• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First D&D "Extra Life" Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Preview

full donation prieview list. $25,000 : Preface $50,000 : Table of Contents $60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade $70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter $80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind $90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits. $100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to...

full donation prieview list.

$25,000 : Preface
$50,000 : Table of Contents
$60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade
$70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
$80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind
$90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits.
$100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I really wish they'd stop revisiting the same regions over and over. There so much information on these regions and so little elsewhere, if at all. Why have a world so big and not cover every part of it if even a little? There are still parts to this game world uncovered. It's disappointing to think I'll be in my grave by the time I get big regional info on Sossal or Veldorn or even an updated Kara-Tur or Maztica. Depressing.
Personally, I prefer this approach. Let them focus on a specific region or two in great detail for their canon sourcebooks. Give the rest of the Realms a more general overview showing the current state of affairs but otherwise leave it alone for homebrew use. The original grey box more of less did that with a focus on the Dales (IIRC) and now WotC is using the Sword Coast. This gives lots of detail for their own adventures and the organized play stuff, whcih I can totally see form a business POV.

Ideally, they DO move on to other settings using a similar approach. Note that the preview does say "...the Forgotten Realms became the setting for the FIRST adventures for fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons ." (emphasis mine) That gives me hope that they will eventually give us something else.

The funny thing is, I actually plan to get the product for the 5e crunch (since I don't use the 5e Forgotten Realms), but I prefer the book not to have very much of that crunch, because I dislike the bloat.

Irennan

Explorer
The funny thing is, I actually plan to get the product for the 5e crunch (since I don't use the 5e Forgotten Realms), but I prefer the book not to have very much of that crunch, because I dislike the bloat.

We will see how much of it is crunch in the table of contents, which should be coming soon.

Irennan

Explorer
Here it is: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_ToC_2k33.pdf

It looks like the lore to crunch ratio will be more like 60/40, which could be fine. It looks like they included some general updates on the whole Faerun (5 pages dedicated to Toril and its lands), and they did go heavy on the gods (I mean, wow: 20 pages dedicated just to them, which will probably mean that every deity will get a couple lines of update).

Dargrimm

First Post
For the preface they should've mentioned Darkwalker on Moonshae which was the first Forgotten Realms novel ever released instead of The Crystal Shard. I mean, I loved The Crystal Shard but Darkwalker on Moonshae was the first novel I read based on the Forgotten Realms way back in 1988 so it has a sweet spot on my heart.

Remove ads

Remove ads