How do you use a butter knife?

Which side of the knife do you use to spread on bread?

• Curved side (blade) against the bread

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Flat side (back) against the bread

Votes: 2 6.3%

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) WTF is up with that orange coloring, anyways? My wife keeps buying orange "cheddar", and I keep telling her it's the wrong color. (She grew up in Thailand, so proper cheese is a bit foreign to her. And I don't eat fish ball soup, so....)

My wife is from the Philippines. It took a while to prove to her that cheese is not a liquid. :)

(Fish ball soup? That's not so bad. One of the local delicacies here is a duck foetus in its egg eaten out of its shell.)

Janx

Hero
I'm from New Hampshire. As much as I'm loathe to admit it, proper US cheddar comes from Cabot, Vermont. (I'm willing to concede that I have not tried Cheddar cheddar.) All the Wisconsin stuff we get back here is plastic wrapped mass-produced orange stuff.

WTF is up with that orange coloring, anyways? My wife keeps buying orange "cheddar", and I keep telling her it's the wrong color. (She grew up in Thailand, so proper cheese is a bit foreign to her. And I don't eat fish ball soup, so....)

Keep in mind, I am not a cheese expert myself, and am likely misinformed as the Wisconite cult strongly protects the inner secrets of the Wheel of Cheese.

cheese labeled American Cheese isn't cheddar per se. It's funky processed material.

As for cheddar not being orange, that's news to me. though not all cheddars are orange. I suspect it might be a coloring the Wisconites induce to brainwash us into thinking only real cheese is orange.

Or I could be wrong. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Butter knife:

230483122.jpg

Fish knife:

fishknife.jpg

But what is it for?

Eating fish.

Not commonly, though. People usually just use regular dinner knives.

Janx

Hero
Butter knife:

Eating fish.

Not commonly, though. People usually just use regular dinner knives.

I'm certain I've got those in the big box of silverware we got as a wedding present. As in, not presently deployed to the silverware drawer of things we (or anybody else) actually uses.

I guess I've learned something new, which to me, is the point of these kind of threads.

I'd ask how one uses such a knife, but the reality is, I don't like fish, so the more wrongly I can eat it when forced to, the more likely others will not seek to force it upon me :)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I had to laugh (to myself) when someone complained their paneer naan wasn't properly done, because the cheese wasn't melted. (Paneer doesn't melt).

Remove ads