How are you planning on Using Modern20?

Urizen

First Post
Dr. Halflight said:
I'm looking to run a game inspired by Hellboy/BPRD. I've downloaded Blood & Vigilance & B&V: Mystic Arts for some inspiration. My set up is that the Enhanced Talents are presumed dead & the PC's, mostly highly trained agents, have to step up. I'm also looking at Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook, but I'll probably use Perks & Feats to get what I'm looking for from PC's. What I like about Modern20's skill & perk system is that it is as modular & simple to eyeball as Chaosium's BRP, but far more robust in every way.
The only other item I'm looking at is either changing HD gain (similar to how Conan D20 does it) starting around Level 5 or out of the gate lowering HP's (similar to how B5 D20 does it).

Hellboy is awesome. Not sure what BPRD is, though I'll probably kick myself when you spell it out. :eek:

I'm not_quite_positive how I want to handle creatures yet. Any changes I might make to the existing format will be geared towards fleshing out a concept I have about just how you go about "killing" a certain creature. More to the point, how to go about defeating a creature.

For instance, with ghosts, I'm playing with the idea that they can't be "killed" in the strictest sense of the word. They can be banished or held at bay by certain materials such as a binding circle, or, to steal from supernatural.....salt, which I suspect has a sound basis in folklore. Must do more research though.

But I digress.

The main point is that creatures will have a specific weakness. If you know the weakness you can go about dealing with these creatures more effectively, which incidentally will make skills like Knowledge (occult lore) very important in this type of game.

FraserRonald

Explorer
Urizen said:
Hellboy is awesome. Not sure what BPRD is, though I'll probably kick myself when you spell it out. :eek:

Ready for the kicking? Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence, the organization that Hellboy's affiliated with, who now have their own comic title as well.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Urizen said:
Ok this sounds interesting.

Care to share more info?
I'd love to see a cheesed-out, cinematic, non-"gritty" (a/k/a non-"realistic") western setting done with these rules. Gimme fun, not real.

I wanna be Blondie or Angel Eyes or Tuco. Hell, even Manco or Col. Mortimer.

I wanna be Death behind a six-gun, spittin' out Hell in the shape of lead.

Last edited:

Urizen

First Post
Wraith Form said:
I'd love to see a cheesed-out, cinematic, non-"gritty" (a/k/a non-"realistic") western setting done with these rules. Gimme fun, not real.

I wanna be Blondie or Angel Eyes or Tuco. Hell, even Manco or Col. Mortimer.

I wanna be Death behind a six-gun, spittin' out Hell in the shape of lead.

YEAH!

That sounds like alot of fun. :)

Though, I have to say Unforgiven and Pale Rider are the coolest Westerns I've ever seen. I'd like to do something like that.

Wraith Form

Explorer
FraserRonald said:
Ready for the kicking? Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence, the organization that Hellboy's affiliated with, who now have their own comic title as well.
And Uri? Kick #2? It's actually really good, just like Hellboy. ;)

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Urizen said:

I'm not_quite_positive how I want to handle creatures yet. Any changes I might make to the existing format will be geared towards fleshing out a concept I have about just how you go about "killing" a certain creature. More to the point, how to go about defeating a creature.

For instance, with ghosts, I'm playing with the idea that they can't be "killed" in the strictest sense of the word. They can be banished or held at bay by certain materials such as a binding circle, or, to steal from supernatural.....salt, which I suspect has a sound basis in folklore. Must do more research though.

But I digress.

The main point is that creatures will have a specific weakness. If you know the weakness you can go about dealing with these creatures more effectively, which incidentally will make skills like Knowledge (occult lore) very important in this type of game.

Uri, I just want you to know that I'm really digging what your sharing with us....if you need a playtest group let me know :)

If you've only seen the Hellboy movie or cartoons, the graphic novels are awesome & the twist about them I really like is that the Supernatural is known & the BPRD & Hellboy aren't hidden. Hellboy is a celebrity.

Remove ads