• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen (full)

Forged Fury

First Post
Here's an idea for how we got from Scornubel to Greenest. Carad would have set Scree (his familiar owl) to monitor the dragons (from a safe distance) while the party fled. Although most of the dragons dispersed, one particular one seemed to head in the direction where Greenest lay. After the party had rested sufficiently, they decided to head in that direction to uncover the mystery of the dragon attack.
[/url]

That works, I just figured we were picking up the pieces. We may have hired on as caravan guards heading toward Amn/Tethyr, which would put us on the road to Greenest. I figure we'd all be a little shell-shocked after the dragon attack and might not necessarily be hungry for vengeance just yet. But I'm down for whatever.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Alright, we've got the frame of a story here. At this point, I'm going to exercise DM fiat to shape it a little. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for dragons, but we've got too many floating around right now. Dragons aren't noted for being social beasts, so multiple multi-dragon attacks within a few years would be more than a little notable. Up until now, things have been quietly escalating.

So the Black Tide Company was hired to find the leader of a group of bandits, a half-dragon named Rezmir. Recently an armed group that had been spotted launching raids from the Hill of Lost Souls area, which was believed to be their target. Once they reached the area, the company moved to engage the bandits, but were ambushed by a dragon from the hill. Staying well out of any danger, the dragon was nonetheless able to break the company, bathing huge swaths of the battlefield in fire. The bandits swept through the remaining force, and then quit the field, moving out to the south.

Morgan was one of the few survivors of the main force, and was able to round up a few stragglers that hadn't been caught up. Venn was wandering aimlessly through the desolation, seemingly untouched. Carad and Hunter had been scouting the edges of the field. Battered and scorched, these four made their way to Scornubel.

Meanwhile . . . to the south. Several years ago, there was a small wood elf settlement in the Woods of the Sharp Teeth. They had incorporated some old ruins into their village, including some with strange inscriptions and murals. One night, their peace was shattered in fire and steel as raiders attacked the village. They seemed more intent on driving the elves from the ruins than actual theft or bloodshed. Jeni and the other survivors made their way southeast to Greenest. Some of the refuges have settled down there, some have left to other corners of the world. One of the elves, known to Jeni, is a monk named Leosin Erlanthar. He is a scholar and traveler. He keeps leaving Greenest, trying to find the truth behind the attack and the ruins. He believes something is coming and has sent Jeni to Scornubel with a note for Alistair Cavendish. He has heard that the Black Tide hunts the half-dragon Rezmir and believes their causes may be linked. However, when Jeni arrives in town, she finds only a few Black Tide left.

Hopefully that doesn't step on anyone's toes too much.
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] now we just need to fit you in here.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, turns out that one of my local players wants to run this very module while our current DM takes a break. I don't want to split my efforts, so I'm going to bow out here and let the Black Tide ride free. :)

Good luck, everyone. I've heard this adventure is _rough_.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Well, turns out that one of my local players wants to run this very module while our current DM takes a break. I don't want to split my efforts, so I'm going to bow out here and let the Black Tide ride free. :)

Good luck, everyone. I've heard this adventure is _rough_.
Thanks for letting us know, and good luck in your other game.

I think the adventure is rough, too. Which is why everyone is level 3 already :D

As far as our party is concerned, I think I'll leave it at 5. We've got a good mix: Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Druid, Warlock. I'll get a Rogues Gallery up later, and then we'll review and polish characters, give Skarsgard a chance to get back into the country, and aim to get started next Monday.

Remove ads