• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hanable's Hunters (OOC) - Always accepting Alts

Bront

The man with the probe
I'll read up on Domain wizards, not sure what Cosmo does (Don't have access to that book). Fill me on in Cosmo.

D20Dazza

Explorer
And here is Whitlok's stats. I think he is done (besides his background). I too am a newbie to PbP and don't know how to do fancy spoliers and tables so you're just getting him straight up ;-D> Let me know if there are any hassles.

Cheers

Daz

Whitlok ir’Khasamenn

Dwarf Ranger 4/Extreme Explorer 1 (XP 10,000) Alignment: CG
Height: 4'8" Weight: 167lbs. Age: 58
hair: black, blonde streaks eyes: blue skin: dark, dusty
Region of Origin: Mror Holds
Action Points: 9 (d8)

STR 16 +3
DEX 16 +3
CON 13 +1 (+2 racial)
INT 15 +2
WIS 14 +2 (+1 4th level)
CHA 8 –1 (-2 racial)

HP: 36 (8 + HERE + 5 con)
Init: +3

BAB/Grapple: +4/+7
Speed: 20ft

Urgosh Axe Head (+1): +8 or +6 (fighting two handed) – 1d8+1+3
Urgosh Spiked End: +7 or +5 (fighting two handed) – 1d6+3
Light Cross Bow Shock: +7 – 1d8 + 1d6 (electrical)
Heavy Mace: +7 – 1d8+3
Dagger: +7 1d4+3

+1 vs orcs and goblinoids

ACP: -1 (masterwork)
AC: 18 (+1 chain shirt; +3 Dex)
Touch/Flatfooted: 13/15

+4 dodge vs Giants

Fort: +5 (+2 vs poison)
Ref: +9
Will: +3 (+2 vs spells and spell like abilities and effects)

Skills:
Balance 3 (1 rank, DEX bonus, -1 ACP)
Climb 5 (3 ranks, STR bonus, -1 ACP)
Disable Device 3 (1 rank, INT bonus)
Handle Animal 2 (3 ranks, CHR bonus)
Hide 7 (5 ranks, DEX bonus, -1 ACP)
Jump 6 (4 ranks, STR bonus, -1 ACP)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 6 (4 ranks, INT bonus)
Knowledge (Geography) 5 (3 ranks, INT bonus)
Knowledge (Nature) 6 (4 ranks, INT bonus)
Knowledge (History) 3 (1 rank, INT bonus)
Listen 6 (4 ranks, WIS bonus)
Move Silently 7 (5 ranks, DEX bonus, -1 ACP)
Open Lock 4 (1 rank, DEX bonus)
Search 6 (4 ranks, INT bonus)
Spot (4 ranks, WIS bonus)
Survival 9 (7 ranks, WIS bonus)
Swim 6 (3 ranks, STR bonus)
Tumble 4 (2 ranks, DEX bonus, -1 ACP)
Use Magic Device 1 (2 ranks, CHR bonus)
Use Rope 6 (3 ranks, DEX bonus)

+2 racial check on appraise and craft for metal or stone items
+2 racial bonus to search stone

Languages: Common, Dwarf, Undercommon, Orc.

Feats:
Aberrant Dragonmark – Pass Without Trace
Action Boost
Endurance (class ability)
Two Weapon Fighting (Combat Style class ability)

Abilities:
Racial
Darkvision 60’
Stonecunning
Weapon Famililarity (Dwarf War Axe and Urgosh)
Stability

Ranger
Favoured Enemy – Aurum
Track
Wild Empathy
Combat Style (noted under feats)
Endurance (noted under feats)
Animal Companion – badger

Extreme Explorer
Additional Action Points
Trap Sense +1

Deity: Balinor
Spells: (1 1st bonus spell)

1-lvl spells (DC13)
Speak with Animals

Items:
Chain Shirt +1 (1250gp)
Urgosh +1 (Axe head) (2650gp)
Hewards Handy Havesack (2000gp)
Light Crossbow Shock (2335gp)
4 Potions Cure Light Wounds (200gp)
Potion Jump (50gp)
Potion Mage Armour (50gp)
Dagger
Heavy Mace
40 Crossbow Bolts

Hewards Handy Havesack (5 lbs)
Centre Pocket (80lbs)
Winter Blanket
Grappling Hook
Bullseye Lantern
Miners Pick
50’ Silk Rope
Shovel
Tent
Bedroll
Crowbar
Hammer
7 Days Iron Rations
2 Waterskins

Right Pocket (15 lbs – 5 remaining)
Cold Weather Outfit
Explorers Outfit
Identification Papers, with Portrait

Left Pocket (12 lbs – 8 remaining)
5 Candles
3 Map Cases
3 Fishhooks
2 Empty Flasks
Flint and Steel
Small Steel Mirror
Clay Tankard
Sewing Needle
Whetstone
Climbers Kit

Total wt: 59 lbs.

Monies: 30gp

DIGGA

Badger (small animal)
HD: 1d8+2 (do you want to roll this or can he have max?)
Spd: 30' (6 squares); Burrow 10' (2 squares)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +3 dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +0/-5
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melle (1d2-1) and bite -1 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Rage
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Link, Share Spell
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Escape Artist +7, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: rack, Weapon Finesse
Tricks: Guard

Digga is an old badger, his fur has largely turned white and is quite long and shaggy compared to the normal badger. He is lazy and likes to eat and sleep. He is faithful though and respects Whitlok. They work well together although Whitlok is afraid that Digga is reaching the end of hid life, he seems to be sleeping more and disappearing for stretches at a time.

Last edited:

Prof Yeti

First Post
Bront said:
I'll read up on Domain wizards, not sure what Cosmo does (Don't have access to that book). Fill me on in Cosmo.

Cosmopolitan Feat from FRCS.
Your exposure to the thousands forking paths of the city has taught you things you ordinarily would never have uncovered.
Region - Amn or Waterdeep (The character is from Fairhaven [capital] in Aundair)
Benefit - Choose a nonexclusive skill you do not have as a class skill. You gain a +2 bonus on all checks with that skill, and that skill is always considered a class skill for you.
Special - You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a new skill.

Also for your perusal - Are the Paragon classes available from Unearthed Arcana? If they are available then the Cosmo Feat is a moot subject for me.

But I would be changing the character to Paragon 3/Wizard 2

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
The paragon classes are fine.

Cosmo is Fine

Domain Wizard seems like you gain an extra spell and cast it better and give up nothing from the normal wizard. If you're willing to give up the Familiar ability, I'd allow it though.

Prof Yeti

First Post
Bront said:
The paragon classes are fine.

Cosmo is Fine

Domain Wizard seems like you gain an extra spell and cast it better and give up nothing from the normal wizard. If you're willing to give up the Familiar ability, I'd allow it though.

Great! I have always wanted to try the class.

Okay.

Yeah I had just reread it and noticed there was no down side. I will have to think about the giving up of the familiar as I had thought to take an advanced familiar at next level.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'll allow you to give up one school (non-divination) instead (I'm flexable). Just make sure none of your domain spells are part of that school.

Prof Yeti

First Post
I think I will just stick with a straight wizard. (I kinda like their versatility) So officially here goes (and I will get the background finished by the end of the day).

Stat Set - 2
Human Dragonmarked Paragon 3/ Wizard 2

How do you handle Familiars? Does the player need to catch them? Or do they come like with a summoning?

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
A familiar is a magical beast that resembles an animal (Just like it reads in the text). More advanced familiars I might RP out finding them, but if you already have the feat, just play it out a bit in your background.

For a more advanced familiar, it is probably more like a calling than a summoning. At some time durring the full day ritual, the familiar you are trying to call finds it's way to you.

And, occasionaly, a familiar finds you. Those familiars are generaly special, and you won't need a feat to get it, you need DM intervention. Class is not a limiting factor in those cases though (Not likely to happen).

Prof Yeti

First Post
Sounds good. Haven't decided whether to just take a familiar now or one of the Improved ones next level or beyond. (One of my hardest parts to decide for some reason - grin)

Well here is some background for the Wizard.

I have added my stats and equipment for the character.

Marek Tolin d'Cannith

Human Paragon 3/Wizard 2 (XP 10,000)
Alignment: NG
Sex: Male
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 166lbs.
Hair: Dark Red
Eye's: Blue (Pale)
Skin: Caucasion

(Set 2)
STR 10 +0
DEX 16 +3
CON 12 +1 (+1 4th)
INT 18 +4 (+2 Paragon)
WIS 13 +1
CHA 15 +2

HP: 31 (8 (d8)+ 4 (d4)+ 4 (d8)+ 8 (d8)+ 2 (d4)) [+5 Con]

BAB/Grapple: +3/+3
Speed: 30ft

AC: 15 (Dex +3/ Bracers +1/Ring +1)
Touch/Flatfooted: 15 / 12

Fort: +2 (Con +1/ Paragon +1/ Wizard +0)
Ref: +4 (Dex +3/ Paragon +1/ Wizard +0)
Will: +7 (Wis +1/ Paragon +3/ Wizard +3)

Skills:
Climb* +5 (5 Ranks/ 0 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Concentration +5 (4 Ranks/ 1 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Craft (Alchemy) +5 (1 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Decipher Script* +9 (5 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Diplomacy*[AL] +11 (7 Ranks/ 2 Stat/ 2 Bonus)
Jump* +5 (5 Ranks/ 0 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Know - Arcana* +9 (5 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Know - History +5 (1 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Know - Nobility/Royalty +5 (1 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Know - Planes +5 (1 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Listen* +6 (5 Ranks/ 1 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Search* +9 (5 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Sense Motive* +6 (5 Ranks/ 1 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Spellcraft +8 (2 Ranks/ 4 Stat/ 2 Bonus)
Spot* +6 (5 Ranks/ 1 Stat/ 0 Bonus)
Swim* +5 (5 Ranks/ 0 Stat/ 0 Bonus)

* = Denotes Human Paragon Skill
AL = Denotes Adaptive Learning Skill

Languages:
Common
Draconic
Dwarven
Elven

Feats:
1st - Point Blank Shot
Human - Least Dragonmark (of Making)
2nd - Bonus Wizard Scribe Scroll
Summon Familiar
3rd - Improved Familiar
Bonus Paragon Precise Shot

Abilities:
Human Traits (+4 Skill Points at Lvl 1, Bonus Feat at Lvl 1, +1 Skill Point/ Lvl)

Deity: Aureon
Spells: (0 - 4/ 1 - 3+1/ 2 - 2+1)

Memorized -
0-lvl spells
Detect Magic x2
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

1-lvl spells
Color Spray
Magic Missile x2
Shield

2-lvl spells
Knock
Scorching Ray
Web

Spells Known -
0 Lvl
All

1st Lvl
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Languages
Feather Fall
Identify
Magic Missile
Magic Weapon
Shield

2nd Lvl
Knock
Scorching Ray
Summon Monster II
Web

Items:

# Item T Cost T Weight
Black Explorer Outfit Free Free
Quarterstaff 0 4.0
2 Dagger 4.00 2.0

Pouch 1.00 0.5

Bandolier [MW] - 12 5.00 0.5
Flint/Steel 1.00 0.0
Whetstone 0.02 1.0
10 Chalk 0.10 0.0
6 Candle 0.06 0.0
ID Paper w/ Portrait 5.00 0.0
Travel Papers 0.20 0.0

Potion Belt [MW] - 10 60.00 1.0
10 Potion of Cure Light Wounds 500.00 1.0

Heward’s Handy Haversack 2,000.00 5.0
3 LP - Water Skin 3.00 12.0
6 LP - Trail Rations 3.00 6.0
LP - Mess Kit 0.60 1.0
2 CP - Explorer Outfit 20.00 16.0
CP - Bedroll 0.10 5.0
RP - Silk Rope – 50’ 10.00 5.0
RP - Grappling Hook 1.00 4.0
RP - Scroll Case 1.00 0.5
6 RP - Sun Rod 12.00 6.0
3 RP - Sack 0.30 1.5
RP - Spellbook Free 3.0

Ring of Feather Fall 2,200.00
Ring of Protection +1 2,000.00
Bracers of Armor +1 1,000.00 1.0
Continual Flame Torch 110.00 1.0
Wand of Detect Magic 375.00 1.0

Used in Spellbook
Scroll of Knock 150.00
Scroll of Scorching Ray 150.00
Scroll of Summon Monster II 150.00
Scroll of Web 150.00

Equip Cost 8,912.38
Cash on Hand 87.62

[sblock]
Background
The gnome couldn’t have been more polite in asking his questions. And yet at the same time I could think of nothing else more annoying. I knew it wasn’t his fault but mine; well technically it was Kyros Gedris’ fault. But he was dead and there wasn’t anything else I could reasonably do to him now.

The gnome coughed trying to bring me back to the conversation, while creating my new documents. This time I will have them create a spare set of identification papers. He seemed to read back the information gleefully ignorant of my darkening mood. I just hope this doesn’t make me late to the meeting with Master Hanable.

“Your name is Marek Tolin d’Cannith, correct?” the Gnome stated.

“Yes” (This is taking far to long)

“Height five foot ten inches and weight one hundred and sixty five pounds” the Gnome continued.

“Yes” (I think he is enjoying this way to much) [glowering]

“And I have made note of your red hair (dark, shoulder-length) and blue eye (ice pale), and the location/description of your Dragonmark, so with the other information we should be just about finished. Just have to wait for the portrait.” He said with a smaile.

“What portrait?” [My stomach dropping]

“Palin’ message said you would want the full treatment, that is the reason for the detailed questions, otherwise we would have finished an hour ago.” Talking as if I were a small child.

“Thank you Master Scribe, I will be sure to thank Uncle Palin at my first opportunity.” (My loving family! If only I was an orphan. This day is just going from bad to worse. First finding that the girl is engaged. Then being attacked by the jealous fiancé. Then blowing up that cart of alchemist fire with the missed spell [Scorching Ray]. The only thing going for me was that Gedris was beside it when it blew. But the way my luck is going Master Hanable will be family. When am I going to learn?)

Prologue
The man known as Marek d’Cannith was born 978YK (Current Age – 20) in the city of Eston, in the lands formerly known as Cyre. He is the only child of Dargath ir’Tolin [Wizard] and Jelena d’Cannith [Artificer] now both deceased. While their pairing was not unheard of, it did cause some concern when Dargath abdicated his position as the heir to the Tolin clan (minor noble family from Cyre) to marry Jelena. Many on both sides of the couple thought it a bad idea, some more than others, sure to weaken both bloodlines. But with neither, Jelena nor Dargath, having any desire for leadership they believed themselves safe to raise a family and work their crafts outside of the war raging over the continent.

From a very early age Marek listened to the tales of the war with an intellect far beyond his years. He began to see beyond the tales of adventure, that the costs were far more that the benefits to any person or country. While always a good-hearted child the lessons learned help solidify the traits that would mold the man Marek became in later days. While raised in the relative safety of House Cannith the horror’ of the War were never far from their home. This was never more evident when the families peaceful existence was shatter with violence of the most heinous sort. While still a child (Age 9) Marek and his mother traveled to the Cannith Enclave from their tower to visit family. When they returned their lives would be forever changed. The tower had been ransacked and Dargath killed by brigands. Though eventually the perpetrators would be found and punished the events would be etched into his memory and outlook on life. Shortly after this Jelena petitioned the Patriarch and was recalled to the relatively safer lands of Fairhaven in Aundair. Publicly it was to take a new position within the House. Privately though it was an excuse to take the family away from the horror’ and loss of Dargath.

But his childhood would be cut short soon after arriving in Fairhaven. Like many such moments it began in the most simple of settings. While visiting with his uncle and other family members Marek (Age 11) accidentally broke a rare crystal statuette. To his families’ amazement, before they could react, the boy had called forth the power of the Mark of Making. While many in the family carried the Dragonmark it was years before most had manifested their own Mark. With his families urging he was taken and tested at the city of Arcanix and the Arcane Congress where he was discovered to have a true affinity for the art of magic. After little debate it was decided he would be placed with an old family friend, Magnus Koell, to learn his craft as an apprentice.

Initially young Marek was nervous about leaving home. But after some conversations with family and Magnus his curiosity could not be denied. The chance to learn and see so much became a possibility the boy could not let pass. So shortly after his birthday that year (Age – 12) Marek began his apprenticeship and took his first steps into a much larger world. Over the next 8 years he honed his craft and learn all he could of what Master Koell had to offer. His mentor also took him on various travels, both for research and enlightenment in it’s own right. Together they traveled to the Towers of Arcanix (frequently), the Wizards Enclave in Aundair (occasionally), the Great Library of Korranberg, and the Hall of Arcane Studies in Karrnath, among others places both large and small. For a bright, inquisitive young man it was the best of times, almost idyllic.

But like many things it was not meant to last. As is common among teenagers’ tragedy struck in a moment of passion. Though depending where the story is told, a moment of violence would be more apt. But at its heart it was just a simple mistake concerning a young woman gone horribly wrong. Though granted he never asked, she never told him she was married. When the husband broke into Marek’ room brandishing a sword, Marek quickly did all he could to try and disarm the situation. Unfortunately the man’ temper would not be swayed and he slashed Marek across his ribs. So in defending himself Marek used the most natural weapon he had, his spells. And in a matter of a few seconds the man lay dead at Marek’ feet. So while he had no other choice he regretted the outcome nonetheless.
After that Marek’ life returned to the routine of lessons and assisting Master Koell with his experiments, with only sporadic time for excitement and fun, despite the fact the War was officially coming to an end. But when Marek (Age – 20) had mastered the basics of his craft and passed all the trials set before him, he was told that his time there had come to an end. And he knew just where he wanted to go. He had heard of a group in Karrnath that seemed to be just the sort of adventure he was looking to begin.
[/sblock]

I apologize for the length but I haven't learned how to do the spoiler tabs yet. But I will get on that right after I finish my continuing education class this week.

Thanks! I had seen it before but couldn't remember where.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
[ sblock ] text [ /sblock ] without spaces produces this:
[sblock] text [/sblock]

[ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ] without spaces produces this:

text

Looks good. My request, break the paragraphs up a bit, makes it a bit easier to read. Length isn't a problem (Check out a few of my character backgrounds sometime).

Remove ads