• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First D&D "Extra Life" Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Preview

full donation prieview list. $25,000 : Preface $50,000 : Table of Contents $60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade $70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter $80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind $90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits. $100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to...

full donation prieview list.

$25,000 : Preface
$50,000 : Table of Contents
$60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade
$70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
$80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind
$90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits.
$100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

gyor

Legend
I think Chapter 1 & 2 will almost entirely be fluff, except a deity list with domains which is sort of crunchy, and 3 will be half crunch and half race based fluff, 4 will be 75% crunch, and 25% class based fluff, and chapter 5 will be the fluffy crunch of backgrounds, so despite 3 chapters leaning towards crunch, I think fluff will dominate the book.

My ratios could be entirely off. I also hope stuff like Genasi, Aasmir, Goliaths, are mentioned in the fluff, even if the thier crunch is provided elsewhere.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I really wish they'd stop revisiting the same regions over and over. There so much information on these regions and so little elsewhere, if at all. Why have a world so big and not cover every part of it if even a little? There are still parts to this game world uncovered. It's disappointing to think I'll be in my grave by the time I get big regional info on Sossal or Veldorn or even an updated Kara-Tur or Maztica. Depressing.

Be not dpressed my friend, there is a vast library of FR products out there, many for 2e and 3e, which are very much usable. Remember, 5e is about economy, not quantity. 5e is about quality, not splat-tification. Plus its fun to update these great products for 5e, as a DM it gives me so much joy to bring a setting up to date, on my terms :)

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I'm a huge Realms fan, of the entire setting and the many sourcebooks and adventures. However, I'm happy if they keep the Realms detail localized to the Sword Coast/Heartlands. This makes it a lot easier to release primary play zones across D&Ds many settings instead of the full setting grind of sourcebook releases. I'd rather beloved additional areas be released in online articles and/or free PDFs.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I don't think so. You have to be a blade lock to get the extra attack and the Charisma rider.

As a cantrip though I would assume that it would scale like other cantrips and increase in either damage or number of attacks to keep up with the other cantrips.

I understand that, but until we see the cantrip we don't know. I personally hope it's on most of the lists, bard, warlock, wizard should all have it and it should be evocation so eldritch knight can take it...

I'm not going to fret about it since I haven't seen any mechanics for it yet. But any cantrip which lets you create a magical weapon-like effect and attack with it goes a long way towards making an already 2nd tier class path drop even further.

Now, a bonus action cast to add some damage to a weapon attack would be usable by all and not step on the toes of the blade-lock at all.

I guess we'll know when we know.

I suspect the Mastermind is a Rogue that uses Int as a secondary and has some from of a criminal gang to back it up. It could go into the group tactics route like a warlord, or it could just have a bunch of abilities built along having a lot secret allies and contacts.

I wonder how close I got when I made up my own cantrip for my game...
green flame blade is a bonus action useable when you hit with a melee attack. All adjacent creatures except yourself to the target you hit with the melee attack make a dex save DC 9+ your str or int +your prof Dex save for half...
1d4+ str or int + weapon enchant
at level 5 2d4
at level 11 3d4+str+int+weapon enchant
at level 15 4d4
at level 20 5d4

Remove ads

Remove ads