, just as you once did, and here I stand. Give me one gift, that others may live.

He closed his eyes. And he struck. He trusted, and struck.

Henry

Autoexreginated
This comes to the Action Point Use of the Year. In Riggs' words, "As I recall, Brandis hit her again, but she was not quite out, then Verc hit and same but I rolled a 6 on the action point [which explodes in Grim Tales] and rolled a 5 and that did it, all drama on the western front."

Antonius was completely and utterly OUT of spells at this point; he had IIRC 49 hit points, but FORTY-SEVEN nonlethal damage from spellcasting, and the equivalent armor and battle skill of one of the tunica rubra Emorian soldiers who followed us. ;)

Boldric was doing some damage, though not much if I recall, and it was clear that the Fire Witch was the key to it all by a few rounds in.

And finally....

Henry

Autoexreginated
He struck hard. The Sythian Witch would swear for that last instant of her life that she had blocked the blow, would swear that there was no way it got past her, and smashed her face, and….

Brandis stood in awe. Gods we’re going to die we’re going to die watch out for that staff watch out for that tail we’re going to die we’re going to… live?

So much was undone, suddenly. The power of the black gems faded; the scorpion faded back to mist, then to nothing. Maxian sprawled to the ground, Myrwyn dumped lifelessly. Boldric screamed triumph, then fell over. Antonius just gaped. He’d never fired a shot, and suddenly, their hopelessness was changed to victory.

Vercinius and Maxian worked quickly, minding the wounded. But one wounded was beyond hope. Maxian grabbed the body of his comrade in arms, checked her vital signs. “She is gone! Vercinius, can you help her? She is gone!”

The priest checked her carefully. She was gone.

The spark of life was fled, but…

He still had a chance. Swiftly, he pulled a small phial from his belt. The liquid within both at once had purple and silver sheen, rarest of magic draughts, entrusted to him for this mission – the Tears of Mortiana. “This draught may – MAY – bring back the dead. Pray to all the gods of the Church of Light that it works in time.” If Commander Varus, hanging in the background, had any reservations about using this on the Caeldyn woman, he kept them to himself.

Vercinius administered the draught; it poured like smoke or light more than liquid, and Myrwyn was still unmoving.

A glimmer of light, faint, escaped her. Then her body spasmed, as the horrid sound of joints and bones RENDING back into place startled even the battle-hardened folk present. Myrwyn coughed blood, shook once, and BREATHED. Then she laid back, still. Vercinius seemed the only one pleased at the outcome, quickly calling on his god and forcing the last of his reserves into her.

“She will live. She will live.”

Brandis simply knelt by and held the bloody hand of his friend, helpless and exhausted.

EPILOGUE

The remaining Emorian strike team beat a hasty retreat from the Sythian base. The wounded who could not walk were carried; the dead were burned on a hasty pyre, their valorous souls commended to the gods for their part that day. Two fabulous black gems, faintly pulsing with power, were swaddled in sacks and cloths, safely in tow. The gems slept, their horrid power dormant for now. If a jewel could be sentient, perhaps these would be content to bide their time and wait… It sensed power from its procurers, and sensed just a bit of taint from one or two as well… It would have a chance to show its charms, and perhaps shime again as it did… and the dark might of the Demon Scorpion might yet show its face under a different master – an Emorian one…

Finis

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Yay!! I can stop compounding the interest on the debt I owe Wulf!! ;)

Good job, Henry. It's funny that even though I was there, I read each line with a drumbeat of "Yeah, and THEN what happened?!" going through the back of my mind.

And as for the victory that our heroes pulled off...I give full credit to the Peck! ;)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
[wiping away tears]

Very nice.

You know, color me prejudiced, but you just don't get this kind of action out of vanilla D&D.

Long live grim and gritty.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Wulf Ratbane said:
[wiping away tears]

Very nice.

You know, color me prejudiced, but you just don't get this kind of action out of vanilla D&D.

Long live grim and gritty.

The extra good news is that we're going to get a chance to play in Old One's world (with his own unique blend of Black Company and Grim Tales) in just a few weeks at the January Game Day.

Feel free to drop on down if you'd like to attend. I've still got a spot left in my basement!

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm looking for a spot in Old One's game anyway when it opens, but if Wulf came in, I'd have to start mailing bribes to Old one for a spot at the table. :D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Henry said:
I'm looking for a spot in Old One's game anyway when it opens, but if Wulf came in, I'd have to start mailing bribes to Old one for a spot at the table. :D

I'm really not that interesting at the table. If you've read Wulf's Story Hour you've pretty much seen every trick I have to offer. I'm one of those guys who pretty much just plays himself.

Ummm... not that I'm a sociopathic megalomaniac with an insatiable desire to kick people's teeth down their throat.

Just that... you know... given the right circumstances... I would be.

So, anyway, where and when's the Game Day?

Remove ads