House of the Dragon v Lord of the Rings (poll)

Which one are you liking better?

• House of the Dragon

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • I haven't seen one or both of them

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I like/dislike them equally

Votes: 12 12.0%

AK81

Explorer
I'm a huge Middle Earth nerd and really love that universe. I really like A song of ice and fire universe too, but between the two book universes, Tolkien owns.

When it comes to the television series I think House of the Dragon is a stronger and more interesting show, but I'm excited to see what happened in Rings of Power too. But for now HotD is the stronger show.

HotD feels like it knows how boring it is and needs to throw in gratuitous sex and violence out of fear of losing the audience. I'm kinda done with Targaryen incest too.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's a tough choice, but I think there's a bit too much WTF? going on in RoP that's pulling it down, so I'm preferring HotD for now.

I went with "like both equally." Rings of Power looks absolutely gorgeous, and the diversity is a welcome thing. But I'm also a massive Tolkien fan, and am finding myself more critical of the series when it doesn't hew to the history. Because I'm more invested in it and have read and re-read the Silmarillion; these are stories that have been part of my life for decades. With House of the Dragon, I've read Fire & Blood once, and am able to take it on its own.

Reynard

Legend
I am enjoying RoP -- even if it is a little slow to start -- but my wife and I are holding off on HotD until it is complete. We are wary because of the poor ending of GoT and we want to be able to binge the whole thing -- or stop, if it is terrible.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Paddy is the best actor/actress of either show. Molly and Matt also better than anything so far on lotr
If I were showrunner, I would have made this into more of a Shakespearean tragedy around Viserys, letting him go full King Lear.

Obviously -- I say, as someone who hasn't read Fire and Blood -- this is pretty Shakespearean already, but it feels like a waste of Paddy's talents to not really zero in on him at this stage of the series. (I assume that he eventually dies of tetanus or someone cuts his throat or something. There are certainly no shortage of potential suspects at this point.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If I were showrunner, I would have made this into more of a Shakespearean tragedy around Viserys, letting him go full King Lear.

Obviously -- I say, as someone who hasn't read Fire and Blood -- this is pretty Shakespearean already, but it feels like a waste of Paddy's talents to not really zero in on him at this stage of the series. (I assume that he eventually dies of tetanus or someone cuts his throat or something. There are certainly no shortage of potential suspects at this point.)
Last episode might have had a lot of foreshadowing on this front.

Remove ads