House of the Dragon v Lord of the Rings (poll)

Which one are you liking better?

• House of the Dragon

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • I haven't seen one or both of them

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I like/dislike them equally

Votes: 12 12.0%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Gaiman is saying on Twitter that the show is super-expensive and they will need stellar numbers for a second season. So everyone who likes it should finish the season, since that's one of the tracked metrics by the company.
I liked it okay until I got to episode five. I don't think I'm going to watch anymore.

As the shows go on, it's looking to me like there are two overlapping but actually distinct audiences. I'm not sure how I'd articulate the differences well -- the first descriptors that come to me are dismissive of both audiences, which is deeply unfair -- but I bet market research would show the folks who feel strongly about one of the shows but not the other have other differences that could then be marketed to.
I bet there’s something 2 what you are saying. Almost need a thread for why reasons why they cast their vote

Gadget

Adventurer
I honestly can't see anyone rating RoP that high. The only way I see it as winning out over HoD is for those who prefer more 'family friendly' entertainment. But bland and poorly written & directed family friendly entertainment is still bland and poorly written. And I say that as someone who prefers more family friendly entertainment and does not go for the more gritty, gratuitous stuff in GoT. Maybe it is just the Tolkien fan in me being horrified at how RoP has urinated all over the lore and setting, but I can't stand RoP.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I honestly can't see anyone rating RoP that high. The only way I see it as winning out over HoD is for those who prefer more 'family friendly' entertainment. But bland and poorly written & directed family friendly entertainment is still bland and poorly written. And I say that as someone who prefers more family friendly entertainment and does not go for the more gritty, gratuitous stuff in GoT. Maybe it is just the Tolkien fan in me being horrified at how RoP has urinated all over the lore and setting, but I can't stand RoP.
As a Tolkien novice, what exactly does RoP do to the lore and setting?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I mean I’m a Tolkien fan and don’t think they “urinated” on anything.

Remove ads