• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full - Waiting for complete characters] Loex’edar: The Dragon War

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Wrahn said:
I have two suggestions, first remove the +6 Con from the amulet of supremacy (which you may want to rename as it is also the name of an artifact in the Draconomicon) and replace it with:

Pectoral Stud of Health +6 36,000 (Shirts have the attunement of physical improvement and as per the Draconomincon (pg 24) are interchangeable with Pectoral Studs)
Hm, good idea. That also saves me 18k gp, giving me ~90k to play with. But Amulets have the "protection, discernment" attunement. They're not necessarily interchangeable.

And I couldn't think for a name for the item I was making. I had called it "Amulet of Natural Might" or something but then couldn't do "Amulet of Health and Natural Might"... it sounded weird. I guess I chose too good a name. :uhoh:
Wrahn said:
My second suggestion, unless you have a specific desire for Weapon Focus: Claws, I would replace it with Improved Multiattack (Draconomicon pg 70), it is twice as effective.
Weapon Focus (Claws) syngergizes with Sense Weakness. I do up to 5 points more damage per hit on each claw attack to things with DR. I think that's better than a +2 to hit.
Wrahn said:
As for how to spend the remaining gold, well it depends on what you are looking to do, if you want to improve your combat effectiveness, you will get a bigger bang for your buck by increasing the amulet of Mighty fist (55,000gp will get +2 Strength, +27,000 gold will have the same end result with the amulet)

Seperating the amulet from the necklace (moving the Natural Armor bonus to a Cloak (or a Frill Stud which can be used as a cloak (attunement: Protection)) and making the Amulet of supremacy just an amulet of Mighty Fists, using the remaining gold to make it the biggest bonus you can (88,000 by my estimation which is +3 for the amulet for 54,000, the +4 is 96k) is going to be more damage for you in the long run than the manuals.
I forgot about improving the Amulet of Mighty Fists bit, so I might do that. I'd need GM approval, though, to change the Amulet of Health into a shirt and to change the Nat Armor bonus to a cloak.

Jdvn1

Nonlethal Force said:
Well, if you look at Flitterdust you'll notice that I did decide to go with the manuals for two different stats. I figure they are permanent increases rather than an increase that could be seperated from my character through a sunder attempt or an antimagic field. I figured that with as powerful of creatures that we were playing with - I'd spend the extra money and go for the permanent boosts myself. Mya dvice would be to go with a manual for that very reason ... even if it is costly. Just remember you are paying for longevity of the bonus, too.
That's true. I always avoid buying manuals, though, until I can get the +5 manual, since they don't stack. It seems like a waste of a lesser manual otherwise. At least, that's my gut reaction.

That is a good point about Sunder and AMF, though.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
That's true. I always avoid buying manuals, though, until I can get the +5 manual, since they don't stack. It seems like a waste of a lesser manual otherwise. At least, that's my gut reaction.

Very true. Althoug I typically buy the +4 variety instead of the +5. That gets me two full modifier increase and saves a bit of money. But either way, I understand your point and dilemma.

Although with your savings you are coming closer to the price for a +4 manual.

Jdvn1

Jdvn1 said:
Hm, good idea. That also saves me 18k gp, giving me ~90k to play with. But Amulets have the "protection, discernment" attunement. They're not necessarily interchangeable.

I'd need GM approval, though, to change the Amulet of Health into a shirt and to change the Nat Armor bonus to a cloak.
Could I have some GM input on this?

scout989

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Could I have some GM input on this?

Good timing- AmorFati and I just got done discussing this. We both pretty much feel that if youy can make a good case for an item fitting a slot, you can have it- we both like to have custom items floating around, and it particularly fits the flavor of this campaign (for reasons that will become obvious).

LordWyrm- couple of things, then Thric will be ready to transfer to the RG thread: first, your BAB is calculated a point high (it should be +14), and secondly, you need to calculate saves.

Jemal- aside from the issues that Wrahn pointed out, all that's left for you to do now is to pick skills and languages, then you'll also be ready to transfer

Everyone else- I have yet to go over the character's mechanics in detail (cause there are a lot of mechanics with these characters!), but I'll try to do that within the next 48 hours- which is likely still going to be before AmorFati gets all problems fixed. Sorry about the delay, we'll try to get this off the ground ASAP.

Jemal

Adventurer
It's been hard for me to get online lately, sorry.

Wrahn said:
I apologize in advance, I am avoiding doing homework for a class I am taking, so I am looking at other stuff to distract me. I noticed a few small mechanical problems in your character Jemal:

Young Silvers have +12 Natural Armor, not +17
True, but it's due to advancement per HD, I'm a young silver with several extra HD.

Bite Damage is Str + enchancement so +15 (unless I am missing something with the Jaws)

Claw plus to hit should only be +20 (you have the mods right but the total wrong)
don't know what i messed up there..
I don't see in your magic items where you get the +6 enhancement bonus to charisma
hmm... neither do I.
Where are you getting immunity to Acid from?

Silver dragons are immune to Cold and Acid

I am guessing that you are not done with skills, but, you need 3 Knowledge skills to get the Draconic Knowledge Feat. Also (stupidly) Spellcraft is not a class (race) skill for Dragons.
about Knowledge: I know. About Spellcraft: it's not? I'll have to check the draconomicon for the skill lists then.

Wrahn

First Post
Jemal said:
True, but it's due to advancement per HD, I'm a young silver with several extra HD.

I looked for rules for that (at the time I posted actually) never saw anything that would indicate that Natural armor progresses per hit dice rather than per age catagory.

Still a Juvenile silver Dragon only has 15 natural Armor and a young adult only has 18, 17 natural armor seems a little high.

Jemal said:
Silver dragons are immune to Cold and Acid

You are indeed correct (which is odd)

Jemal said:
about Knowledge: I know. About Spellcraft: it's not? I'll have to check the draconomicon for the skill lists then.

Look at monster manual pg 69, under skills.

scout989

First Post
Wrahn said:
I looked for rules for that (at the time I posted actually) never saw anything that would indicate that Natural armor progresses per hit dice rather than per age catagory.

Still a Juvenile silver Dragon only has 15 natural Armor and a young adult only has 18, 17 natural armor seems a little high.
I haven't seen anything official on that score either, but every true dragon variety I remember seeing in MMs I & II has natural armor= HD-1, so I'm going to say that is a reasonable house rule.
Edit: just to be absolutely clear, this only applies to racial HD ;)

Last edited:

scout989 said:
I haven't seen anything official on that score either, but every true dragon variety I remember seeing in MMs I & II has natural armor= HD-1, so I'm going to say that is a reasonable house rule.
Edit: just to be absolutely clear, this only applies to racial HD ;)
Does this mean I get to bump Luminous' nat armor from +8 to +13? Yay!

Remove ads